4th&long
MVP

Spurrier signals interest in coaching if XFL returns

Post by 4th&long »

Get your popcorn, and Spurrier would be perfect for Orlando after AAF

https://twitter.com/JoshTheAthletic/sta ... 2835329027

>>Josh Kendall
@JoshTheAthletic
Spoke with Steve Spurrier this week for a June story that I'll think you'll like. Unrelated to that topic but interesting: "If that XFL cranks back up, and they want me to take a team down in Florida, I would probably do it."
11:25 AM · May 29, 2020·Twitter Web App<<
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Re: Spurrier signals interest in coaching if XFL returns

Post by XFLGUY »

Did the XFL ever acquire the names/logos from the AAF? I was just curious if it was possible to resurrect the Apollos in Orlando with Spurrier? Would be interesting getting an Orlando team back in it with him as the coach.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLGUY wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:57 am Did the XFL ever acquire the names/logos from the AAF? I was just curious if it was possible to resurrect the Apollos in Orlando with Spurrier? Would be interesting getting an Orlando team back in it with him as the coach.
I'm not sure who bought those rights (if anyone) but I'm sure their best change to unload them at a profit would be XFL - but don't expect a fortune as the Vipers can just as easily move. But It would be fun and of media interest if the Orlando's and Spurrier both returned as a pkg to the city.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

As a fan, I think a reborn Apollos (and Commanders) in the XFL would be amazing. As a realist, I'm pretty sure they would rebrand to sell another round of jerseys and t-shirts. But fun to think about.

If the league comes back, Spurrier is a must get. Born for an all-access league like the XFL, plays a fun brand of football, and will actually drive local fan interest.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

agree, and I'd also add that the Wildcats should be moved to San Diego. It'd be great to get the fleet back as well.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLGUY wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:14 pm agree, and I'd also add that the Wildcats should be moved to San Diego. It'd be great to get the fleet back as well.
Not likely unless there is expansion or NFL gets involved in ownership.

REASON? LA is 5 times as big a TV market - and the reason the XFL has a post bankruptcy chance is TV ratings which over ALL nets (Cable and Broadcast) 5 weeks was 1.9mm per game. Broadcast alone over 2.2mm. I really think VM F'd up. But someone id going to jump in.

AAF model was smaller cities and less promo. And still did solid, nothing like XFL due to TV makt size though. But as I've said before, AAF key cities were the aforementioned SD and then Phoenix, SA, Orlando and Atlanta. Birm may have been able to get the attendance but not worth the TV. If XFL expands/moves those cities will be on the list. But so will Philly, Portland, SF, R-D, Columbus, etc...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Spurrier would be an upgrade over Trestman, for sure.

As for the Orlando Apollos trademark... the USPTO says the Orlando Apollos trademark is dead (abandoned), meaning the new owners (or anyone else) could easily reclaim it. The Apollos equipment was purchased by Jerry Kurz; Major League Football claims they bought it from Kurz, but I don't know how credible that is.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:41 pm Spurrier would be an upgrade over Trestman, for sure.

As for the Orlando Apollos trademark... the USPTO says the Orlando Apollos trademark is dead (abandoned), meaning the new owners (or anyone else) could easily reclaim it. The Apollos equipment was purchased by Jerry Kurz; Major League Football claims they bought it from Kurz, but I don't know how credible that is.
Interestng - Does reclaiming a trademark cost anything? What are the pros and cons ? Hmmm.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It's quite simple. The Wildcats to SD and the Vipers to Orlando. Maybe if Fox/ABC got it.....they'd keep it as is.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

This is all provided of course there's an America that they can come back to.