St. Louis gets their Ram: Az-Zahir Hakim to be WR coach

XFL Football discussion.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Re: St. Louis gets their Ram: Az-Zahir Hakim to be WR coach

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

steinerfhc wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm Hayes put together a very solid group around him overall.
I agree. Meacham, Long and Hakim have all been involved with some potent offenses over the years, it will be interesting to see what they come up with when they put their heads together. Tim Lewis will also be a big help to DC Jay Hayes.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm
steinerfhc wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm Hayes put together a very solid group around him overall.
I agree. Meacham, Long and Hakim have all been involved with some potent offenses over the years, it will be interesting to see what they come up with when they put their heads together. Tim Lewis will also be a big help to DC Jay Hayes.
As you and others have mentioned as well. Hayes has a bit of that Bob Stoops influence on his staff. From having Long on the staff to employing an OC that has an Air Raid background. Meacham worked under Stoops buddy Gary Patterson. Stoops has always been a fan of that offensive system.

I don't want to word this incorrectly but Bob Stoops helped Hayes get a head coaching job in the XFL. There's no doubt that Stoops recommended Hayes to the league's football ops department. (Luck/Whaley). I know that Jim Haslett was in consideration for the job initially but both parties decided to go in a different direction. Stoops certainly pushed for his buddy Hayes to get a shot.

What's impressive about Hayes staff is the diversity of it. He has people on his staff that he worked with in the pros, but he's also got a good mix of people that he hasn't worked with in the front office and on the coaching staff. This is Jonathan's first go around as someone being in charge of an entire team. It's not an easy task. When you have never been a head coach before, to convince people to buy in and join your staff.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Hopefully the team names some of Hakim's former teammates as Team Ambassadors.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

I agree. There are only a couple of guys I'm lacking confidence in, unfortunately those coaches are the Hayes brothers. I would have liked to see a HC hire with a stronger resume.
St. Louis Battlehawks
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 pm
I agree. There are only a couple of guys I'm lacking confidence in, unfortunately those coaches are the Hayes brothers. I would have liked to see a HC hire with a stronger resume.
I did too but it is what it is at this point and the staff around him looks strong.