The ball

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

The ball

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

So, as it's being shown on the front page, the XFL has released the design of the ball. Clearly it's not the iconic pattern they used in 2001 or anything close to that. In fact, other than the X marks on the points, it's... downright pedestrian.

They're still testing the texture and probably slight tweaks to the dimensions, but it looks like this is what we're going to get.

MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: The ball

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:05 pm So, as it's being shown on the front page, the XFL has released the design of the ball. Clearly it's not the iconic pattern they used in 2001 or anything close to that. In fact, other than the X marks on the points, it's... downright pedestrian.

They're still testing the texture and probably slight tweaks to the dimensions, but it looks like this is what we're going to get.

Not exactly. A few things missing. The designer of the ball, The XFL logo and potentially the color of the football. These are the prototypes being tested. The color and style/design will come later.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

The league said they were "test balls". The X on each end looks good. Maybe this ball won't be as graphical as the 2001 ball and the X embelishment is all you will get... and a logo perhaps.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, I don't think it's a done deal until they start selling them, honestly. I think it's lame, but way better than the AAF's, at least. Maybe making them bigger would help. Certainly the XFL logo filling the space in between would help.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Joker wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:47 pm The league said they were "test balls". The X on each end looks good. Maybe this ball won't be as graphical as the 2001 ball and the X embelishment is all you will get... and a logo perhaps.
I would consider these balls as being naked. I know, poor choice of words but it will have to do for this conversation.

The balls are not dressed up yet. These are the raw versions. Probably the texture, size and air is different for these prototypes. The X stitching on the front and the X on the tips are probably permanent. The X on the points of the ball might make the football easier to pinpoint and catch depending on the color scheme of the football.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

...but fundamentally, they're still brown. That's kind of the pedestrian part. I mean, with manufacturing technology in this day and age, the most boring color in the universe is the one they stick with?

I mean, even gray would give an industrial vibe to it. These balls scream "same old, same old." Those old XFL balls were a BRAND. These are plain. Even if you put the rest of the stuff like the league logo and the brand of the ball, it's still the same brown football as every other league uses.

I'm still not impressed.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm ...but fundamentally, they're still brown. That's kind of the pedestrian part. I mean, with manufacturing technology in this day and age, the most boring color in the universe is the one they stick with?

I mean, even gray would give an industrial vibe to it. These balls scream "same old, same old." Those old XFL balls were a BRAND. These are plain. Even if you put the rest of the stuff like the league logo and the brand of the ball, it's still the same brown football as every other league uses.

I'm still not impressed.
They might not even be brown, by the time they unveil their actual league football. That’s my point. They haven’t landed on a designer yet.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

The XFL tweeted two photos of the balls today, and made the point they were testing them. Since the balls have different texture, they must be testing the feel of the different materials. Since they have put graphics on the balls, they must be testing that as well.

Keep in mind, fan reaction is likely part of the test. After all, they tweeted it out.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

mnelson wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 pm The XFL tweeted two photos of the balls today, and made the point they were testing them. Since the balls have different texture, they must be testing the feel of the different materials. Since they have put graphics on the balls, they must be testing that as well.

Keep in mind, fan reaction is likely part of the test. After all, they tweeted it out.
Exactly.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm ...but fundamentally, they're still brown. That's kind of the pedestrian part. I mean, with manufacturing technology in this day and age, the most boring color in the universe is the one they stick with?

I'm still not impressed.
Isn't dark brown the best color against the back drop of a green field?