Expansion 2021?

XFL Football discussion.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by XFLInSTL »

If the league expands to 10 teams I think we'd see teams in Philly and Chicago. If it expands to 12 teams I think we'd see Philly, Chicago, San Diego, and either San Antonio, Orlando, or maybe Sacramento.
St. Louis Battlehawks
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I believe that MLS has been the greatest success story of my lifetime in regards to new leagues. AND I think XFL would do well to follow their example. IF AND THAT IS IF XFL has a good showing with 8 teams for the length of this first TV DEAL which us 3 yrs,then there will be expansion. AND I can not see any scenario where San Antonio and San Diego are not both considered strongly.
I believe if the spring football idea takes off in popularity we will see 12 teams by 2027.
West Seattle ,Los Angeles ,San Diego, Las Vegas or San Antonio along with Houston and Dallas.
East St. LOUIS, NEw York, Washington,Tampa Bay ,Chicago and Philly or Naahville.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 pm If the league expands to 10 teams I think we'd see teams in Philly and Chicago. If it expands to 12 teams I think we'd see Philly, Chicago, San Diego, and either San Antonio, Orlando, or maybe Sacramento.
San Francisco very nearly got a team but apparently Luck felt Seattle would've been a better west coast market. I have to think SF would be first in line for expansion, depending on how the league's geographical alignment is (who the 10th team is, if any of the original 8 relocate).
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 am
XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 pm If the league expands to 10 teams I think we'd see teams in Philly and Chicago. If it expands to 12 teams I think we'd see Philly, Chicago, San Diego, and either San Antonio, Orlando, or maybe Sacramento.
San Francisco very nearly got a team but apparently Luck felt Seattle would've been a better west coast market. I have to think SF would be first in line for expansion, depending on how the league's geographical alignment is (who the 10th team is, if any of the original 8 relocate).
In that case maybe San Francisco is a better option than Sacramento. My thinking was that Sacramento did well in the UFL (having the highest average attendance), which I believe was the only pro football team they've ever had. So it seems, as of about 5-10 years ago, that Sacramento is a decent destination for spring football.
St. Louis Battlehawks
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

I feel like San Diego doesn't make sense because San Francisco is next in line. I can't see them expand to 3 California teams in 2021. Just like I can't see them expand to 3 Texas teams. 2 Florida teams is plausible but I think San Francisco and the Midwest is a priority, not San Diego.
Ready for the team reveals...again
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Chicago? Look, there's a reason Chicago didn't get one this time around despite being market #3. No one wants another football league in Chicago. Look at the Blitz and the Enforcers. Look at how many times they tried to put arena football in Chicago... and no one shows up.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFL_FAN wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 am I feel like San Diego doesn't make sense because San Francisco is next in line. I can't see them expand to 3 California teams in 2021. Just like I can't see them expand to 3 Texas teams. 2 Florida teams is plausible but I think San Francisco and the Midwest is a priority, not San Diego.
California's a much more expansive and populous state, though. (And I'd argue that Oakland at this point makes a little more sense for the XFL than San Francisco, just because of the Warriors and Raiders moving out.) Putting teams on opposite sides of Los Angeles isn't going to be as much of an impact as putting a team smack-dab in-between two relatively closely spaced cities in Texas.
downbylaw2020
Linebacker

Post by downbylaw2020 »

Expansion shouldn't occur above the Mason Dixon without a dome. February in Chicago. Remember how emptjy those stadiums were in 2001.

San Diego is a good choice.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

downbylaw2020 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 am Expansion shouldn't occur above the Mason Dixon without a dome. February in Chicago. Remember how emptjy those stadiums were in 2001.

San Diego is a good choice.
If another east coast team gets involved in the league. Perhaps it will be one that has a dome like a Detroit.

San Diego and San Antonio are in play. They will be in consideration. I’d watch for the league’s connection with The 49ers team president Al Guido. San Fran seems like a likely destination to me. The #6 TV market that did extremely well in the original XFL.
wetdawg
Linebacker

Post by wetdawg »

The reason I even asked this is because being in Birmingham I have heard that there were talks by the league. At 1st there were talks adding this year and now that has fallen off, but possible for next. I heard this from a former Birmingham Iron higher up and someone I know personally and trust his info. I say it's just talks so might never happen but I was curious if anyone else heard that.