Invites to the XFL Summer Showcase have started to go out

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Invites to the XFL Summer Showcase have started to go out

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:20 pm Speaking of the player pool...
Does anyone know what XFL policy will be toward kids who have graduated high school who want the $ now rather than go to college?
The possibilities are pretty cool in my opinion. For example if a kid isn't really interested in studies why not play 3 good years in XFL ,develop as a pro (minor leaguer) and enter the NFL draft when eligible. AND won't that free up a scholarship to a kid that wants the degree.
Plus it could cause NFL to change their draft eligibility rules. Furthermore in theory why couldn't XFL SELL a player who becomes NFL draft eligible to the NFL. In other words when a kid has come out of high school and played 3 years in XFL, then he is NFL draft eligible. But if he's under contract with XFL and wants to jump leagues and enter the NFL draft,why not force the NFL to pay a fee to trigger a release clause in the XFL contract. Players could be valued much like soccer players are. Is this feasible?
I think Luck has said that they'll be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

But don't think it'll change NFL eligibility. Marcus Dupree went that route with the USFL and ended up tearing his knees apart. It's incredibly risky and most players would rather redshirt a year and play the two years of college ball (and the free college credits in Basket Weaving 101) than take a mediocre salary in a second-tier pro league that could jeopardize their NFL career down the road.

Besides, if a player is not disciplined enough to sit through a couple years of college, they're probably not disciplined enough to play at a high level against professionals. There are no shortcuts to success.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Interesting. I think Dupree's career being cut short by injuries is evidence in favor of his decision to turn pro ASAP. He made a lot of mistakes -- trusting the wrong people with his money being by far the biggest -- but on its own, I think turning pro was definitely the right call.

Is the XFL season more physically demanding than, say, an SEC season? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. SEC teams are playing 12-14 games, while the XFL is playing 10-12. Obviously the XFL will be full of adults and not 18-22 year olds. But I think especially at a position like running back, it makes a lot of sense to go pro as soon as you can.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm Interesting. I think Dupree's career being cut short by injuries is evidence in favor of his decision to turn pro ASAP. He made a lot of mistakes -- trusting the wrong people with his money being by far the biggest -- but on its own, I think turning pro was definitely the right call.

Is the XFL season more physically demanding than, say, an SEC season? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. SEC teams are playing 12-14 games, while the XFL is playing 10-12. Obviously the XFL will be full of adults and not 18-22 year olds. But I think especially at a position like running back, it makes a lot of sense to go pro as soon as you can.
RB is a position where you want to get paid as a pro as soon as possible. Even with NFL teams trending towards committees at the position. The window to be effective and earn money closes fast. By far, the most wear and tear of any position.

Some of these young players get bad advice or miss out on their chance to be great pros.

One player who I know that wants to be a part of The XFL Showcases, but has dealt with multiple injuries since college is former TCU WR Kolby Listenbee.

TCU and Kolby Listenbee just recently settled a lawsuit out of court. Listenbee sued the university because he felt that they forced him to play when he was injured, and that it resulted in his draft stock dropping, and him not being able to stay healthy ever since. Injuries have derailed his pro career.

Listenbee was projected by some scouts and draft analysts to be a 3rd round pick. Because of injuries, he could only run the 40 yard dash in 2016. He was the 2nd fastest wide receiver at the combine running a 4.39 behind only Will Fuller.

Kolby did end up being drafted by The Bills in the 6th round. He ended up barely getting on the field and then having surgery. Spent time with The Dolphins and Colts on their practice squads, spent most of his nfl career on injured reserve. He was cut last summer by The Colts.

Listenbee has to have hip surgery in June, and can’t perform at the XFL Showcases. Perhaps his name will be revisited by the XFL in the future but who knows how much of his speed and explosiveness he has lost. He’s only 25 years old.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mygirlblue
Linebacker

Post by Mygirlblue »

So as reading this post, and the XFL information that is gradually coming out, about invites to the summer showcase. How likely will invitations go out to guys who are didn't make a team from this past NFL draft, but was invited to mini-camps and didn't make a team there either?

It seems very limited, 100 invites per team, and only 8 teams. Still roster cuts to made by the NFL, and AAF players, there are a lot of guys out there. It would be nice to see players who truly are the diamonds in the rough, get a chance. Not sure from the sounds of it, that will happen?

Will guys from TSL get a chance, since they partnered together? I know there is a Spring League Showcase to happen now and in June, will the XFL scout there too?
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:03 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm Interesting. I think Dupree's career being cut short by injuries is evidence in favor of his decision to turn pro ASAP. He made a lot of mistakes -- trusting the wrong people with his money being by far the biggest -- but on its own, I think turning pro was definitely the right call.

RB is a position where you want to get paid as a pro as soon as possible. Even with NFL teams trending towards committees at the position. The window to be effective and earn money closes fast. By far, the most wear and tear of any position.

Some of these young players get bad advice or miss out on their chance to be great pros.

One player who I know that wants to be a part of The XFL Showcases, but has dealt with multiple injuries since college is former TCU WR Kolby Listenbee.

TCU and Kolby Listenbee just recently settled a lawsuit out of court. Listenbee sued the university because he felt that they forced him to play when he was injured, and that it resulted in his draft stock dropping and him not being able to stay healthy ever since. Injuries have derailed his pro career.

Listenbee was projected by some scouts and draft analysts to be a 3rd round pick. Because of injuries, he could only run the 40 yard dash in 2016. He was the 2nd fastest wide receiver at the combine running a 4.39 behind only Will Fuller.

Kolby did end up being drafted by The Bills in the 6th round. He ended up barely getting on the field and then having surgery. Spent time with The Dolphins and Colts on their practice squad and then ended up on injured reserve. He was cut last summer by The Colts.

Listenbee has to have hip surgery in June, and can’t perform at the XFL Showcases. Perhaps his name will be revisited by the XFL in the future but who knows how much of his speed and explosives he has lost. He’s only 25 years old.
I loved watching Listenbee in college and hope he makes it. He'd be on my list for sure.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Mygirlblue wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:25 am So as reading this post, and the XFL information that is gradually coming out, about invites to the summer showcase. How likely will invitations go out to guys who are didn't make a team from this past NFL draft, but was invited to mini-camps and didn't make a team there either?

It seems very limited, 100 invites per team, and only 8 teams. Still roster cuts to made by the NFL, and AAF players, there are a lot of guys out there. It would be nice to see players who truly are the diamonds in the rough, get a chance. Not sure from the sounds of it, that will happen?

Will guys from TSL get a chance, since they partnered together? I know there is a Spring League Showcase to happen now and in June, will the XFL scout there too?
Reid Miller, The undrafted safety from Montana has been invited to the Seattle Showcase. He was in Saints Rookie minicamp. He’s got a shot to get a league contract. He tested really well at his pro day. Miller was originally at Arkansas and transferred to Montana last year. There’s an article about it in the link below.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 4fb54.html

I think that a good number of undrafted players that haven’t latched on to NFL teams, are going to be a part of the XFL’s showcases. This is an area that the XFL’s football operations scouted extensively during the winter.

That means players from Doug Whaley’s NFL PA Collegiate Bowl. Players from the FCS all star bowls that Eric Galko worked on as well. The XFL was all over the college all star bowls. Including the NFL combine.

The Spring League players are definitely going to be a part of the mix. As far as Showcase invites.

There’s a Spring League Showcase that takes place from June 17-20 in California. The XFL’s coaching staffs and entire football operations department will be on hand. It’s going to be the final phase of game testing with all the players on hand.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

There are a few 2019 undrafted college football players, that have received invites thus far. There will be more. Some have been made public. Some may not be. We will find out more as we get closer to the Showcases.

Anthony Johnson-DL-FIU
Nick Watkins- CB- Houston/Notre Dame
Jah’Shawn Johnson- FS- Texas Tech
Dante Redwood- CB- Mercyhurst
Venzell Boulware- OL- Miami
Johnathan Banks- QB- Tulane
Kirk Barron-C- Purdue
Tanner Mangum- QB-BYU (4 star recruit who spilt time as a starter with Taysom Hill, 25 year old rookie)
Reid Miller-S- Montana
Kavontae Turpin- WR- TCU (controversial invite)
Chase DeMoor- DL- Central Washington University
Dominick Bragalone- RB- Lehigh

Turpin just pleaded guilty to assault of his girlfriend. He was kicked off the team at TCU. He was banned from working out at his pro day. This invite has kind of been swept under the rug thus far.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm There are a few 2019 undrafted college football players, that have received invites thus far. There will be more. Some have been made public. Some may not be. We will find out more as we get closer to the Showcases.

Anthony Johnson-DL-FIU
Reid Miller-S- Montana
Kavontae Turpin- WR- TCU (controversial invite)
Chase DeMoor- DL- Central Washington University

Turpin just pleaded guilty to assault of his girlfriend. He was kicked off the team at TCU. He was banned from working out at his pro day. This invite has kind of been swept under the rug thus far.
Turpin's invite was a big deal both for off field issues and on field skill. I hope he gets his act together though. He was one of my favorite TCU players before that assault situation.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

By my count.

There are 14 AAF players who have received invites. That list will grow. Most of the names have not been made public and not all of them will.

Khiry Robinson- RB- Saints/Jets/Commanders
Bradley Sylve DB- Iron/ Saints/Bills/Alabama
Busta Anderson- TE- Iron/49ers/Bears/Bills
Cody Riggs- DB- Titans/Apollos
Fabian Guerra- WR- Express/Destroyers
Jeff Luc- LB- Legends/CFL/4 NFL Teams
Dylan Donahue-LB- Legends/Jets
Khalil Bass- LB- Legends/CFL
Ed Shockley-LB- Legends/Cowboys
Tau Lotulelei- LB- Legends/Colts
Anthony Morris- OL- Express/Raiders
Cameron Nizialek- P- Legends/Georgia
Jordan Holland- DB- Commanders/CFL
Herbert Moore- DL- Commanders/Arena League
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Sun May 26, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm
Stunned to hear that he's been invited. I guess I have to admit I've misread the XFL's thought process here.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion