Tennessee Titans GM Jon Robinson assists Daryl Johnston with player list to scout for The XFL

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Tennessee Titans GM Jon Robinson assists Daryl Johnston with player list to scout for The XFL

Post by LeoNY »

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/yazoo ... or-the-xfl

If you get a chance. Check out the interview in the link above. I am surprised that more shows haven’t interviewed Daryl Johnston at this point.

As The Director of Player Personnel for XFL Dallas. Moose has been at a few NFL camps already scouting players. His job with Fox also gives him access. Johnston during this interview said that Titans GM Jon Robinson gave Moose a list of players that are currently on Tennessee’s roster for him to consider for XFL Dallas. Probably the 3rd and 4th stringers that are longshots to make the Titans 53 player roster or 10 player practice squad.

This is a good interview. Moose talks about Bob Stoops, Vince McMahon, Hal Mumme, The NFL, players from the AAF currently in NFL camps and even the state of the fullback position in pro and college football. It’s worth checking out.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Tennessee Titans GM Jon Robinson assists Daryl Johnston with player list to scout for The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell »

You beat me to the punch Leo. I was just going to post this interview as well. It's not a clickbait post. The quote in the interview from Daryl Johnston is "Jon Robinson was kind enough to give me a list of guys that I should pay attention to".

This was reference to a question in the middle of the interview where Moose was asked about how he was scouting the bottom end of the Titans roster during practices. The 53 to 90 player area.

It's really no surprise that XFL scouts and their team player personnel people would have connections and assistance from current NFL GM's in these camps. It's pretty accommodating for an NFL GM to give another pro league GM a list of potential players. Moose has so many connections and a network full of people in the NFL that like him, that it doesn't surprise me.

XFL NY's Trip MacCracken has also been out at Jets and Giants camp. He is close friends with Phil Savage, who is now with The Jets. So I am sure that he has gotten the same type of treatment.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Tennessee Titans GM Jon Robinson assists Daryl Johnston with player list to scout for The XFL

Post by LeoNY »

Moose also mentioned positional drafts and a two day drafting process.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Positional drafts simplifies strategy for the GMs and helps keep quality even. As teams seek individual identities, I'm not sure those are things worth prioritizing, but I see the appeal.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 pm It's really no surprise that XFL scouts and their team player personnel people would have connections and assistance from current NFL GM's in these camps. It's pretty accommodating for an NFL GM to give another pro league GM a list of potential players. Moose has so many connections and a network full of people in the NFL that like him, that it doesn't surprise me.

XFL NY's Trip MacCracken has also been out at Jets and Giants camp. He is close friends with Phil Savage, who is now with The Jets. So I am sure that he has gotten the same type of treatment.
This was my takeaway as I just finished listening to the interview. It's something I hadn't considered but seems so obvious now, that XFL Personnel Directors and scouts must have so many NFL connections that talking to GMs and coaches as Moose has done can give some real insight into what players might be available to the XFL and some details about them. That can be valuable when you're starting a league from scratch and have to scout 800+ players in a few months time.

I hesitate to say anything about Moose's comments about the XFL Draft because I didn't really understand what he was saying - that some parts of the draft would be open (two parts, I think he mentioned) and some would be position-specific. I'm not sure how that'll be done. One of the things we've talked about here is not being sure how the XFL would be setting up their draft - and I come away from this even more confused.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 pm It's really no surprise that XFL scouts and their team player personnel people would have connections and assistance from current NFL GM's in these camps. It's pretty accommodating for an NFL GM to give another pro league GM a list of potential players. Moose has so many connections and a network full of people in the NFL that like him, that it doesn't surprise me.

This was my takeaway as I just finished listening to the interview. It's something I hadn't considered but seems so obvious now, that XFL Personnel Directors and scouts must have so many NFL connections that talking to GMs and coaches as Moose has done can give some real insight into what players might be available to the XFL and some details about them. That can be valuable when you're starting a league from scratch and have to scout 800+ players in a few months time.

I hesitate to say anything about Moose's comments about the XFL Draft because I didn't really understand what he was saying - that some parts of the draft would be open (two parts, I think he mentioned) and some would be position-specific. I'm not sure how that'll be done. One of the things we've talked about here is not being sure how the XFL would be setting up their draft - and I come away from this even more confused.
It’s hard to pinpoint anything when it comes to the terms of the draft setup. 70 players per team and we are talking about 70 rounds of players being drafted.

Everyone in the league is super busy. The personnel members for each team are scouting the NFL heavily at the moment. It helps when you have XFL Personnel who have direct ties to NFL teams, or that are coming directly from the NFL last season. Like Joey Clinkscales, Winston Moss, Jon Hayes etc

September is going to be a crazy month for the league’s decision makers. Once NFL cuts happen.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

There are quite a few connections between XFL Personnel and the NFL. Kevin Gilbride’s son is on Matt Nagy’s Bears staff. So is current XFL NY DFO Chris Thompson. He is interning with the Bears a s a coach this summer. That type of intel on the Bears roster alone will be a tool for XFL NY.