AAF Teams Names

XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: AAF Teams Names

Post by Andibald »

Ron wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Apollos - The worst name of the bunch. Apollo was a single God. There was not more than one of him.

I agree with you about the name. A give them a slight pass as they referenced the Apollo moon missions also. But your correct, a team name of "Thors" or Zues's" wouldn't be right either.

I do like the logo as it reminds me of the secondary logo for the LA Avengers arena football team. I used a modified version for a fantasy league logo years ago.

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Kind of hard to get into these teams. It’s as if each city drew a straw for a specific color.

I’m a fan of ferocious animal mascots, warrior types. Not sure I’d fly the Stallion banner anytime soon. All others (other than maybe Birmingham) need a complete re-do.

GO FLEET?!?!?!?!? ....(kinda doesn’t work).
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

The AAF tried a mix of standard team names like The Stallions and Express and unique first time names like Fleet, Hotshots and Appolos.

I am lukewarm on their team names overall.

San Diego should have been The Defenders, Destroyers or Soldiers if a military theme was the goal.

Commanders is ok but Legends is awful. Only picked because of the sound of it. The premise is silly. Just sounds campy.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

I like 3 teams in the AAF:

Apollos: Their unis are pretty good+Stephen Morris, a former backup Colts QB who I liked.

Iron: Scott Tolzien, Trent Richardson and Quan Bray, all former Colts players too. Also the Iron branding is pretty good

Stallions: I know it's unpopular here but I like their colors, logos, unis+branding. They don't have any "big" names though...
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 am I like 3 teams in the AAF:

Apollos: Their unis are pretty good+Stephen Morris, a former backup Colts QB who I liked.

Iron: Scott Tolzien, Trent Richardson and Quan Bray, all former Colts players too. Also the Iron branding is pretty good

Stallions: I know it's unpopular here but I like their colors, logos, unis+branding. They don't have any "big" names though...
It’s cool to see some of these players get another shot. Quan Bray if he can stay healthy, can be a big time playmaker. If the AAF had kickoffs, I would have pegged him as the guy to lead that league in kick return average.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I like Orlando’s uniforms and color scheme. The oddsmakers have their team as the league favorite to win a championship based on all their Florida talent.

I am cool with The Iron’s color scheme. The only team in that league that has an all dark color scheme, which is good.

I am fine with The Stallions name. I don’t like their branding.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am

It’s cool to see some of these players get another shot. Quan Bray if he can stay healthy, can be a big time playmaker. If the AAF had kickoffs, I would have pegged him as the guy to lead that league in kick return average.
Yeah Quan Bray has speed, he was so close to making the team last year but he was barely cut. I think he'll be a star in the AAF. I wish he was in the XFL, because the XFL is going to be better IMO.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am The AAF tried a mix of standard team names like The Stallions and Express and unique first time names like Fleet, Hotshots and Appolos.

San Diego should have been The Defenders, Destroyers or Soldiers if a military theme was the goal.

Commanders is ok but Legends is awful. Only picked because of the sound of it. The premise is silly. Just sounds campy.

You would think you’d have to have some history to be a “Legend”.

As a football junkie, I’ll absolutely tune in tho. But based on pure team names,....I don’t get it. Sailors, Firefighters and ponies? Who are they targeting?

I would have liked teams branded like the A11FL, or the former XFL. I’m hoping the New XFL will pull a little from the old league.

Just imagine a cross league game: AAF vs XFL: Hitmen vs the Stallions, or Demons vs the Fleet. Based on pure branding, it’s a no-contest.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

GoDogs wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:38 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am The AAF tried a mix of standard team names like The Stallions and Express and unique first time names like Fleet, Hotshots and Appolos.

As a football junkie, I’ll absolutely tune in tho. But based on pure team names,....I don’t get it. Sailors, Firefighters and ponies? Who are they targeting?

I would have liked teams branded like the A11FL, or the former XFL. I’m hoping the New XFL will pull a little from the old league.

Just imagine a cross league game: AAF vs XFL: Hitmen vs the Stallions, or Demons vs the Fleet. Based on pure branding, it’s a no-contest.
So what would you name the 8 XFL teams GoDogs?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GoDogs wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:38 am

Legends is a silly name. I covered the original XFL on this site and I never personally had an issue with the team names. I can see why the mainstream media would frown upon Maniax but I thought that the original XFL names were perfectly fine. It was close but there were no teams called The Thugz or The Gangstaz.