Another Tier 1 QB Signed

XFL Football discussion.
BPiccolo41
Kicker

Another Tier 1 QB Signed

Post by BPiccolo41 »

I saw this today, but haven't seen it anywhere else. Brandon Silvers signed as a Tier 1 QB. Is this accurate?

https://xflnewsroom.com/xfl-draft-tracker/
Tank55
MVP

Re: Another Tier 1 QB Signed

Post by Tank55 »

Man, I hope not. I know he looked good in the AAF, but signing AAF guys to the Tier 1 contracts completely undermines the narrative of the XFL raising the bar for talent.

EDIT: I have not seen that anywhere else and I'd take most of the information peddled by these types of sites with a big grain of salt.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

BPiccolo41 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:03 pm I saw this today, but haven't seen it anywhere else. Brandon Silvers signed as a Tier 1 QB. Is this accurate?

https://xflnewsroom.com/xfl-draft-tracker/
That's certain news sites jumping the gun on that one because there have been tweets in relation to Silvers being a QB1. The league hasn't confirmed this yet. Silvers got the draft invite and accepted it. Whether or not, he ends up as a Tier One, will be determined by the team priority lists. Silvers is on a few of them. As is Ryan Mallett.

I am a fan of Brandon Silvers and Devlin Hodges. However, these are two players that you can make strong arguments against being Tier 1's. Based on their limited bodies of work. I view both of these players on a high level but not everyone feels that way about them. I think it all depends on what the teams think about them.

For example. Let's pretend that this is LA's list.

Los Angeles
1-Cardale Jones
2-Paxton Lynch
3-Brandon Silvers
4-Kevin Hogan
5-Johnny Manziel
6-Ryan Mallett
7-Connor Cook
8-Luis Perez
9-Tom Savage
10-JT Barrett

The league will negotiate with the top players on each teams list. If Jones and Lynch pass on the XFL for now. Then it's on to the next name on the list. The assumption is that Landry Jones was #1 on the Renegades list. So he's been negotiated with and signed to a contract. The league is now navigating through these names and others as we speak.

Tampa's list may be different that LA's and other teams. The same goes for DC with Pep Hamilton etc
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

That site released the Brandon Silvers news last week, and then deleted it. Maybe they think they know something, but until the league makes it official, it's in the category of fake news.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tron2020
Kicker

Post by Tron2020 »

I actually broke the news last week. Brandon Silvers posted he signed a contract on his FB. Then got in trouble for it and deleted it. So he will be a QB1 even though it is not announced yet. His agent asked XFLNEWSROOM to take it down off his site.
Host of This is the XFL Podcast
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tron2020 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 pm I actually broke the news last week. Brandon Silvers posted he signed a contract on his FB. Then got in trouble for it and deleted it. So he will be a QB1 even though it is not announced yet. His agent asked XFLNEWSROOM to take it down off his site.
Hello Tron. That's not really breaking the news if a player posts that he has signed a contract himself. That's really just passing along his already public information. If Drew Brees announces that he has signed an endorsement deal with Nike. I can't state that I broke the news that Brees has signed with Nike when he posted it himself and did it before I actually did.

It's very possible that Brandon Silvers will be a Tier One Quarterback. Provided that the league only signs eight tier one quarterbacks when the process is over. They might sign 12 quarterbacks to contracts, and then only 8 of them get allocated. One to each individual team. The remaining few go into the draft pool. Silvers can't declare himself a "T1" until the process is over. He might still be announced as one but that's not guaranteed yet. That's why any posting by him or his agent is premature.

I know that there are XFL teams that think very highly of Brandon Silvers. I happen to be a person in that camp. The Dallas Renegades also hold Silvers in high regard. He ran what was essentially Hal Mumme's offense under Bobby Blizzard in Memphis. Blizzard was Mumme's OC in college and they are both on Stoops Dallas staff. Silvers was fantastic in his brief run as a starter for The Express, so I personally have no issues, if a team believes in him and wants to make him their starter. That's their choice.

Just like on this site. There are fans who don't see Silvers as a front line starter and some that do. Same thing with the eight XFL teams. There might be five XFL teams that don't see Silvers or Mallett as front line starters. All it takes is one that does.

Like myself for example. I am a Devlin Hodges guy. I watched him shatter every record in college and his sample size, while small with Pittsburgh, showed how talented he is, despite not having prototypical NFL Quarterback traits. He has star potential. I see it. Some don't. That doesn't matter either way. What matters is what the teams and coaches think. Who the league signs as "Tier 1's" is based solely on who the teams want.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Brandon Silvers would be a quality starter in the league. I think people will feel differently about him once they see him play. I think the coaches are the ones giving the XFL the names of who they want as their starter. So if DC for example wants him and he ends up playing poorly. That’s just like any other team in sports that chooses the wrong player in either free agency or the draft. It’s their choice.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

If this were the fun news that Hunzeker was talking about I'd dig the semi-nod to Bruce Allen/Jim Kelly but as far as Silvers being T1, meh

Let's not forget that Birmingham had his rights and punted on him (although that would be a nice little storyline with him vs LP). That and two of the scariest words in all of football: Christian Hackenberg
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I think Mike broke down the QB process very well but I’m wondering what happens if (when?) two teams both have the same QB as their QB1. It’s not like there’s an easy tiebreaker since they can’t go back to last year’s record and say the worse team gets him. Everybody is essentially in the same spot. Does the player then choose where he wants to go? I’m not sure how fair that is, either. Something to chew on, anyway.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 pm I think Mike broke down the QB process very well but I’m wondering what happens if (when?) two teams both have the same QB as their QB1. It’s not like there’s an easy tiebreaker since they can’t go back to last year’s record and say the worse team gets him. Everybody is essentially in the same spot. Does the player then choose where he wants to go? I’m not sure how fair that is, either. Something to chew on, anyway.
That’s an excellent point. Food for thought for sure. The XFL has to iron out these things for sure. How much of what they do is made public and open?

It’s well known that several XFL teams scouted Cardale Jones in Chargers camp. Marc Trestman and Norm Chow were both spotted at camp scouting him. I am sure that the other teams have an interest in him as well.

Behind closed doors. The league may do a tie breaker scenario where the tier one player is allowed to choose his team. It’s the luxury that the tier itself can afford to the player. We as the public may not be allowed to have knowledge of that process. The knowledge we do get is who ended up where. Not necessarily who wanted whom. It all remains to be seen. This is kind of the league’s only form of free agency.

They could do an eight team single round draft of the tier one quarterbacks signed by the league. Determining draft order alone would probably be a lottery type random deal. You still run into the perception that the team who picked last got their least desired player. Even if it is a quality quarterback.