Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by LeoNY »

Sounder wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:53 pm Ok here's a challenge for you all:

Can you come up with seven more top tier qb prospects without saying the names "Tebow" or "Kaepernick". I have to give in to Manziel because he'll be there. As well as a rookie with high upside like Jake Browning......I'd like a guy who never really got a shot due to missing time with injury issues.....Teddy Bridgewater.
I think most of them are in NFL camps right now.

I would assume Brandon Silvers and Ryan Mallet but they may be a part of the draft and not necessarily the top tier. Same with Connor Cook and Zach Mettenberger.

Johnny Manziel is possible.

If I were guessing. Some of the names are from this group. It’s Cardale Jones, Brian Hoyer, Kevin Hogan, Paxton Lynch, Geno Smith, Josh Dobbs, Sam Bradford, Brock Osweiler, Garrett Gilbert, Jeff Driskel, Jake Browning, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, Chad Kelly, Mike Glennon, Kyle Lauletta, Colt McCoy, JT Barrett, Davis Webb and John Wofford.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Can you come up with seven more top tier qb prospects without saying the names "Tebow" or "Kaepernick". I have to give in to Manziel because he'll be there. As well as a rookie with high upside like Jake Browning......I'd like a guy who never really got a shot due to missing time with injury issues.....Teddy Bridgewater.
Brandon Silvers who was one of the standouts in the AAF. He has been invited but not signed yet. Tebow shouldn't even be in the talks since he not playing football and his focus hasn't been in years, people should get off the idea of him playing. Colin should because nobody in the NFL is going to sign him after being out for so long. If he wants to prove himself, the XFL is more likely the way. Not saying he will sign or will be one of the other seven. Just saying my piece of him.

If I would to bet, Silvers would be one of them. Bridgewater is a nice pick and no idea what his status is. This would be a good place to show his worth since after the knee injury never had a chance to show what he has since he always been over shadowed by someone else who plays good enough to now allow him to play.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Nice list, LeoNY. The losers of the QB2 battles in San Francisco and Seattle both make a lot of sense. CJ Beathard, grandson of famed Redskins GM Bobby Beathard, landing in DC would be funny. His uncle, Kurt Beathard, was the starting quarterback for the Washington Commandos in Arena League's first season in 1987.

Bridgewater's not going to be available. The Saints invested a lot in him and he passed up the chance to compete for the starting job in Miami because he likes New Orleans so much.

Colt McCoy might never be 100% healthy again (bravo, Redskins), and he's a guy who has already made a lot of money. I just don't think he profiles to an XFL guy.

I'll keep throwing out Jeremiah Masoli as a real possibility.

Hopefully the coaches are driving the conversation here. Stoops identifies someone he wants who is available; XFL makes it happen. Repeat seven times.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Part of interview posted by the XFL of Oliver Luck on The Herd.

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1162 ... 48288?s=20

Also Oliver Luck message on social media.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1162 ... 04930?s=20
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.
Even in the middle of NFL training camps and preseason?!?! ;)
@gregmparks
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the deal ever get released. Was the pot sweetened to get Landry on board now. With him getting sniffs from NFL teams recently.

What will also be interesting is how the XFL creatively puts Landry Jones up in Dallas with Bob Stoops, Hal Mumme and Daryl Moose Johnston.
During Oliver Luck’s interview with Cowherd today. Which I gotta go back and listen to again. He was asked about quarterback pay in the XFL and Oliver did not give out a specific number. It would not shock me in the slightest if Landry Jones is getting a bit more than what the league has initially earmarked for their top tier quarterbacks. The XFL average for their head coaches is supposed to be 500k per year but would anyone be shocked if Stoops is getting paid more than that.

By the way Bob Stoops posted on Twitter about Landry Jones a little while ago. Touting that Landry Jones is #3 all time in passing yards in NCAA history.

Talk about tipping your hat. There’s no way Landry won’t be playing in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStoops/stat ... 86466?s=20
I recall someone giving me a hard time a few months ago when I tweeted about the XFL finding a way for Manziel and Jones to play in Houston and Dallas respectively. 🙂
Attachments
44713F52-9AAD-40D8-8876-1AFB8DA9902E.jpeg
44713F52-9AAD-40D8-8876-1AFB8DA9902E.jpeg (130.79 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GregParks wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm
Even in the middle of NFL training camps and preseason?!?! ;)
Lol

Somehow someway it’s one of the top trends on Twitter right now. On the day of NFL games no less.

The XFL should postpone their draft, player signings, league rules, team schedules, ticket sales, training camps, the jersey reveals, the season and the playoffs because they all happen during the NFL preseason, NFL regular season, the NFL playoffs, the NFL free agency period and The NFL draft.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the deal ever get released. Was the pot sweetened to get Landry on board now. With him getting sniffs from NFL teams recently.

What will also be interesting is how the XFL creatively puts Landry Jones up in Dallas with Bob Stoops, Hal Mumme and Daryl Moose Johnston.
During Oliver Luck’s interview with Cowherd today. Which I gotta go back and listen to again. He was asked about quarterback pay in the XFL and Oliver did not give out a specific number. It would not shock me in the slightest if Landry Jones is getting a bit more than what the league has initially earmarked for their top tier quarterbacks. The XFL average for their head coaches is supposed to be 500k per year but would anyone be shocked if Stoops is getting paid more than that.

By the way Bob Stoops posted on Twitter about Landry Jones a little while ago. Touting that Landry Jones is #3 all time in passing yards in NCAA history.

I recall someone giving me a hard time a few months ago when I tweeted about the XFL finding a way for Manziel and Jones to play in Houston and Dallas respectively. 🙂
You got my tweet in there with you. I am 2020Hindsight. I didn’t think that the league would have allocations because the commissioner said there wouldn’t be.

You were right and it makes sense to do it for the top tier players.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Teddy is not an option this year. Saints just gave him a new deal. I could see the Vikings keeping Browning, their QB situation is usually shaky at best.

I'd go with:

Trevor Siemian

Paxton Lynch

Cardale Jones

John Wolford

Garrett Gilbert

Nick Mullens

Johnny Manziel
St. Louis Battlehawks
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm

You got my tweet in there with you. I am 2020Hindsight. I didn’t think that the league would have allocations because the commissioner said there wouldn’t be.

You were right and it makes sense to do it for the top tier players.
Yeah I remember, I just felt that it made too much sense for them not to do it.
Also, it’s good to be able to place the twitter name with your name on here, I feel like we spend a lot of time arguing with the same knuckleheads on Twitter.