What are your eight XFL Tier One Quarterbacks?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: What are your eight XFL Tier One Quarterbacks?

Post by GDAWG »

XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

youngorst wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:15 pm
Xtremedb3 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 pm He's mentioned it in an interview... I'd say look up his videos.
Googled multiple interviews and listened to multiple other interviews, can't find a single time when Luck or any XFL front office official said "All 8 tier 1 signings will be QBs."

And honestly if they pay Silver 250K simply because he is a QB when he could have been had (quite easily) for significantly less than the XFL is being ran quite foolishly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRV8mz_fNs

That is a relevant interview where he is talking about signing Landry Jones and while he definitely IMPLIES they are seeking QBs with tier 1 money he also talks about the reasons Jones got a tier 1 deal but no "All tier 1 signings will be QBs" in that statement.

Just put yourself in the position of someone with 3+ years of NFL experience who now finds yourself out of work, you've got money in the bank and the XFL calls offering you a tier 2 contract and your agent tells you that an undrafted player who never even played an NFL preseason down just got a tier 1 contract. I bet based on pride alone many of those guys wouldn't sign with the XFL for less than Silvers got. Nor should they.
Silvers was arguably the best AAF QB considering how much he played, is that worth 250k? The XFL is trying to get the best talent possible, and obviously they view one of the best Sun Belt passers ever to be worthy of a spot. It should also be noted that each coach has a role in Tier 1 signings at this point. If he's on three coaches' lists, then he'd be in consideration for a Tier 1 spot.
St. Louis Battlehawks
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

Plus tier 1 is "up to"

people think all tier 1s are getting the max $ amount
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

We heard you for the millionth time Silvers is not worth tier 1 we know where you stand

If tier 1 goes to your starting 8 QBs than my opinion is if the coaches think he San start than Silvers would be worth the nod
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

The best analog I guess we can make is back to 2001, with the first round of the XFL Draft.

Six of the eight first-round picks were quarterbacks. Three ended up being the starters: Casey Weldon, Charley Puleri and Jeff Brohm. The three others? Marcus Crandell got beat out in camp by tenth-round pick Jim Druckenmiller, Chuck Clements got injured (like all of Vegas's QBs, it seems) before the first game and Scott Milanovich got beat out in camp by Tommy Maddox, a territorial pick.

Then there were the other two first-rounders. Both were running backs. Chicago picked John Avery, and San Francisco picked Vaughn Dunbar. Avery turned out to be a smart pick, since he was the league's best RB, though they were hurt by getting stuck with Tim Lester at QB. Dunbar was, without question, a bust.

This raises some issues. The biggest issue is the very real possibility—nay, likelihood—that they could draft a big name quarterback at Tier 1 and that guy turns out not to be starting material. Think Hackenberg-in-Memphis level bust. You're paying 250K or more for a guy who's sitting on the bench or worse, leading your team into oblivion. Now, granted, the quarterbacks the XFL is targeting are a cut above Hackenberg, but this could still very easily be an issue. Paxton Lynch, for example, carries that kind of risk.

I get the Tier 1 allocation process. I have no problem with it so long as it gets fans in the seats and ensures the best overall product. But I firmly believe that if they want to make their marquee player a RB, a WR, a defensive player or even an NFL-caliber lineman... they should have that choice, because these coaches and GMs should not be pigeonholed into paying a particular position far more money than the rest even if that is not the best player on the team.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

So I guess Ryan Mallet is out as a tier 1 QB. As a player?
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Mea culpa! OK, I saw Luck's statement at the Seattle Showcase - Tier 1 is to be QBs. Thanks for showing me that!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Regular Joe wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 pm So I guess Ryan Mallet is out as a tier 1 QB. As a player?
I think so, I don't think the XFL wants negative PR and this would have that if the decide to keep him. They already have an uphill battle just to kick the stink of the 01 XFL. They don't need to add too it.