Ranking The XFL’s Eight Head Coaches

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Ranking The XFL’s Eight Head Coaches

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 pm Reading the comments here I don't think your XFL LA bias got in the way here. Moss is a leader of men, his team is bound to be a gritty group. Hayes is more unproven IMO. Everybody's got him at 8.
Plus, you look at Moss's resume and he was second-in-command under McCarthy at Green Bay and a very strong candidate for an NFL head coaching gig, even without the Rooney Rule. (He even did head coach a Pro Bowl roster after McCarthy bailed... and won.)

Hayes, he's kind of a head scratching hire. He's never held anything above a position coach level, other than one Shrine Game, and he never really showed much of a desire (either that or no team really showed interest) in moving up the ranks.

Moss has a strong resume, and Hayes has by far the weakest.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm Pep has a real chance because of his ties to DC, to grow in popularity. There's one point, the NJ.com article makes that I am on board with. There's potential for Pep to become a head coach in The NFL or even college. Provided that his XFL gig goes well. One of my personal favorite hires, and no disrespect to the other coaches but ranking position coaches ahead of Hamilton is unfair. At the end of the day, Pep is part of a 3 coach group of unknowns with Hayes and Moss, but his experience level trumps them. That doesn't mean that Pep is going to be more successful than them, but ranking him dead last is off base.
While Hamilton indeed has some more experience, it isn't all good. He was not exactly loved in Michigan, and before that, he was part of the disaster in Cleveland. His work as QB coach in Chicago coincided with the collapse of Rex Grossman's career. Had he not developed Oliver Luck's son Andrew, Hamilton probably never would've been hired.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm Pep has a real chance because of his ties to DC, to grow in popularity. There's one point, the NJ.com article makes that I am on board with. There's potential for Pep to become a head coach in The NFL or even college. Provided that his XFL gig goes well. One of my personal favorite hires, and no disrespect to the other coaches but ranking position coaches ahead of Hamilton is unfair. At the end of the day, Pep is part of a 3 coach group of unknowns with Hayes and Moss, but his experience level trumps them. That doesn't mean that Pep is going to be more successful than them, but ranking him dead last is off base.
While Hamilton indeed has some more experience, it isn't all good. He was not exactly loved in Michigan, and before that, he was part of the disaster in Cleveland. His work as QB coach in Chicago coincided with the collapse of Rex Grossman's career. Had he not developed Oliver Luck's son Andrew, Hamilton probably never would've been hired.
Those are solid arguments against Hamilton. Pep’s work with Andrew in Stanford and Indy, relationship with Oliver helped him get the job.

However neither Winston Moss or Jonathan Hayes has ever a coordinated a top 10 offense or defense in the NFL. They’ve never been coordinators on the college or NFL level, for that matter. It’s all subjective, I don’t have Hamilton ranked in the top tier of the XFL coaches, but I object to him being ranked last.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Sounder wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm Without an explanation.....here is the Sounder XFL Coach ratings.....1. Stoops..... 2 Trestman......3. Hayes. 4. Moss...... 5. Jones...... 6. Hamilton.......7. Gilbride.......8. Zorn.
What the hell is that? Hayes deserves no better than last based on resume.
St. Louis Battlehawks
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Every new venture comes with it's unknowns....... I did see the Zorn hiring as just a local face for the team.....rather than a tactical guy with a solid idea...... that's what's unknown about Hayes......maybe he's that guy.......when I'm right...... you'll come around.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 am
Sounder wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm Without an explanation.....here is the Sounder XFL Coach ratings.....1. Stoops..... 2 Trestman......3. Hayes. 4. Moss...... 5. Jones...... 6. Hamilton.......7. Gilbride.......8. Zorn.
You know the take is hot when the St. Louis fan points out that his coach should not be close to #3. Who knows? Maybe Sounder will be right.
Ready for the team reveals...again
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:15 am
XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 am
You know the take is hot when the St. Louis fan points out that his coach should not be close to #3. Who knows? Maybe Sounder will be right.
Jesus I hope so.
St. Louis Battlehawks