Receivers- Bob Saunders
Tight Ends/Tackles- Todd Washington
Offensive/Special Teams/GM Assistant- Brent Battle
Defensive Line - Ray Hamilton
Linebackers- Kurt Gouveia
Defensive Backs- Sigismondo Cioffi
Outside Linebackers- Napoleon Sykes Jr.
Strength & Conditioning- Vacant
Washington has had their coaching staff in place for awhile but they were kind of late with the front office. Every other team seems to have their top front office members in place. Outside of Brent Battle who is going to be wearing a few different hats. Officially, right now it’s pretty much just Greg Gabriel heading football ops and player personnel. It’s possible that the hires have already been made but nothing official on that end.
Overall that seems like a pretty weak coaching staff tbh. Scelfo sounds familiar but I don't know who most of those guys are.
It’s probably one of the younger staffs in the league. Mostly coaches that Pep has worked with in Michigan and Indy. It also has that small school vibe to it. Which is intentional knowing Hamilton’s background. He’s going to give young coaches and coaches with similar backgrounds like him a shot.

Scelfo and Wilson are both former head coaches. Scelfo is a former Tulane Head Coach. Beat June Jones once upon in a time in a bowl game. He was The o-line Coach and run game coordinator for the Hotshots. Todd Washington was the Apollos o line coach. Ray Hamilton is The grizzled veteran of the bunch. He was also in the AAF last year.

Listening to Pep Hamilton at the DC Showcase. He seems like he has a chip on his shoulder. Like he is out to prove something..These first time Head Coaches are highly motivated.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Updated XFL Team Staffs

Post by LeoNY »

Only Seattle and Los Angeles are without quarterback coaches. Perhaps Jim Zorn and Norm Chow are going to handle those duties specifically. The other six teams all have coaches for that position.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Chris Crocker. The former NFL defensive back who was drafted by the Browns back in 2003, and played several years in the NFL, including a long stint with The Cincinnati Bengals, is going to be the special teams coordinator for XFL St. Louis. That’s a big boost for him. Crocker has dabbled with coaching and being a referee since retiring.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 pm Chris Crocker. The former NFL defensive back who was drafted by the Browns back in 2003, and played several years in the NFL, including a long stint with The Cincinnati Bengals, is going to be the special teams coordinator for XFL St. Louis. That’s a big boost for him. Crocker has dabbled with coaching and being a referee since retiring.
How do you feel about this hire?
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 pm Chris Crocker. The former NFL defensive back who was drafted by the Browns back in 2003, and played several years in the NFL, including a long stint with The Cincinnati Bengals, is going to be the special teams coordinator for XFL St. Louis. That’s a big boost for him. Crocker has dabbled with coaching and being a referee since retiring.
How do you feel about this hire?
I like Crocker as a player. He’s one of Mike Zimmer’s favorite all time players. Crocker is very smart. He was considered a coach on the field. He was a part of a fellowship program since his playing days ended. Working with The Bengals last summer. So I am not surprised that he’s getting into coaching. Becoming a coordinator right out the gate is a big leap of faith by Hayes. Honestly, it’s great that he’s a part of the staff, but I would have personally hired a veteran special teams coach to groom him, before giving him the full reigns.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't know anything about Crocker, but Special Teams are going to be so different in the XFL than anywhere else that experience is probably less useful than usual. Seems like a great spot for a smart young coach, especially one that has been through a coaching fellowship and dabbled in refereeing.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm I don't know anything about Crocker, but Special Teams are going to be so different in the XFL than anywhere else that experience is probably less useful than usual. Seems like a great spot for a smart young coach, especially one that has been through a coaching fellowship and dabbled in refereeing.
Solid point. I can buy into this.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm I don't know anything about Crocker, but Special Teams are going to be so different in the XFL than anywhere else that experience is probably less useful than usual. Seems like a great spot for a smart young coach, especially one that has been through a coaching fellowship and dabbled in refereeing.
This is a valid observation.

Some of the XFL teams have coaches taking on dual roles or working together on a position with another assistant. Like Grant Williams and Brian Braswell in St. Louis, working together on the offensive line.

New York seems to have a similar setup with Jeff McInerney coordinating the Special Teams with Ray Rylcheski assisting him.

In Washington. Former Tulane Head Coach Chris Scelfo will be coaching the o-line but Todd Washington, the former Apollos o-line Coach will be coaching the offensive tackles.

Not sure if Chris Crocker will get assistance in STL, coordinating the special teams, but it’s something I would have considered.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Some of the XFL teams have coaches taking on dual roles or working together on a position with another assistant. Like Grant Williams and Brian Braswell in St. Louis, working together on the offensive line.

New York seems to have a similar setup with Jeff McInerney coordinating the Special Teams with Ray Rylcheski assisting him.

In Washington. Former Tulane Head Coach Chris Scelfo will be coaching the o-line but Todd Washington, the former Apollos o-line Coach will be coaching the offensive tackles.

Not sure if Chris Crocker will get assistance in STL, coordinating the special teams, but it’s something I would have considered.
Speaking of Todd Washington, it appears as though he has taken another position.
https://twitter.com/twashington757/stat ... 30273?s=21
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Speaking of Todd Washington, it appears as though he has taken another position.
https://twitter.com/twashington757/stat ... 30273?s=21
Congratulations to him. This is one thing that I mentioned in my “The challenges that await the XFL” article in late June.

The XFL has no clauses in their coaching contracts that prevent their coaches from leaving for other opportunities.

This will become crucial when hiring season takes place in late December/early January. The period right before the XFL season starts. While NFL and college staffs are being reformed. There will be coaches who could in theory leave the XFL for greener pastures. The same thing happened to the AAF.