Any chance that Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson are involved with the XFL?

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Any chance that Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson are involved with the XFL?

Post by LeoNY »

I know that this sounds ridiculous. Admittedly this might be my worst post on this forum. This is one of those maybe I shouldn’t hit submit moments but what the hell. These boards are about speculation.

Following the XFL and looking for potential news tidbits sends you down a rabbit hole. It’s like finding the upside down STL Easter egg, secondary logos, uniform leaks or a screenshot of the XFL football.

I recently noticed that Eric Galko, The XFL’s Director of Player Personnel followed Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson recently.

607966B6-A4BE-4599-9E60-F0EF6A3F4CE8.jpeg
607966B6-A4BE-4599-9E60-F0EF6A3F4CE8.jpeg (223.24 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

Now, I know we had that fake news of TO being in the XFL’s draft pool. There was a Thomas Owens in the pool. So technically TO was in it. I know that this looks like a post from 2018, where every XFL follower speculated on potential XFL players and listed every name player under the sun but would the league allow OchoCinco and TO to play in the league despite their advanced age.

I am personally not for the XFL becoming a stars from the past based league like the Big 3, but if those two want to play in the league. Would the XFL allow it just for the attention the league may get. Owens favorite coach Larry Kirksey, is in the league coaching the Dragons receivers. TO also has some sort of affiliation with the Freedom Football League, if that ever launches. Chad Johnson has been doing pay per view 40 yard dash contests. Like I said, I am not for it. I just find it interesting that Galko just recently started following them. Perhaps these follows mean that TO and Ocho will be involved in the XFL in some capacity but not as players.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Any chance that Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson are involved with the XFL?

Post by GDAWG »

TO is involved in the Freedom Football League.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm TO is involved in the Freedom Football League.
So was Norm Chow as the coach for their San Diego franchise but he bailed and joined LA.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Even if TO and Ocho Cinco are involved with the XFL, I have my doubts that they would be involved as players.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm TO is involved in the Freedom Football League.
So was Norm Chow as the coach for their San Diego franchise but he bailed and joined LA.
And Marshawn Lynch stole one of their teams, the Oakland Panthers for indoor football.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Is that even a thing still?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

steinerfhc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm
October 8th was their last update on Facebook looking for creative directors for their ten teams, whatever that means. Before that their last post was on September 23rd and before that was August 8th. The issue with the league is most likely financial. When they announced their "Founding 50" of former players, most of the names were a bunch of names nobody had heard of. The biggest names were TO, Jeff Garcia, Byron Chamberlain, Ricky Williams, Simeon Rice and Dexter Jackson but then they started naming guys who were nothing more than practice squad players at best. So instead of the major names we see on NFL broadcasts on Sundays for ESPN, NBC, FOX and CBS, they recruit a bunch of "who's that?" to their Founding 50. Now it might be because none of the bigger names want to jeopardize their relationships with the NFL via those networks. But none of the 50 guys that were involved in the league have the money involved to run a football league. They don't have a guy with money.

The first sign the FFL was in serious trouble was when Norm Chow, one of the Founding 50 (who was supposed to work with the San Diego Warriors) left for the LA Wildcats. The FFL never responded to the loss of Chow. The second sign was 2 months ago when Marshawn Lynch decided to own an Indoor Football League team known as the Oakland Panthers (which was supposed to be one of the names of an FFL team) with the same M.O. as to why the team was named the Oakland Panthers (for the fact that the Black Panther Party originated in Oakland). That indicated to me that the FFL did not trademark the name "Oakland Panthers" and it was free for the IFL to use. The FFL responded that they were surprised that the IFL took that name and that their lawyers were talking to the IFL, but that was in September.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

FFL, Ohio Players baby!!!!!!!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Seriously, if you just google FFL fantasy leagues are the first 100 or so things that pop up. You shouldn't have to work at a search just to find a league that's supposedly legit. Hell reminds me of that semi-pro league in Michigan that was supposedly run by a Patriots practice squadder a few years back.

I wouldn't think that any of these civic leaders are even aware this exists other than maybe the fact they have stadiums that are largely tenant-less and then they're all OH YEAH

Put it this way, here's a league AB could actually buy, would fit with his every-other MUH FREEDOM tweet.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm
steinerfhc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm
October 8th was their last update on Facebook looking for creative directors for their ten teams, whatever that means. Before that their last post was on September 23rd and before that was August 8th. The issue with the league is most likely financial. When they announced their "Founding 50" of former players, most of the names were a bunch of names nobody had heard of. The biggest names were TO, Jeff Garcia, Byron Chamberlain, Ricky Williams, Simeon Rice and Dexter Jackson but then they started naming guys who were nothing more than practice squad players at best. So instead of the major names we see on NFL broadcasts on Sundays for ESPN, NBC, FOX and CBS, they recruit a bunch of "who's that?" to their Founding 50. Now it might be because none of the bigger names want to jeopardize their relationships with the NFL via those networks. But none of the 50 guys that were involved in the league have the money involved to run a football league. They don't have a guy with money.

The first sign the FFL was in serious trouble was when Norm Chow, one of the Founding 50 (who was supposed to work with the San Diego Warriors) left for the LA Wildcats. The FFL never responded to the loss of Chow. The second sign was 2 months ago when Marshawn Lynch decided to own an Indoor Football League team known as the Oakland Panthers (which was supposed to be one of the names of an FFL team) with the same M.O. as to why the team was named the Oakland Panthers (for the fact that the Black Panther Party originated in Oakland). That indicated to me that the FFL did not trademark the name "Oakland Panthers" and it was free for the IFL to use. The FFL responded that they were surprised that the IFL took that name and that their lawyers were talking to the IFL, but that was in September.
I remember reading about it and was supposed to start the same time the XFL is which clearly that ain't happening because they have nothing. Hell St. Louis supposedly has a team. Nothing saying where there supposed to be playing and nothing locally been even said. FFL seems like something that will never happen. They seem they want people to blow money on each team in some way. But that seems have no bites.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I wouldn’t rule out anyone affiliated with the Freedom Football League. Galko following Owens and Johnson recently is interesting but I am not so sure that those guys have anything left in the tank playing wise.

They do both have connections to the league. Chad Johnson was with Jonathan Hayes in Cincy.

As for the Freedom Football League. Just launching a pro football league is difficult. Forget about actually operating it. I give credit to the Alliance for just getting up and running so fast. There are other leagues out there right now who have postponed their launch for quite some time. Like Major League Football, who just recently bought AAF assets, and there’s even the American Patriot League. Who has team locations announced and postponed their season in 2020.