St Louis Summer Showcase

XFL Football discussion.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

As has been previously speculated and now confirmed by XFLDC’s Director of Player Personnel Greg Gabriel, the St Louis showcase will follow Tampa Bay’s lead as the number of participants is expected to also be around 150. We’ve been surprised by some big names who have participated in the previous showcases. What’s in store for the XFL’s final showcase? Let the speculation begin.

https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/114 ... 92545?s=21
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by XFLInSTL »

Well in the past the showcases have had players from good local schools. Kony Ealy, who was at the Houston showcase, is probably the best player to come out of Mizzou in the last five years who isn't in the NFL. So we might not see a ton of talent from Mizzou at this showcase. There will probably be guys from schools like Southeast Missouri State, Northwest Missouri State (a great D2 school), and then guys from out of state schools that are somewhat notable (U of Arkansas, Arkansas State, Memphis, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, etc).

In terms of guys that have played in the pros, I'd expect at least one or two guys from the closest AAF team (Memphis) to be there. Some notable players who haven't been at another showcase are running backs Zac Stacy, Terrence Magee, and Sherman Badie, WRs Alton Howard and Devin Lucien, LB Davis Tull, and DBs Jeremy Cutrer and Channing Stribling. Kicker Austin MacGinnis was also pretty good.
St. Louis Battlehawks
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Honestly could be a good thing to see SMS, NWS players there because there could be a lot of hidden gems in there that may have been over looked by the NFL based on the school. Now I get could been over looked or not good enough for a bigger college but could been a case of choice or money reasons.

To see who all shows up from pro level would be interesting as well.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

XFLInSTL wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm Well in the past the showcases have had players from good local schools. Kony Ealy, who was at the Houston showcase, is probably the best player to come out of Mizzou in the last five years who isn't in the NFL. So we might not see a ton of talent from Mizzou at this showcase. There will probably be guys from schools like Southeast Missouri State, Northwest Missouri State (a great D2 school), and then guys from out of state schools that are somewhat notable (U of Arkansas, Arkansas State, Memphis, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, etc).

In terms of guys that have played in the pros, I'd expect at least one or two guys from the closest AAF team (Memphis) to be there. Some notable players who haven't been at another showcase are running backs Zac Stacy, Terrence Magee, and Sherman Badie, WRs Alton Howard and Devin Lucien, LB Davis Tull, and DBs Jeremy Cutrer and Channing Stribling. Kicker Austin MacGinnis was also pretty good.
St Louis is also the closest showcase for most of the Big 10 schools, expect them to be well represented.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:45 pm
XFLInSTL wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm Well in the past the showcases have had players from good local schools. Kony Ealy, who was at the Houston showcase, is probably the best player to come out of Mizzou in the last five years who isn't in the NFL. So we might not see a ton of talent from Mizzou at this showcase. There will probably be guys from schools like Southeast Missouri State, Northwest Missouri State (a great D2 school), and then guys from out of state schools that are somewhat notable (U of Arkansas, Arkansas State, Memphis, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, etc).

St Louis is also the closest showcase for most of the Big 10 schools, expect them to be well represented.
That was my thought as well. We haven’t seen much Big 10 representation in these Showcases yet, so I’d expect St. Louis to be heavy on those schools.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

All the schools in The Missouri pipeline should be fully represented. The Big 10 schools will be well represented for sure.

These are the only names that I have so far confirmed for The STL Showcase:

CB- Channing Stribling- Michigan
DE- Austin Larkin- Purdue
OG- Oni Omoile- Iowa State
CB- Malik Boynton- Austin Peay
WR- Dontez Byrd- Tennessee Tech
LS- Scott Daly- Notre Dame
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 pm All the schools in The Missouri pipeline should be fully represented. The Big 10 schools will be well represented for sure.

Some AAF names in the mix there. Byrd has a lot of speed. He could run the 4.3 just like Taivon Jacobs did in DC.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

There are two Big 10 Quarterbacks who intrigue me as potential invites or as potential XFL signings down the road.

The first would be former Michigan State Quarterback Connor Cook.

Cook’s a former 4th round pick of The Raiders in 2016. Current XFL LA Director of Player Personnel Joey Clinkscales, was a part of the front office who drafted him.

Cook was a big star in college but in the NFL, He’s had only 1 career start and that was in a playoff game, where he was dreadful. Cook is the first QB in history to ever make his first career start in a playoff game.

Cook’s got limited regular season action. Only 21 pass attempts. Ohio kid, who is still only 26. After being with the Raiders. He spent time on Carolina and The Bengals practice squad. He signed a futures deal with Detroit in January, only to be cut in June. He probably has designs on getting back into the NFL, but if I were his agent. I would push him to consider the XFL.

Then there’s Matt McGloin. A former teammate of Cook’s. McGloin played at Penn State. 29 years old. Undrafted. He’s got some NFL starts under his belt but hasn’t seen playing time since 2016. McGloin has bounced around the NFL as a backup with Philly, Houston and was cut by KC last September.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 pm All the schools in The Missouri pipeline should be fully represented. The Big 10 schools will be well represented for sure.

Stribling was probably a Top 8-10 DB in the AAF. He'd be good in the XFL too.
St. Louis Battlehawks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 pm Then there’s Matt McGloin. A former teammate of Cook’s. McGloin played at Penn State. 29 years old. Undrafted. He’s got some NFL starts under his belt but hasn’t seen playing time since 2016. McGloin has bounced around the NFL as a backup with Philly, Houston and was cut by KC last September.
I'd be impressed if they landed McGloin. He did pretty well in his limited playing time in the NFL.

Cook, not so much.