XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by Tank55 »

Via press release:
For Immediate Release

XFL SCORES FIRST QUARTERBACK

Stamford, Conn., August 15, 2019 – Landry Jones has signed with the XFL.

The former University of Oklahoma standout and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will play for one of the XFL’s eight teams.

“We’re excited to welcome Landry to the XFL as our first player and first quarterback,” said XFL Commissioner and CEO, Oliver Luck. “He’s an accomplished athlete with outstanding college credentials and pro experience, and his heart and desire to play football epitomizes the type of individual we want in the XFL.”

“I’m looking forward to joining the XFL and playing the game I love,” said Jones. “I can’t wait to suit-up.”

Jones spent six seasons in the National Football League with the Pittsburgh Steelers and stints with the Oakland Raiders and the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Artesia, New Mexico native attended the University of Oklahoma (2009-12), where he set Big 12 Conference records in passing yards (16,646), completions (1,388) and touchdown passes (123). As a senior, Jones earned All-Big 12 second-team honors. In 2010, he won the Sammy Baugh Award, given to the nation’s top collegiate passer.

The XFL will sign seven other leading quarterbacks before its inaugural player draft in October and each team’s Head Coach will select their quarterback just prior to the draft. Details about the draft will be shared at a later date.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MikeMitchell »

Oliver Luck is on the Herd right now making this announcement. 7 other quarterbacks are going to be signed to go along with Landry Jones in the league’s top tier category.

League hasn’t determined yet how the 8 quarterbacks will be distributed.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm Oliver Luck is on the Herd right now making this announcement. 7 other quarterbacks are going to be signed to go along with Landry Jones in the league’s top tier category.

the fact that Colin Cowherd would ever interview an employee of Vince McMahon surprises me since for years he has bashed pro wrestling and has called pro wrestling fans "booger eaters"
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm Oliver Luck is on the Herd right now making this announcement. 7 other quarterbacks are going to be signed to go along with Landry Jones in the league’s top tier category.

the fact that Colin Cowherd would ever interview an employee of Vince McMahon surprises me since for years he has bashed pro wrestling and has called pro wrestling fans "booger eaters"
Colin is a huge supporter of The XFL and has been since the announcement. He is the one who has predicted success for the league. Cowherd and Joy Taylor his host, talked today about how brilliant the XFL is set up and loves that they are not a developmental league.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Colin is a huge supporter of The XFL and has been since the announcement. He is the one who has predicted success for the league. Cowherd and Joy Taylor his host, talked today about how brilliant the XFL is set up and loves that they are not a developmental league.
It's still surprising to me that Colin would interview and be nice to an employee of Vince McMahon.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

:lol: that there are six posts on the XFL Reddit page about this.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

That should tell you how far the current XFL is separated from the pro wrestling business. It speaks well to the league's credibility that one can vehemently hate pro wrestling and still like what the league is becoming.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the deal ever get released. Was the pot sweetened to get Landry on board now. With him getting sniffs from NFL teams recently.

What will also be interesting is how the XFL creatively puts Landry Jones up in Dallas with Bob Stoops, Hal Mumme and Daryl Moose Johnston.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Ok here's a challenge for you all:

Can you come up with seven more top tier qb prospects without saying the names "Tebow" or "Kaepernick". I have to give in to Manziel because he'll be there. As well as a rookie with high upside like Jake Browning......I'd like a guy who never really got a shot due to missing time with injury issues.....Teddy Bridgewater.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the deal ever get released. Was the pot sweetened to get Landry on board now. With him getting sniffs from NFL teams recently.

What will also be interesting is how the XFL creatively puts Landry Jones up in Dallas with Bob Stoops, Hal Mumme and Daryl Moose Johnston.
During Oliver Luck’s interview with Cowherd today. Which I gotta go back and listen to again. He was asked about quarterback pay in the XFL and Oliver did not give out a specific number. It would not shock me in the slightest if Landry Jones is getting a bit more than what the league has initially earmarked for their top tier quarterbacks. The XFL average for their head coaches is supposed to be 500k per year but would anyone be shocked if Stoops is getting paid more than that.

By the way Bob Stoops posted on Twitter about Landry Jones a little while ago. Touting that Landry Jones is #3 all time in passing yards in NCAA history.

Talk about tipping your hat. There’s no way Landry won’t be playing in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStoops/stat ... 86466?s=20