What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

Post by LeoNY »

One of the things that I am looking forward to is the release of the XFL team schedules. I wonder if this is when the XFL will announce the location and name of their championship game.

The original XFL championship game was held at the site of the team with the best record overall. Depending on venue schedules. I wouldn’t mind if the league did that again. It’s a reward for the team with the best overall record.

If the XFL goes with a neutral site. Where should the game be? The AAF scheduled their championship in Vegas before moving it to Jerry Jones practice facility.

The name of the game itself is another story. No Big game at the end or Million Dollar Game this time. Does the XFL brand this game with Bowl in the title like The Alpha Bowl or XFL Bowl or does the league just go the generic route with The XFL Championship game.

Could the game be named after a historic football figure. Like the Lombardi trophy but perhaps dedicated to the first pro football player ever in William "Pudge" Heffelfinger. Not sure if that name has a good ring to it. The Heffelfinger trophy might not sound great but he’s the first football player to ever be paid to play. Something like that could be a way of honoring the history of pro football.

This is probably a topic that only I care about but I was wondering what everyone else’s thoughts were.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Re: What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

Post by XFLGUY »

Not sure about the name of the championship game, but I definitely think the name of the trophy awarded to the winner should be the McMahon trophy.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Depending on how attendance pans out, the game should be held in St. Louis or Washington, and then rotate throughout every stadium, kind of like the Super Bowl. At this time, St. Louis should have the best home fans, and Audi is compact enough that it should look good for TV regardless of attendance (as long as the attendance is in any way respectable).

The game should probably just be the XFL Championship Game for now. Although I do like the Alpha Bowl.
St. Louis Battlehawks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

At the start, it should be whoever has the best record in the league should host the championship.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Best record hosts the game for me. It’s easier and a better bet to insure that fans from that team watch the game in attendance. There is the possibility depending on how the playoffs are structured of two teams with the same record who split their season series playing each other. If they are from the same division. The issue there would be determining who would host in that scenario. Perhaps it could be a division record tie breaker or total points kind of thing.

It’s tempting to do a test site for the championship game as a means for potential expansion but it’s difficult on short notice to get two fan bases to travel cross country in a 6 or 7 day span. Vegas would have been cool for the AAF but they barely sold any tickets and found a way to shelf it.

Alpha Bowl has a nice ring to it. A McMahon trophy would be hilarious. I am not sure about the design. It’s not a bad idea to name the championship trophy after a historic football figure.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Alpha Bowl has been my favorite suggestion so far. Until the league builds a strong following it's probably best to give home field to the top seed.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'd make it Commissioner's discretion and give it to a team with a worse record (or even a team not playing) if it's going to have a meaningful impact on the atmosphere. Stadium availability is also going to be a factor.

I also like Alpha Bowl but also agree XFL Championship is probably the more prudent move for Year 1.

The real question is if they hand out belts rather than a trophy and/or rings.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm I'd make it Commissioner's discretion and give it to a team with a worse record (or even a team not playing) if it's going to have a meaningful impact on the atmosphere. Stadium availability is also going to be a factor.

I also like Alpha Bowl but also agree XFL Championship is probably the more prudent move for Year 1.

The real question is if they hand out belts rather than a trophy and/or rings.
Commissioners discretion is an interesting idea. If it’s a neutral site. I am ok with anyone of the league’s 8 team homes. It’s just the logistics of let’s pretend having Dallas and Tampa fans travel to St. Louis for the game.

The Alpha Bowl suggestion seems to have gone over well. Just spitballing an idea really. Naming the game after the league’s parent company but Alpha has multiple meanings so it has a grand name appeal to it.

The WWE gives out championship belts with championship sports teams. Even though the league doesn’t want to have any wrestling connections. I know that if I were a player, I’d love to get a championship title.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Somebody amongst this board brought forth the moniker "X Bowl" and I still enthusiastically endorse that. Because this is the X-fl.......and no one ever made it clear what the X stands for. It just is. So it makes perfect sense and it will market well.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Sounder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 pm Somebody amongst this board brought forth the moniker "X Bowl" and I still enthusiastically endorse that. Because this is the X-fl.......and no one ever made it clear what the X stands for. It just is. So it makes perfect sense and it will market well.
X Bowl could be fine. Maybe the trophy could be the league’s X designed football. Which is supposed to help players in catching the ball but the ball itself could also end up being what the trophy looks like with the X being prominently on display.