Expansion 2021?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GDAWG »

Logofan wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm I think if the XFL make it to year 2 there will definitely be expansion and maybe a relocation or two.

Based on what we're seeing with NFL results, I don't see LA working out and I think them relocating is a high probability but staying in-state. Maybe SF or Sacramento...SD would be perfect but stadium situation is a question mark.

If either Dallas or Houston stumble, I can see a jump to SA once the dust settles from the AAF mess.

On the expansion side, I think they'll be really strategic with this. Tampa is on an island in the deep south by themselves and there's no midwest presence. I'm thinking Nashville (27th tv market) and Chicago (3rd) would be good choices.

Next wave maybe Phoenix and Denver. That gives them a decent blanket of markets spread across the country. Just my two cents, anyway.
What is with this board's obsession with Chicago for expansion other than market size? Chicago has never supported alternative football leagues, so why would it be different this time around? Market size should not be the only factor for future expansion, fan support also has to be there, and I am skeptical that Chicago will ever support a pro football team that isn't the Bears.

Phoenix did not support the AAF Hotshots, so why would they support an XFL team?
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm
Logofan wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm I think if the XFL make it to year 2 there will definitely be expansion and maybe a relocation or two.

Based on what we're seeing with NFL results, I don't see LA working out and I think them relocating is a high probability but staying in-state. Maybe SF or Sacramento...SD would be perfect but stadium situation is a question mark.

If either Dallas or Houston stumble, I can see a jump to SA once the dust settles from the AAF mess.

On the expansion side, I think they'll be really strategic with this. Tampa is on an island in the deep south by themselves and there's no midwest presence. I'm thinking Nashville (27th tv market) and Chicago (3rd) would be good choices.

Next wave maybe Phoenix and Denver. That gives them a decent blanket of markets spread across the country. Just my two cents, anyway.
What is with this board's obsession with Chicago for expansion other than market size? Chicago has never supported alternative football leagues, so why would it be different this time around? Market size should not be the only factor for future expansion, fan support also has to be there, and I am skeptical that Chicago will ever support a pro football team that isn't the Bears.

Phoenix did not support the AAF Hotshots, so why would they support an XFL team?

I think there's some desire for geographical balance as well. The Midwest isn't really represented in the league (St. Louis is borderline). If the league wants to expand there then Chicago is an obvious candidate. It's also possible when they negotiate for a better TV deal the networks will ask for Chicago to be added to the league.

But I agree, Chicago's track record isn't great and I think the league is going to take climate into serious consideration. If the league does expand into the Midwest I think cities with domes would be more likely options (so Detroit or Indianapolis).
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

My 12 team sim league will hopefully serve as a template of what a 12 team XFL would look like if they make it that far. In addition to six of the eight markets in mine (swap San Antonio and San Francisco for Houston and Seattle) there's also Chicago, Kansas City, Carolina, and Orlando.

I get it, Chicago's not very realistic, (but in my league they also have the most hardware, thus they stay :D) Maybe Detroit or Pittsburgh replaces them.

Orlando would be at the top of the list, even with its "RSTLNE" rep. But it's really more of a case of the leagues failing Orlando, the revived Predators notwithstanding, than vice versa--it ain't like it's Shreveport. Also, brings The War on I-4 to the XFL.

Carolina (I have them in Raleigh) is a nice out of the box pick. When Dundon took over the AAF speculation was that an expansion/relocated team would go there.

Kansas City is a natural for Missouri Mayhem/Battle of I-70/Show Me Showdown/Governors Cup, plus is a dual nod to Lamar Hunt

As far as TV goes, I alternate regional coverage between ABC and FOX, I would assume the same here.

One of the reasons Luck went with Seattle is that, while Oracle Park might have been quaint for the Demons in 2001, the years of hosting occasional games (Redbox Bowl, Cal in 2011) showed it not be lasting as a great football venue. Plus when it was briefly speculated as a one-season home for the Raiders all hell broke loose. So I put the Demons at Stanford Stadium but realistically that ain't happening.

So I think expansion is in the cards, and it will be four instead of two, but we'll see how 2020 goes first.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:28 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

I think there's some desire for geographical balance as well. The Midwest isn't really represented in the league (St. Louis is borderline). If the league wants to expand there then Chicago is an obvious candidate. It's also possible when they negotiate for a better TV deal the networks will ask for Chicago to be added to the league.

But I agree, Chicago's track record isn't great and I think the league is going to take climate into serious consideration. If the league does expand into the Midwest I think cities with domes would be more likely options (so Detroit or Indianapolis).
Detroit, Indy or Minnesota are better options than Chicago. I get the market size for Chicago, but history proves otherwise that Chicago doesn't support any pro football team that isn't the Chicago Bears or any pro football league that isn't the NFL. It's not going to look good for the XFL if they expand to Chicago and only a few hundred people showed up to watch the revived Chicago Enforcers play the Battlehawks.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Although it is an interesting subject to discuss, I just can't see the league expanding until season 4 (assuming there is one). It's all about revenue flow or maybe more correctly, cash outgo. We have been told that they are financially set for 3 years and I don't see a huge revenue stream beginning for at least two or three years. As has been said before, it's all about the TV revenues and those wont be in place in the immediate future. There is a slight possibility that a team might be relocated after season two but other than that, I just don't see it. That said, I am sure that there are longterm expansion plans in place that will have to be tweaked as the league progresses and evaluates its markets, geographical footprint, and certainly money making teams.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Firecop wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:58 pm Although it is an interesting subject to discuss, I just can't see the league expanding until season 4 (assuming there is one). It's all about revenue flow or maybe more correctly, cash outgo. We have been told that they are financially set for 3 years and I don't see a huge revenue stream beginning for at least two or three years. As has been said before, it's all about the TV revenues and those wont be in place in the immediate future. There is a slight possibility that a team might be relocated after season two but other than that, I just don't see it. That said, I am sure that there are longterm expansion plans in place that will have to be tweaked as the league progresses and evaluates its markets, geographical footprint, and certainly money making teams.
A valid point, but also consider:
Two extra teams means an extra game a week. A game that can be sold to another provider if it proves to be a ratings success in Year One. Let's say, for example... NBC sees that it's a hit and decides to buy a weekend evening package ;) Or Sinclair decides to carry games on Stadium and/or its local affiliates and RSN's. And of course, that being a prime time slot, it's more valuable than the afternoon slots it has with ESPN and Fox. So NBC pays.

Purely hypothetical at this point, of course, but McMahon still has that relationship with NBC since USA has RAW and NXT, and there's no Olympic conflict next year, so it's a hypothetical situation that's not out of the realm of plausibility.

(Thank goodness... it was getting quiet here for a while!)
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Youngorst, I'll happily cover that bet. Year 3 12 teams? I don't even think Year 4 for 12 teams. At any rate, send me a private message and we will set the terms of the bet. Obviously, if we don't get to year 3, we'll call it off.

Regards,

Firecop
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Is it too soon to consider expansion? Perhaps, but it gives us something to talk about before the draft.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Certainly not too soon to discuss or even plan for - I hope the league is doing so. IMO though, waaaay too soon to implement in the first 3 years of operation. I enjoy the speculation as to where an expanded league might go to.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Time will tell.