What are your eight XFL Tier One Quarterbacks?

XFL Football discussion.
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Re: What are your eight XFL Tier One Quarterbacks?

Post by Xtremedb3 »

Plus silvers could be a very low tier 1 but maybe in the contract prevents him to leave until after year 2 in case he does show out.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:38 pm I see the motivation in what Leo is doing here. So many are quick to shoot down players who are suggested as Tier One possibilities but don’t give the eight quarterbacks that they feel are tier one worthy. Some want to do away with the 8 T1 quarterback allocation altogether.

Setting that aside. It’s going to be hard for the league to convince quarterbacks that don’t get signed by an NFL team to sign on. You have to go by the teams and football departments evaluations of who is available. Opinions are going to vary on if Luis Perez, Brandon Silvers or others deserve the designation of “Tier One”. They might be the best of what’s available. I am watching the Minshew effect and there are quarterbacks out there who I feel can be front line starters and stars but experience wins out for me in most cases.

I will play along here; In no particular order

Landry Jones
Ryan Mallett
Sam Bradford
Brock Osweiler
Paxton Lynch
Kevin Hogan
Johnny Manziel
Brandon Silvers

I personally love Silvers. So he’d be on my list of what’s available out there.

You could argue for Kaepernick or Tebow for name value. There are other vets out there with starting experience like Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel. An argument can be made for Tyree Jackson and Devlin Hodges. Two rookies with upside. The league has been in touch with both. The NFL is still real options for both of them right now.
Good list. Not surprised that you would actually list 8 quality quarterbacks. All of these players are good options for the most important position on a team.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Regular Joe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm Johnny Manziel
Tim Tebow
Colin Kapernick
Landry Jones
Ryan Mallett
Sam Bradford
Brock Osweiler
Paxton Lynch
Good group. Those first 3 would draw eyeballs for sure.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

youngorst wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm
LeoNY wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:10 pm Ok. If this was your league. Who would you sign at Quarterback? From the names that are available. Name 3 quarterbacks worthy of starting in your league. Disagree on Silvers and I am sure that Bob Stoops and all the other qualified football people in the league disagree with you as well.
Per usual you substitute what you think I am claiming for what I am actually claiming.

I never (to repeat NEVER) claimed Silvers is NOT XFL starter quality. I never at any time have made any such claim.

My argument is that not every starting QB should require tier 1 money. The 32 highest paid NFL players are not all QBs and the 8 highest paid XFL players do not all have to be QBs.

It is a waste of resources to pay Silvers $400,000 when you could probably get him for $150,000 and use that extra $250,000 to convince a bigger name to play in the XFL instead of moving on from football altogether (such as an 8 year NFL veteran like Quiz Rodgers).
I’d rather have Silvers than Rodgers. Not a bad player. The XFL will be filled with NFL vets like Rodgers. It’s just that football teams value their quarterback more.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Regular Joe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm Johnny Manziel
Tim Tebow
Colin Kapernick
Landry Jones
Ryan Mallett
Sam Bradford
Brock Osweiler
Paxton Lynch
I don't think Sam Bradford plays in the XFL or ever. He has injury issues and I think he may retire.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

First of all I would argue that not all Tier 1 players must be QBs. There are plenty of QBs who have received invites that would allow for some other position to be filled first (i.e. LA signing Shawn Oakman and then drafting Ryan Mallett). But, for the sake of argument, my eight are:

Landry Jones

Brandon Silvers

Ryan Mallett

Cardale Jones (we'll see if he gets out of Seattle's PS)

Paxton Lynch

DeShone Kizer

Devlin Hodges

Tom Savage

Other options:

Tyree Jackson

Quinton Flowers

Luke Falk
St. Louis Battlehawks
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

You mean the XFL commissioner has spoken
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I was wondering about this as well as I never recall reading anything "official" that Tier 1 must be a QB. While most if not all MAY be, I don't believe they have to be. I may be mistaken in that but I can't find it. The market for any kind of marquee player will be what the market will be and I don't think anyone at this point, even the XFL can realistically predict that. A smart coach/gm is going to get the best bang for his buck that he can within the XFL's rules whatever they may be. I got a go with you gorse on this one; time will soon tell.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

He's mentioned it in an interview... I'd say look up his videos.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I was wondering about this as well as I never recall reading anything "official" that Tier 1 must be a QB. While most if not all MAY be, I don't believe they have to be. I may be mistaken in that but I can't find it. The market for any kind of marquee player will be what the market will be and I don't think anyone at this point, even the XFL can realistically predict that. A smart coach/gm is going to get the best bang for his buck that he can within the XFL's rules whatever they may be. I got a go with you gorse on this one; time will soon tell.

It may also be; however unlikely, that a player might choose opportunity over pay,.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair