XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

Post by XFLInSTL »

XFL_FAN wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:39 pm
Andibald wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:31 am

And the danger
Exactly. No nudging. If June Jones wants to draft Manziel in round one or two, so be it. That’s his decision.

To each their own. If I was running an XFL team and Manziel was in the player pool for the draft. I wouldn’t take him with my first round pick. He’s a gamble and if I did draft him. I’d make sure that I have an equal or better option at quarterback, if Manziel screws up again.

Daryl Johnston passed on Manziel in the AAF because he didn’t want to disrupt his QB room in San Antonio. Logan Woodside and Marquise Williams were the teams top two quarterbacks. Johnston valued Dustin Vaughn as a leader in the locker room and didn’t want to disrupt the team chemistry by cutting him for Manziel. Those were Johnston’s comments. Despite the fact that the Commanders had the Texas connection. They probably would have sold even more tickets if they had signed him. That wasn’t an issue for San Antonio, because they drew well but Manziel would move the needle in Texas, more so than Memphis or some other smaller market.

Johnston who is now with The Dallas “Stoops”, may not have a high opinion on Manziel’s football value. June Jones, however could be a different story.

I personally want to see Manziel in the league. I like redemption attempts and there’s no denying the business aspect of him being involved. From a football aspect, I can see teams in the XFL not betting the entire farm on Johnny.
If I'm Dallas and I have pick #1 right now, I'd have to get Shawn Oakman. He's a beast. Definitely a 1st rounder IMO.
Omg is he an option? Didn't he have domestic violence issues?
St. Louis Battlehawks
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:47 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Exactly. No nudging. If June Jones wants to draft Manziel in round one or two, so be it. That’s his decision.

To each their own. If I was running an XFL team and Manziel was in the player pool for the draft. I wouldn’t take him with my first round pick. He’s a gamble and if I did draft him. I’d make sure that I have an equal or better option at quarterback, if Manziel screws up again.

Daryl Johnston passed on Manziel in the AAF because he didn’t want to disrupt his QB room in San Antonio. Logan Woodside and Marquise Williams were the teams top two quarterbacks. Johnston valued Dustin Vaughn as a leader in the locker room and didn’t want to disrupt the team chemistry by cutting him for Manziel. Those were Johnston’s comments. Despite the fact that the Commanders had the Texas connection. They probably would have sold even more tickets if they had signed him. That wasn’t an issue for San Antonio, because they drew well but Manziel would move the needle in Texas, more so than Memphis or some other smaller market.

Johnston who is now with The Dallas “Stoops”, may not have a high opinion on Manziel’s football value. June Jones, however could be a different story.

I personally want to see Manziel in the league. I like redemption attempts and there’s no denying the business aspect of him being involved. From a football aspect, I can see teams in the XFL not betting the entire farm on Johnny.
If I'm Dallas and I have pick #1 right now, I'd have to get Shawn Oakman. He's a beast. Definitely a 1st rounder IMO.
Omg is he an option? Didn't he have domestic violence issues?
He was acquitted a while back because the rape allegations were all wrong. They messed up his career a lot. He should be in the NFL right now, but these allegations made GM's decide not to take the risk. Now that we know they were all wrong, the XFL can get him. He played in the Spring League, so you know the XFL had their eyes on him. I think there's a good chance we see Shawn Oakman in the XFL since his track record is clear now.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Even with the acquittal, I don't think Oakman gets a shot. The XFL doesn't want the word "rape" or "domestic violence" to appear in the same paragraph as "XFL," even if it's proceeded by the words "acquitted of." If the woman had recanted, that might be a different story, but this is the type of thing they are very intentionally steering as far away from as they can.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 am Even with the acquittal, I don't think Oakman gets a shot. The XFL doesn't want the word "rape" or "domestic violence" to appear in the same paragraph as "XFL," even if it's proceeded by the words "acquitted of." If the woman had recanted, that might be a different story, but this is the type of thing they are very intentionally steering as far away from as they can.
Difficult call and decision for the league to make. Your point is well made. There’s certainly a conflict here in this situation. The matter has to be investigated thoroughly. I fully understand the rationale of the league taking the approach that you are suggesting.

Personally, I would want him in the league. If I was running a team. I would draft him. I understand that this isn’t a talent issue. On talent alone, he’s a NFL caliber player.

People would use the signing as a smear tactic against the league. It’s a PR issue for sure. If the league does sign and draft Oakman. They have to be prepared for any potential backlash.