XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Updated XFL Team Staffs

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm

It may be difficult, but it would have been bad PR if the XFL blocked any of their coaches from pursuing NFL opportunities if one was offered to them.
I understand that for sure. The players, once they are drafted in October, can’t leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends. No such clause for the coaches. If the Cowboys want Bob Stoops and he wants them. Bob leaves for Dallas before the XFL season starts. This is what I wrote about in my challenges article.
Especially if Sean Payton says no to Dallas. From what I have heard, he's still the Cowboys top choice just in case Jason Garrett falters. They will probably "adhere" to the Rooney Rule by "interviewing" DB Coach Kris Richard (pronounced as Re'shard) and then proceed to hire Payton or Stoops. It's a make or break year for Jason Garrett.
As an XFL fan. I am rooting for The Cowboys to make the playoffs but I have a feeling that they won’t.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Todd Washington leaving XFL DC for the Jets happened because he had a connection to new Jets GM Joe Douglas from their days together with the Ravens and beyond.

So losing an assistant now is very rare because most staffs are completely filled but since the Jets had a late change at their GM spot. This created an opening.

The real area of potential loss of XFL coaches will be in that area where the NFL and college seasons end. When current staffs are let go and new staffs are formed.

In the AAF, they had some coaches bail who didn’t have other jobs. Like Hal Mumme and Michael Cick for example.

Others like Cadillac Williams who left the Iron for Auburn and Jon Kitna who left San Diego for a chance to coach the quarterbacks with the Cowboys. These coaches had openings become available and they had connections to those landing spots. You certainly can’t blame these guys for making those decisions.

It will happen with current XFL staffs for sure. How the league responds to losing coordinators and assistant coaches will be very important.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1153 ... 12710?s=20

XFL Dallas posted on their Twitter account their coaching staff and front office hires.

Dave Boller was officially announced as The Manager of Football Operations. He’s been in that role for a couple of months. The former GM of the San Diego Fleet joined Daryl Johnston’s front office along with Robert Morris before the Summer Showcases began.

Former JMU Head Coach Mickey Matthews was also announced as the team’s linebackers coach.

All the staff updates are on the main post of this thread. There are still some names that the league hasn’t officially announced yet.

Some roles on staffs are being redefined as well. I made some slight changes to staff titles based on info, I have received recently
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Mickey Matthews is a character. If the XFL can mic up all of these guys on the sidelines, it's going to be quite the show.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 pm Mickey Matthews is a character. If the XFL can mic up all of these guys on the sidelines, it's going to be quite the show.
Matthews is a strange bird for sure. He and Winston Moss might be mic’d up a lot by the league.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm It may be difficult, but it would have been bad PR if the XFL blocked any of their coaches from pursuing NFL opportunities if one was offered to them.
I understand that for sure. The players, once they are drafted in October, can’t leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends. No such clause for the coaches. If the Cowboys want Bob Stoops and he wants them. Bob leaves for Dallas before the XFL season starts. This is what I wrote about in my challenges article.
That's interesting.

I remember the old XFL didn't have that kind of exclusivity clause. They let Jeff Brohm, for example, play the last couple weeks with the Cleveland Browns after they needed a backup before the start of the Orlando Rage season.

Of course, Jeff Brohm was an XFL loyalist through and through already and was already committed. The last thing they want is another case like Josh Johnson in the AAF, where they sign the guy as their number-one QB and then he bolts to the NFL and never comes back. (Interestingly, Johnson's still available.)
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

Catherine Raiche is out in Tampa, as she has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status ... 75520?s=21
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 am Catherine Raiche is out in Tampa, as she has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles.

I saw that and made the update in the original post. She’s very talented. It’s part of her dream. I am sure that she is very happy.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 am Catherine Raiche is out in Tampa, as she has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles.

I am honestly more disappointed with this than I am with the team identities not being revealed yet. We are eventually going to get the names. You can’t lose them once they arrive.

Good for Catherine Raiche. I am not upset with her for taking the NFL gig but it’s a loss for the league when they hire a quality person and lose them so fast.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 pm

I am honestly more disappointed with this than I am with the team identities not being revealed yet. We are eventually going to get the names. You can’t lose them once they arrive.

Good for Catherine Raiche. I am not upset with her for taking the NFL gig but it’s a loss for the league when they hire a quality person and lose them so fast.
Solid take. There’s no getting around this aspect. The NFL is the pinnacle when it comes to pro football. So when they come calling. You have to go. Especially if you are someone like Raiche, whose entire goal is to move up the ladder in the front office of a pro football team in the states.

The last two XFL departures to the NFL can be loosely tied into the Jets late GM change and hiring of Joe Douglas. The departure of Douglas from Philly created an opening in their front office. Todd Washington leaving XFL DC for the Jets is a direct tie in to his relationship with Joe Douglas. They go back to Baltimore together and beyond. There’s a close relationship there.