Who do you want to see ABC, Fox and ESPN hire to do XFL games?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Who do you want to see ABC, Fox and ESPN hire to do XFL games?

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 pm This is probably more wishful thinking than serious idea, but beloved Washington Wizards play by play man Steve Buckhantz was unceremoniously (and inexplicably) forced out after 22 seasons. Getting him involved in some form would be an easy way to score some goodwill with fans and media in the D.C. market. He's best known for basketball, but has called NFL on FOX and radio for Navy football.

Will they have local radio partners? If so, I'm upgrading this to serious idea.
In a recent press scrum that Oliver Luck had at the Seattle Showcase. He mentioned that the league is in talks with national syndicators. So I think some form of radio type coverage will be in play. I like your idea. On the local side, you definitely want people, with whom the audience has familiarity and ties to.
That is why Kurt Warner would be great for the St. Louis radio broadcasts. In Dallas, there are three sports radio stations: 1310 KTCK (Dallas Stars), 105.3 The Fan (Cowboys and Rangers) and ESPN 103.3 (Mavericks). I have no idea who would do the Dallas games on the radio.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:21 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 pm This is probably more wishful thinking than serious idea, but beloved Washington Wizards play by play man Steve Buckhantz was unceremoniously (and inexplicably) forced out after 22 seasons. Getting him involved in some form would be an easy way to score some goodwill with fans and media in the D.C. market. He's best known for basketball, but has called NFL on FOX and radio for Navy football.

Will they have local radio partners? If so, I'm upgrading this to serious idea.
In a recent press scrum that Oliver Luck had at the Seattle Showcase. He mentioned that the league is in talks with national syndicators. So I think some form of radio type coverage will be in play. I like your idea. On the local side, you definitely want people, with whom the audience has familiarity and ties to.
That is why Kurt Warner would be great for the St. Louis radio broadcasts. In Dallas, there are three sports radio stations: 1310 KTCK (Dallas Stars), 105.3 The Fan (Cowboys and Rangers) and ESPN 103.3 (Mavericks). I have no idea who would do the Dallas games on the radio.
Who does the Cowboy games and college football games in Dallas?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm

105.3 does Cowboys games and various stations do college football games.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 pm

No I mean.... The actual broadcasters who do the games on radio.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg have done Cowboys games since 2007. The college games have their own announcers, too many to name.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 am
LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg have done Cowboys games since 2007. The college games have their own announcers, too many to name.
In that case. It could be anyone from that group.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Looks like Mark Sanchez is a possibility: ESPN just signed the guy.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/mark-sanc ... -espn-job/
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 am Looks like Mark Sanchez is a possibility: ESPN just signed the guy.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/mark-sanc ... -espn-job/
I could see Sanchez being in an XFL pre-game or halftime show.

https://twitter.com/frntofficesport/sta ... 20641?s=20

There is also the above article yesterday from Front Office Sports. The article was about the possibility of Female broadcasters in the booth. Beth Mowins, among others gets mentioned.
Many TV announcers, both men and women, are volunteering for the XFL gig both inside and outside ESPN and Fox, said sources.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'd pass on Sanchez, mostly because he would feel like a developmental broadcaster, but also because of the optics of him likely being roughly on par with the quarterback on the field. It's a touch awkward.

Being open to female broadcasters continues the new XFL's tradition of being decent and respectful. That will continue to pay dividends with the media. I think there is room for reasonable concern in how a female voice can just hit the ear wrong, in the way an American accent calling soccer just doesn't quite feel as right as an English voice.

On the other hand, I probably would have said the same thing about baseball, but Jessica Mendoza has been fantastic for ESPN. And to circle back to Sanchez, I was prepared to hate Alex Rodriguez as a broadcaster, and he's been shockingly likable. So if it works, it works. Then again, maybe it's just my distaste for Matt Vasgersian that lifts everyone else in that booth up.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:44 pm I'd pass on Sanchez, mostly because he would feel like a developmental broadcaster, but also because of the optics of him likely being roughly on par with the quarterback on the field. It's a touch awkward.

Being open to female broadcasters continues the new XFL's tradition of being decent and respectful. That will continue to pay dividends with the media. I think there is room for reasonable concern in how a female voice can just hit the ear wrong, in the way an American accent calling soccer just doesn't quite feel as right as an English voice.

On the other hand, I probably would have said the same thing about baseball, but Jessica Mendoza has been fantastic for ESPN. And to circle back to Sanchez, I was prepared to hate Alex Rodriguez as a broadcaster, and he's been shockingly likable. So if it works, it works. Then again, maybe it's just my distaste for Matt Vasgersian that lifts everyone else in that booth up.
I get your point on Sanchez. It's a question of studio talent versus booth talent. If Sanchez is in the studio. There could be a role for him. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the booth. Another retired QB who just joined ESPN, who could make more sense is Josh McCown, because of his journey and experience as a pro football player.

Usually these studio shows that are for pregame, halftime or post game have three to four main broadcasters working the games. So Sanchez could be on the list as a talking head in the studio.

Another ESPN personality who has football expertise and actually played in the original XFL is Louis Riddick (Orlando Rage). I wouldn't mind him in a studio XFL show being an analyst of the league's talent and games.

As for the female aspect. I am all for it. I am not on board with forced inclusion in all aspects of society but there are definitely talented female broadcasters all across America, that I would love to see get a chance. The XFL is striving to be a league that represents the future of sports broadcasting. So if they can be trend setters in any particular area, I am on board.