Houston Oiler Type Team Names

Rice Stadium, Houston, Texas (Not officially confirmed)
Sounder
Coach

Re: Houston Oiler Type Team Names

Post by Sounder »

It won't happen without s lawsuit. It's the top vote getter on the polls yes......it's a iconic look.....the whole "love ya blue" ....I miss it. I thought maybe after Bud Adams passed on......they might be more willing to release the rights to it......it would be the right thing. Texans players J.J. Watt and DeAndre Hopkins have both promoted the notion that the Texans be allowed to wear Oilers throwbacks......Tennessee Titans current CEO.....Amy Adams Strunk.....daughter of Bud......shot that down with a cold hard NO!. She also stated that the Titans themselves might do it. But it means nothing to Nashville. So why bother?
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Even if they can’t use the oilers, would they be able to use the oilers team colors for the uniforms or does the NFL have some sort of lockdown on that as well?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XFLAAFGUY wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 pm Even if they can’t use the oilers, would they be able to use the oilers team colors for the uniforms or does the NFL have some sort of lockdown on that as well?
They can use Oilers colors, just not the name. That's what I think they are going to do.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

Of all the names I've seen I like
Houston Renegades the most.
downbylaw2020
Linebacker

Post by downbylaw2020 »

NFL probably still owns "oilers". But it would be great to use. Bring back a classic FOOTBALL team name. :D
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

The Titans own that name and the owner has already said ,no. Her exact words were, A HARD NO! So that settles that.
I am hoping we don't revisit the past and go with a synonym like Roughnecks Wildcatters etc....Just doesn't excite me. But it's just one opinion. I will be a fan no matter what the name.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

IMG_20190519_144351.jpg
IMG_20190519_144351.jpg (149.11 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
Here is the Houston Gallop in Oliers "luv ya blue"....... I like it.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I guess I'm in the minority but I would really hate a name that refers to OILERS in any way. Not Oilers, not Wildcatters, not Drillers or Roughnecks. But that's just me.
I believe if Generals ends up being the name that it is an obvious reference to General Sam Houston. If so the Logo would probably need to reflect that. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any ideas for a logo that somehow communicates General Sam Houston. If they choose Generals and if it is a homage to General Houston, I will get behind that. I can see a huge white bed sheet with a black cannon and the words COME AND TAKE IT. I can see supporters dressed as soldiers from that era. I can see a great fan chant (to be written by someone) that always begins with a bugle call . There are plenty of marketing and fan friendly ideas that go along with the name Generals. I still love the name.Houston Renegades though.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm I guess I'm in the minority but I would really hate a name that refers to OILERS in any way. Not Oilers, not Wildcatters, not Drillers or Roughnecks. But that's just me.
I believe if Generals ends up being the name that it is an obvious reference to General Sam Houston. If so the Logo would probably need to reflect that. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any ideas for a logo that somehow communicates General Sam Houston. If they choose Generals and if it is a homage to General Houston, I will get behind that. I can see a huge white bed sheet with a black cannon and the words COME AND TAKE IT. I can see supporters dressed as soldiers from that era. I can see a great fan chant (to be written by someone) that always begins with a bugle call . There are plenty of marketing and fan friendly ideas that go along with the name Generals. I still love the name.Houston Renegades though.
My preference is to have Oiler-like jerseys, but be named the Generals.
Ready for the team reveals...again
sandiago
Rookie

Post by sandiago »

MikeSherman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what's legal and what's not. The NFL was still using the Colts name, so that might have been a different situation? A more contemporary comparison might the Connecticut Whale, a Hartford Whalers-inspired AHL team and now NWHL team. Is there anything stopping the XFL from coming out with the Houston Oiler or Houston Oil?

I'm on board with them just naming the team the Houston Oilers and risking the lawsuit. The publicity would probably be worth the court costs. More importantly, it's just a great brand that ought to still exist. Football deserves the Houston Oilers.
Unfortunately, it seems like Bud Adams' daughter is intent on retaining the Oilers trademark....

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cultur ... -uniforms/

So, it seems like it will certainly be met with a lawsuit if they try it, but I'm with you. Just do it anyway. Maybe they could buy the rights to the Oilers name, but that doesn't seem likely. If that fails, I think they should go with the Gamblers. Some nostalgic appeal there.