Potential NFL Quarterbacks that The XFL will target after September cuts

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Potential NFL Quarterbacks that The XFL will target after September cuts

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:36 pm He had a nice Week 1, if my memory isn't failing me, but he was a middling AAF quarterback overall. That should not translate to being an XFL Tier 1.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats. ... e=P&lg=AAF
I remember. People were anointing Luis Perez after week one. People like Benjamin Albright. Some had him pegged as the AAF’s answer to Kurt Warner. That opinion changed after a few weeks. Perez has talent and he can still be developed but I have a hard time seeing him as a Tier-one myself. It’s possible though that some of the XFL’s Directors of Player Personnel do see him in that type of status.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:53 pm
Tank55 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:36 pm He had a nice Week 1, if my memory isn't failing me, but he was a middling AAF quarterback overall. That should not translate to being an XFL Tier 1.

I remember. People were anointing Luis Perez after week one. People like Benjamin Albright. Some had him pegged as the AAF’s answer to Kurt Warner. That opinion changed after a few weeks. Perez has talent and he can still be developed but I have a hard time seeing him as a Tier-one myself. It’s possible though that some of the XFL’s Directors of Player Personnel do see him in that type of status.
As long as he isn't St. Louis's Tier One, I'm ok with him being a Tier One for some other team. Personally, I think our Tier One should be Brandon Silvers.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:47 pm

As long as he isn't St. Louis's Tier One, I'm ok with him being a Tier One for some other team. Personally, I think our Tier One should be Brandon Silvers.
I personally think that Silvers was the best quarterback, I saw in the AAF. He just didn’t have as many starts as Gilbert and Wolford.

If we don’t factor in any quarterbacks that are currently on NFL rosters. Then it’s not as easy as it looks to pinpoint eight Tier-One quarterbacks. Unless you go outside the box and factor in Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow.

Right now of the current free agent quarterbacks who have some level of starting experience. The list isn’t very long. You can probably factor in Landry Jones, Johnny Manziel and Ryan Mallett. I would include Brandon Silvers.

Then your guess is as good as mine. There’s Brock Osweiler, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Brandon Weeden, Josh Johnson, Matt Cassel, Zach Mettenberger and Luis Perez.

Players like Osweiler and Bradford, for example, may only have desire to play in the NFL and nowhere else.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 pm

I personally think that Silvers was the best quarterback, I saw in the AAF. He just didn’t have as many starts as Gilbert and Wolford.

If we don’t factor in any quarterbacks that are currently on NFL rosters. Then it’s not as easy as it looks to pinpoint eight Tier-One quarterbacks. Unless you go outside the box and factor in Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow.

Right now of the current free agent quarterbacks who have some level of starting experience. The list isn’t very long. You can probably factor in Landry Jones, Johnny Manziel and Ryan Mallett. I would include Brandon Silvers.

Then your guess is as good as mine. There’s Brock Osweiler, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Brandon Weeden, Josh Johnson, Matt Cassel, Zach Mettenberger and Luis Perez.

Players like Osweiler and Bradford, for example, may only have desire to play in the NFL and nowhere else.
Osweiler is one of those dudes where he might not start again, but is probably in the upper echelon of backups as long as he's in the right system. I don't think we'll see him in the XFL.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Osweiler is one of those dudes where he might not start again, but is probably in the upper echelon of backups as long as he's in the right system. I don't think we'll see him in the XFL.
Exactly. That’s what I posted about him on this board, when I listed all the potential XFL quarterbacks back in April. Like I stated then, Brock will most likely be one of those players who wait the entire season for a way back in, if he doesn’t land a job this summer. He will be on NFL teams short lists if and when injuries occur.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 pm
XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Exactly. That’s what I posted about him on this board, when I listed all the potential XFL quarterbacks back in April. Like I stated then, Brock will most likely be one of those players who wait the entire season for a way back in, if he doesn’t land a job this summer. He will be on NFL teams short lists if and when injuries occur.
Brock has earned over $40 million in the NFL, he can afford to sit out. Money is just one factor involved in the decision, however, I expect some of these guys will sign on because they want to play. One thing the XFL can give these guys that the NFL can not is an opportunity for some playing time. What Brock is going to have to decide, is does he want to wait for a chance to be a backup, and maybe get into a few games if he’s lucky, or does he want to be a starter and play some meaningful football again.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

We are probably not going to get it but I’d love to see a surprise veteran get cut. Like an RG3 or someone along those lines. Maybe a Colt McCoy.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I really don't want to see journeyman veterans who make the NFL rounds and can't stick anywhere. Trevor Siemien has been rumored......but he's already shown to be underwhelming as an NFL starter.........so why should the XFL showcase him? I would rather see a guy......an undrafted or at least untested QB that just gets lost in the numbers game. A guy who'll likely see preseason reps but was a longshot to make the roster from the start. Not a Geno Smith,. not a Nathan Peterman. A guy, who when he suits up in an XFL uniform will be making his first true impression in the pro ranks. Not a hand-me-down Quarterback.....for obvious reasons,. are the most visible. So it's important. This is who you're building your team around more or less.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 pm I really don't want to see journeyman veterans who make the NFL rounds and can't stick anywhere. Trevor Siemien has been rumored......but he's already shown to be underwhelming as an NFL starter.........so why should the XFL showcase him? I would rather see a guy......an undrafted or at least untested QB that just gets lost in the numbers game. A guy who'll likely see preseason reps but was a longshot to make the roster from the start. Not a Geno Smith,. not a Nathan Peterman. A guy, who when he suits up in an XFL uniform will be making his first true impression in the pro ranks. Not a hand-me-down Quarterback.....for obvious reasons,. are the most visible. So it's important. This is who you're building your team around more or less.
The XFL should be taking the best players willing to play in the league, period. If Trevor Siemien is better than a longshot QB from a small school, they should take Siemien. One of the lessons learned from the original XFL is that quality of play matters.
@gregmparks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 pm I really don't want to see journeyman veterans who make the NFL rounds and can't stick anywhere. Trevor Siemien has been rumored......but he's already shown to be underwhelming as an NFL starter.........so why should the XFL showcase him? I would rather see a guy......an undrafted or at least untested QB that just gets lost in the numbers game. A guy who'll likely see preseason reps but was a longshot to make the roster from the start. Not a Geno Smith,. not a Nathan Peterman. A guy, who when he suits up in an XFL uniform will be making his first true impression in the pro ranks. Not a hand-me-down Quarterback.....for obvious reasons,. are the most visible. So it's important. This is who you're building your team around more or less.
I agree with you to an extent. I think in order to get quality play. You can’t just have inexperienced quarterbacks who will be going through growing pains on the field. That’s what you get if all you have is developmental quarterbacks. You need some experienced quarterbacks to be in the league who actually have pro starting experience. “Hand me downs” is how you get Tommy Maddox and Josh McCown. I think someone like Landry Jones fits nicely into this category.