June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

Post by Tank55 »

You don't know that, and you shouldn't be speaking as though you do. The XFL has a lot of benefits over the CFL (much shorter season, 11-man football, U.S. residency, potentially easier path to the NFL, a former coach he might like, etc.), and if the money is close, it could definitely be an option he takes seriously.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:12 pm You don't know that, and you shouldn't be speaking as though you do. The XFL has a lot of benefits over the CFL (much shorter season, 11-man football, U.S. residency, potentially easier path to the NFL, a former coach he might like, etc.), and if the money is close, it could definitely be an option he takes seriously.
He is not going to give up a job in a well established league to be a starter for a league that could only last one season.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If the XFL goes under like the AAF, he could go back to the CFL and not even miss training camp. He won't be blackballed; CFL teams will still need quarterbacks.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I just want the XFL QB's to be fresh faces who are not starters in the NFL or CFL
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm My knee jerk reaction is this kinda feels like the Gilbride hire. Feels a tad underwhelming but he's got tons of experience, a fair amount of success, and strong local ties. Not sure what more you could ask. They can't all be Bob Stoops.
I think Jones has more juice than Gilbride. Kevin did win 2 Super Bowls as the Giants OC, although New York fans act like it never happened.

Jones has a great connection to Houston and the state of Texas. It’s not an absolute must for these hires. See Hayes in STL, but I think the commissioner realizes how important the history of Houston football is. You just knew that Oliver was going to target someone with ties to the market.

Jones has never been a great or very good head coach but his overall resume is extremely impressive. Head Coach in college, The NFL and the CFL, with experience in the USFL as well. There’s no denying the body of work and experience.
Jones is credited for turning around SMU. Before he got there, SMU was one of the worst programs in the entire state of Texas and he led them to the 2009 Hawaii Bowl, their first bowl game since 1984, pre-Death penalty. They also went to 4 consecutive bowl games under his watch. It didn't end well for him at SMU though.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:53 pm These would be the starting QB's for the CFL:

BC Lions- Mike Reilly
Calgary Stampeders- Bo Levi Mitchell
Edmonton Eskimos- Trevor Harris
Hamilton Tiger Cats- Jeremiah Masoli
Montreal Alouettes- ?
Ottawa Redblacks- - Jonathon Jennings
Saskatchewan Rough Riders- Zach Collaros
Toronto Argonauts- McCleod Bethel- Thompson/James Franklin
Winnipeg Blue Bombers- Matt Nichols

Back to Masoli. If he has a great year in Hamilton, I would think that there would be interest from several of the other CFL teams, like Montreal and Toronto. He would not turn down a chance to play for Montreal or Toronto to go to the XFL.
I wouldn’t rule out the XFL completely. It depends what the XFL offers him. Besides the opportunity to play pro football again in the states on ABC and Fox.

The new CFL cba might make life better for CFL players. It could in theory, improve player salaries as well. The star QB in the CFL does well. They can make anywhere from 500k to maybe even a million Canadian. 500k Canadian is about 370k in American dollars.

No disrespect to that quality list of quarterbacks playing in the CFL, they don’t really move the needle here in the states. We know who Masoli is but most American fans would say “Who?” and “They are paying him What?”.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I mean, American pro fans would say that. If you're following college football, especially if you're in the Pacific Northwest, you know who Masoli is.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 pm I mean, American pro fans would say that. If you're following college football, especially if you're in the Pacific Northwest, you know who Masoli is.
I agree. There’s value in the player for sure. He has some name recognition. Especially in those parts. It’s a shame but in some cases, players are forgotten quickly once time passes. Masoli was a star at Oregon. Rising from 3rd string. He then had controversy, transferred to Ole Miss and had an up and down final year in college. (14tds 13ints). It’s been 11 years since he was the Holiday Bowl MVP. He got no shot in the NFL and had a cup of coffee with the UFL. We know who he is and admire his skill set but he’s not considered a superstar player here in America.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I'm good with the hire as long as we get Johnny Manziel. That would be great for Houston and Johnny.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

The XFL won't go under any time soon. If anyone has listened to Luck. They have half a billion $ invested and a multi year tv deal.