AAF Teams Names

XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

AAF Teams Names

Post by Andibald »

4 of 8 AAF teams announced today. The rest next week.

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: AAF Teams Names

Post by Andibald »

Hopefully the XFL will announce some cities soon!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Last edited by Andibald on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I think the XFL will do better ;)

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Why are all teams in the south? A lot of room for the XFL to choose from. ;)
Ready for the team reveals...again
Ron
Kicker

Post by Ron »

Andibald wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 am I think the XFL will do better ;)
I think the XFL will do better as well because they will go for a healthy mix a large markets and medium markets.

I do not like Fleet, Legends, or Hotshots, and Apollos is a downright awful name. The AAF has screwed up right out of the gate. I wonder if they are getting funds from the NFL? If not, there is no way the AAF lasts. It's not going to generate enough advertising revenue in the markets it chose.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

The only solid team name is the Stallions. Left a lot of team names for the XFL on the table as well.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I'm not impressed with these choices but like parts of most.

Here are my rankings based on name,logo, and video:

Apollos - I like the logo. I would like to see a mirror image for the other side of the helmet. I would rather the name be something like the Arrows (as in Apollos Arrows).

Iron - I like the name and something Iron related was expected. The logo is a bit plain but it fits the name.

Express - I like the name but not the logo. I don't like directional logos that cannot be flipped or mirrored on the helmet. Low level indoor football have these kind of logos.

Commanders - I like the logo though it is a bit directional. Don't like the name. A team full of commanders is a team with none.

Stallions - Cool logo and name but I am not a big fan of horse related names for football.

Hotshots - Nice logo. The name fits but I can't help but see Hotshorts or Hotpants or Hotwheels or cocky hotshots. Also, the video didn't really show any hotshots but showed john mccain and I would rather stay away from political figures.

Fleet - Logo is basic and the name is bad. I get the idea but as someone else said, it reminds me of a rental car fleet. Also, a name ending with a "t" is hard to enunciate properly and most don't sound a hard T which makes a possibly sounding like flee.

Legends - Bad name. Not a fan of crowns for football logos and this is rather plain. Also, after watching the video, I think of civil rights and baseball instead of football.

Ron
Kicker

Post by Ron »

Andibald wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:49 pm I'm not impressed with these choices but like parts of most.

Here are my rankings based on name,logo, and video:

Apollos - I like the logo. I would like to see a mirror image for the other side of the helmet. I would rather the name be something like the Arrows (as in Apollos Arrows).

Iron - I like the name and something Iron related was expected. The logo is a bit plain but it fits the name.

Express - I like the name but not the logo. I don't like directional logos that cannot be flipped or mirrored on the helmet. Low level indoor football have these kind of logos.

Commanders - I like the logo though it is a bit directional. Don't like the name. A team full of commanders is a team with none.

Stallions - Cool logo and name but I am not a big fan of horse related names for football.

Hotshots - Nice logo. The name fits but I can't help but see Hotshorts or Hotpants or Hotwheels or cocky hotshots. Also, the video didn't really show any hotshots but showed john mccain and I would rather stay away from political figures.

Fleet - Logo is basic and the name is bad. I get the idea but as someone else said, it reminds me of a rental car fleet. Also, a name ending with a "t" is hard to enunciate properly and most don't sound a hard T which makes a possibly sounding like flee.

Legends - Bad name. Not a fan of crowns for football logos and this is rather plain. Also, after watching the video, I think of civil rights and baseball instead of football.

I will add my own individual analysis as well:

Apollos - The worst name of the bunch. Apollo was a single God. There was not more than one of him.

Iron - This is a strong name, and in fact I suggested it on the UFL Access message boards when the UFL was considering locations. It pays homage to Alabama's very important iron industry.

Express - This is a descent name that pays homage to the shipping industry based in Memphis. I have no complaints with this name.

Commanders - This is a strong name. Maybe my favorite of the bunch.

Stallions - This isn't a horrible name, but I agree that another horse name is kind of boring.

Hotshots - This is a bad name. For non-Arizonians it kind of has a comedic feel (sometimes associated with the comedy film by the same name). I understand they were trying to pay homage to Arizona's military heroes, but some might see it as cheap.

Fleet - This is a weak name. Destroyers, Cruisers, or Carriers would have made for a stronger team nickname.

Legends - This is a terrible name and logo. Who playing on this team is going to be considered a "legend?" When you have publicly stated that you consider yourself a developmental league and will not attempt to compete with the NFL, you should have a little more humility.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I'm thinking that I will like most, if not all, of the XFL names/logos more than any of the AAF. It seems that the names and logos came from the front office with no imput from the local office or fan base. I hope the XFL learns from this.