Alpha Entertainment files trademarks for 5 potential XFL Seattle team names

XFL Football discussion.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Re: Alpha Entertainment files trademarks for 5 potential XFL Seattle team names

Post by SamTheRam28 »

These names scream Oliver Luck. Singular names aside from Dragons. I think Surge could work well with good logos and designs. This is exciting stuff.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Thanks for the info! Not sure how I feel about these. Here is how I would (knee-jerk reaction :) ) rank them without seeing any logos:

1 - Dragons

3a - Force
3b - Surge

5a - Wild
5b - Fury

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

The links have expired. You can go to The USPTO website, and do a trademark search. All 5 of these names do come up. Interesting that they were filed on June 13th.

Five trademarked team names for Seattle, indicates the possibility of a fan vote.

At first glance, the names are ok. Hard to trademark names in Seattle with almost 20 already trademarked for the NHL team. Even the Steelheads is copyrighted by a local author.

Surge can relate to the sea or sound. Old WLAF name,World Bowl Champs, The Sacramento Surge. Famously known as Bill Goldberg’s team.

Dragons is an old NFL Europe name. I thought of it as a possibility for Dallas. I wonder if this will relate in any way to the sea, like a Leviathan.

Fury, Wild and Force have been used before. They are pretty generic names. Not awful just pretty plain.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:21 am Thanks for the info! Not sure how I feel about these. Here is how I would (knee-jerk reaction :) ) rank them without seeing any logos:

1 - Dragons

3a - Force
3b - Surge

5a - Wild
5b - Fury

It’s hard without seeing the logos. If you read through the trademark filings. These names are trademarked for every purpose under the sun. Just a sample underneath.
Downloadable software in the nature of mobile applications for displaying information relating to football exhibitions, football schedules, media guides, audio and visual recordings relating to football; football helmets; protective helmets for sports; sports helmets; cell phone covers; magnetically encoded charge cards; decorative magnets; prerecorded compact discs and DVDs featuring the sport of football; video games software and computer game software; computer mouse pads; sunglasses, eyeglass cases; downloadable ring tones via the internet and wireless devices; downloadable graphics featuring content relating to football for use on computers and mobile phones and downloadable music files via a global computer network and wireless devices; decorative refrigerator magnets; video game cartridges and discs and computer game tapes; video game discs and computer game discs; video game cassettes and computer game cassettes; video game cartridges and computer game cartridges; video game CD-roms and computer game CD-roms; cinematographic and television films, namely, motion picture films featuring football;Jewelry, watches, clocks, earrings, tie pins, bracelets, necklaces, charms for jewelry; rings being jewelry, collectible coins, commemorative coins, non-monetary coins of precious metal, pendants and key chains made of precious metal, charms for jewelry in precious metals or coated therewith, costume jewelry, cuff links, tie clips, decorative boxes made of precious metal, jewelry charms, key chains of precious metals, lapel pins, medals, ornamental novelty pins, precious metal trophies;Posters; calendars; pictorial prints; series of books relating to football; magazines relating to football; stickers; bumper stickers; printed tickets to sports games and events; souvenir programs for sports events; sports trading cards; notepads; picture postcards; art pictures; stationery; pens and pencils; printed collectible trading
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I wrote about this yesterday, how these names could in theory be revealed as soon as this Monday July 1st.

This throws a monkey wrench into things. 5 trademarks suggests a potential fan vote. The names aren’t separate from Seattle. They are all trademarked specifically for Seattle.

I suspect that we are all going to be checking the USPTO site every day now. These were filed by Alpha Entertainment on the 13th, but didn’t appear until very early this morning. We might get more of these for each market.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 am I wrote about this yesterday, how these names could in theory be revealed as soon as this Monday July 1st.

This throws a monkey wrench into things. 5 trademarks suggests a potential fan vote. The names aren’t separate from Seattle. They are all trademarked specifically for Seattle.

I suspect that we are all going to be checking the USPTO site every day now. These were filed by Alpha Entertainment on the 13th, but didn’t appear until very early this morning. We might get more of these for each market.
5 trademarks could just be so the name isn't leaked early. If there are 5, nobody knows the name until it's revealed. If it was one, everybody knows the name. I could be wrong and it could be a vote, but who knows.
St. Louis BattleHawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:25 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 am I wrote about this yesterday, how these names could in theory be revealed as soon as this Monday July 1st.

5 trademarks could just be so the name isn't leaked early. If there are 5, nobody knows the name until it's revealed. If it was one, everybody knows the name. I could be wrong and it could be a vote, but who knows.
That’s a good possibility as well Sam. I am already reaching out to the league for clarification. They might go silent on this one.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

We should throw up a poll up. (Edit: Maybe this board doesn't support polls?) My vote is Dragons, but I can't say I'm excited about it. Force and Fury are terrible.

They should have gone to NHL Seattle and worked something out for Kraken.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am We should throw a poll up. My vote is Dragons, but I can't say I'm excited about it. Force and Fury are terrible.

They should have gone to NHL Seattle and worked something out for Kraken.
That's always tricky. I am not a big fan of the team name Kraken, but I know that a lot of people are. So I realize that I am in the minority on that one. Kraken could very well end up being the Seattle's NHL team name. They may not want to part with it. Their window is also different than the XFL's. Their team name is expected to be revealed later this year, despite them sitting on so many different trademarks.

I think we are all going to have our own personal preferences for team names. I was rooting for Steelheads, but that's also trademarked. You'd have to work something out with the author on that one. I also wanted Lumberjacks if the league was going to break away from the sea or the noise element.

I am fine with Dragons or Surge. Not sure which way, I'd vote. The league would have to work very hard to sell me on Force, Wild or Fury. They are plain team names, that don't really fit the region. I suppose Fury ties in, somehow to how frenzied and passionate Seattle fans are, but Force is more of a military or power thing to me. I don't see that as being married to that region, despite it also being associated with energy and intensity. I have never been a fan of the name 'Wild' for a team name. Again, it's something that can relate to the nature of the fans in Seattle. The logo could be cool if it's animal related, but I just don't like the sound of it.