Updated XFL Team Staffs

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Updated XFL Coaching Staffs

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm I would agree that it's more exciting from a name value perspective than an on field perspective. Hawaii was better before he got there and has been better after he left, although being the HC is a different animal. As an OC, he had the world by the ass 15 years ago, but that's an eternity in football. He had a player ahead of his time with the Titans in Vince Young and wasn't really able to make it work. But that's not say he can't be successful again; I think he's a fine hire for this level.

EDIT: Something is going to be "wrong" with every hire the XFL makes. The perfect hires already have jobs. Either they're going to be too young, too old, too far removed from success, whatever. Bob Stoops is only available because he burned out -- to an extent, he's damaged goods as well. I think it's totally fair to acknowledge the flaws and allow ourselves to get excited about the strengths.
Great post.

You have to judge these hires on a different scale than you would an NFL team. That’s not to say that there are not coaches in the XFL, that are fully capable of having prominent NFL or College jobs. Bob Stoops and Pep Hamilton come to mind.

There are several assistants in the XFL, that are fully capable of being staff members in the NFL or in college. Several already were last year.

For the most part, in a second pro football league. You are not going to get coaches that are on the NFL radar for head coaching or even top coordinator jobs. Look at the AAF, the majority of those coaches hadn’t coached in years. Mike Martz, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson etc
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm https://twitter.com/2020Hindsight3/stat ... 9319784449

Winston Moss has hired Norm Chow as his offensive coordinator. We don't have players yet but LA has the feel of a championship contender. Moss is killing this process. For a first time head coach/general manager. He's doing a fantastic job.
He had been announced for the San Diego Warriors in the Freedom Football League. I guess that didn't work out.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:35 pm I am interested in seeing the entire St. Louis staff and then the reaction afterwards from the media there when none of them are former Rams.
Setting aside the Rams part of it. Hayes is behind. Good thing, his showcase is last. He's got a lot of catching up to do. It's not easy to put together a staff. A lot of this has to do with connections. Hayes has some from his time in the NFL, but a lot of those people already have jobs.

On a positive side, the guy he held throughout his whole career. Winston Moss is killing it. I love his front office and coaching staff so far. He's got former NFL players, who are also good coaches. Fontenot was one of Aaron Rodgers favorites in Green Bay. I can't tell you how amazed, I am that Otis Smith is not a coach in the league. He made up for lack of speed as a player, by being so damn smart. Got great coaching from Parcells, Belichick, Romeo etc... I am sure that Otis is a Pepper Johnson hire.
As soon as Hayes' staff is finalized, I am sure Ben Fredrickson of the St. Louis Post Dispatch will say something negative about it.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm https://twitter.com/2020Hindsight3/stat ... 9319784449

Winston Moss has hired Norm Chow as his offensive coordinator. We don't have players yet but LA has the feel of a championship contender. Moss is killing this process. For a first time head coach/general manager. He's doing a fantastic job.
He had been announced for the San Diego Warriors in the Freedom Football League. I guess that didn't work out.
That’s funny. Was the contract written on Philly Blunt paper?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:46 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:35 pm I am interested in seeing the entire St. Louis staff and then the reaction afterwards from the media there when none of them are former Rams.
Setting aside the Rams part of it. Hayes is behind. Good thing, his showcase is last. He's got a lot of catching up to do. It's not easy to put together a staff. A lot of this has to do with connections. Hayes has some from his time in the NFL, but a lot of those people already have jobs.

On a positive side, the guy he held throughout his whole career. Winston Moss is killing it. I love his front office and coaching staff so far. He's got former NFL players, who are also good coaches. Fontenot was one of Aaron Rodgers favorites in Green Bay. I can't tell you how amazed, I am that Otis Smith is not a coach in the league. He made up for lack of speed as a player, by being so damn smart. Got great coaching from Parcells, Belichick, Romeo etc... I am sure that Otis is a Pepper Johnson hire.
As soon as Hayes' staff is finalized, I am sure Ben Fredrickson of the St. Louis Post Dispatch will say something negative about it.
Every league has it’s whipping boy. Right now, Hayes is assuming that role. Even Bob Stoops took a friendly jab at him recently. They go back a ways to Oklahoma.

Maybe Hayes will get his revenge by winning the league championship.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm

The issue is that they don't have any money. Where is the money guy going to come from? They make announcements on Facebook of former NFL players who were at best special teamers or mediocre starters. Many of the big name former NFL players are still involved in the league as broadcasters. Last week they introduced someone named Andre Kirwan, who they claimed to have played in the NFL, but I have never heard of him. Just now they announced Victor Butler to run the Portland Progress, and I know who he is since he played for the Cowboys. The FFL has gone after fringe former NFL players rather than go after the numerous Hall of Famers who we see every Sunday in the fall who are either on the pre-shows or on the actual games.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pm

The issue is that they don't have any money. Where is the money guy going to come from? They make announcements on Facebook of former NFL players who were at best practice squad guys. Many of the big name former NFL players are still involved in the league as broadcasters. Last week they introduced someone named Andre Kirwan, who they claimed to have played in the NFL, but I have never heard of him. Just now they announced Victor Butler to run the Portland Progress, and I know who he is since he played for the Cowboys. The FFL has gone after fringe former NFL players rather than go after the numerous Hall of Famers who we see every Sunday in the fall who are either on the pre-shows or on the actual games.
I am all for more football leagues that employ people. So more power to them.

The best bet would probably be doing something similar to what Ice Cube has done with the Big 3.

Since the league’s draw is star players from the past. Have a 7 on 7 league with names like TO, Ochocinco etc. They can play in the summer. Still keep their “for the people” mission statement and go from there. You could probably scale down costs with that model.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm

The issue is that they don't have any money. Where is the money guy going to come from? They make announcements on Facebook of former NFL players who were at best practice squad guys. Many of the big name former NFL players are still involved in the league as broadcasters. Last week they introduced someone named Andre Kirwan, who they claimed to have played in the NFL, but I have never heard of him. Just now they announced Victor Butler to run the Portland Progress, and I know who he is since he played for the Cowboys. The FFL has gone after fringe former NFL players rather than go after the numerous Hall of Famers who we see every Sunday in the fall who are either on the pre-shows or on the actual games.

The best bet would probably be doing something similar to what Ice Cube has done with the Big 3.

Since the league’s draw is star players from the past. Have a 7 on 7 league with names like TO, Ochocinco etc. They can play in the summer. Still keep their “for the people” mission statement and go from there. You could probably scale down costs with that model.
The FFL will play an 11-on-11 style of football.

The problem is that the biggest names in the FFL are Jeff Garcia, Ricky Williams, Byron Chamberlain, TO and Jeff Blake. The FFL does not draw any star players. They have names like Spencer Conley, Andre Kirwan, Darryl Ingram etc., many of whom were nobodies in the NFL. The FFL wants to make a splash? They want to compete with the XFL? Then get bigger names behind the league. Try to convince names like Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders to get involved. One of the things that was interesting about the AAF at the start were the names involved: Bill Polian, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu. Tuck, Allen, Ward and Polamalu were stars in the NFL. None of the names involved in the FFL outside of TO were ever stars in the NFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Also where is the money going to come from in the FFL?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm

The FFL will play an 11-on-11 style of football.

The problem is that the biggest names in the FFL are Jeff Garcia, Ricky Williams, Byron Chamberlain, TO and Jeff Blake. The FFL does not draw any star players. They have names like Spencer Conley, Andre Kirwan, Darryl Ingram etc., many of whom were nobodies in the NFL. The FFL wants to make a splash? They want to compete with the XFL? Then get bigger names behind the league. Try to convince names like Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders to get involved. One of the things that was interesting about the AAF at the start were the names involved: Bill Polian, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu. Tuck, Allen, Ward and Polamalu were stars in the NFL. None of the names involved in the FFL outside of TO were ever stars in the NFL.
Those AAF names ended up meaning nothing. It looked good on paper and helped foster the perception that they were NFL 2.0, but those guys brought very little to the table. Kind of like when Shaq was billed as an investor.

If TO is not playing. What value is he really bringing? If he’s coaching up receivers. That’s cool but Business decisions?... Not so sure that he’s suited for that. When have any of these players run teams or leagues on any level. If you are going with a real 11 on 11 league. You need real football people running things.