Expansion 2021?

XFL Football discussion.
wetdawg
Linebacker

Expansion 2021?

Post by wetdawg »

Just curious is there any shot for expansion if the league last past the 1st year? I've heard that they are looking at Birmingham, Orlando, San Antonio , and San Diego. Are those the cities that they would be looking at because those are the most successful cities in the AAF?
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GDAWG »

If they last past year one, they will expand.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

wetdawg wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm Just curious is there any shot for expansion if the league last past the 1st year? I've heard that they are looking at Birmingham, Orlando, San Antonio , and San Diego. Are those the cities that they would be looking at because those are the most successful cities in the AAF?
Seeing that the XFL loves big markets to maximize TV potential, I wonder if any of these cities are under consideration for the XFL. Orlando or San Antonio? Maybe. San Diego or Birmingham? Doubt it.
Ready for the team reveals...again
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If the XFL expands, it will only be 2 more teams (at least for a while) and probably Bay Area and Midwest
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The big question mark here are the television contracts. If they suddenly have a fifth broadcast every week, does that mean the XFL can negotiate a separate deal? Or would FOX and ABC be able to pick up the extra game under the current terms? If it's the former, expansion makes sense if the XFL can find someone willing to pay for the fifth game. If the it's the latter, I'm not sure what the benefit would be in 2021 or 2022.

I don't know where you heard those four cities, but I'd be surprised if any of them are on the top of the XFL's expansion list. Maybe Orlando, San Antonio, or San Diego might make sense as a relocation option if Tampa, Dallas, Houston, or Los Angeles bomb in 2020. But as it stands, I don't think any of them add much to the current portfolio, as others have referenced. I don't see why Birmingham would be considered at all.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I want the XFL to be the only spring football league without the Memphis/Orlando/Birmingham/San Antonio four some. Why do leagues always go to those cities?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

wetdawg wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm Just curious is there any shot for expansion if the league last past the 1st year? I've heard that they are looking at Birmingham, Orlando, San Antonio , and San Diego. Are those the cities that they would be looking at because those are the most successful cities in the AAF?
I wouldn’t rule out any of those locations.

Oliver Luck admitted on San Diego Radio a couple of weeks ago that the XFL purposely stayed away from cities that the AAF chose. He also said that San Diego would have been one of the locations that they would have considered.

I think San Antonio and Orlando are strong possibilities as well. The league likes those markets and noticed what they did in the AAF. SA gave them more encouragement for Dallas and Houston.

The league has to get to 2021 first. I think if fans support the league during the 2020 season, than there will be expansion teams. It remains to be seen how many. It depends on how successful they are. I would guess 2 more teams in 2021. Some cities are going to be left out. It will be stiff competition if the league takes off.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

GDAWG wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm I want the XFL to be the only spring football league without the Memphis/Orlando/Birmingham/San Antonio four some. Why do leagues always go to those cities?
I'm not sure why they always go to Memphis and Birmingham, they are markets that time and time again fail to support teams. The XFL putting 2 teams in Texas was pretty smart IMO. I wouldn't be upset if they brought in San Antonio considering their AAF success, but 3 teams in Texas in a 10 team league might be a bit much...
Ready for the team reveals...again
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm
Seeing that the XFL loves big markets to maximize TV potential, I wonder if any of these cities are under consideration for the XFL. Orlando or San Antonio? Maybe. San Diego or Birmingham? Doubt it.

If the league stands pat at 10 teams then I doubt any of these cities make the cut. But if it grows to 12 or more I could see San Diego being in the mix just because the number of strong Pacific/Mountain time zone cities is limited.

In a vacuum, San Antonio would be a decent option, but with the Texas market pretty well covered I think they're pretty far down the expansion list.

Pretty sure teams 9 and 10 will be San Francisco and either a Midwest city or Philadelphia.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm
I wouldn't rule out San Diego, with a metro population of 3 million, a natural rivalry with LA, and a winter sports market all to itself—it makes a perfect XFL market. Remember, this is the XFL, where storylines are as important as logistics.

However, I think those four cities get mentioned as potential sites simply because they always get mentioned and because AAF fanboys want to start rumors.