Post by XFL_FAN »

Lots of experience. Great hire!

XFL2k confirmed: https://xfl2k.com/news/june-jones-to-jo ... -coach-gm/
Ready for the team reveals...again
GDAWG
MVP

Re: June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

Post by GDAWG »

Interesting fact: He replaced Gilbride in San Diego.

He is also remembered by NFL fans as the head coach who got into a nationally televised shouting match with Jeff George.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

You kind of had the feeling that The Houston hire would be someone who is connected to Houston football history. Jones has that and then some.

I like the NFL/CFL experience as a head coach.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Last year he was head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and was going to stay on as an assistant up there. Overall he went .500; not terrible but not great, either.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

One thing to watch for is to see if Jones brings in Art Briles.

Jones wanted to hire Briles for his staff in Hamilton but got blocked from doing so by the league commissioner (who's had a habit of micromanaging CFL teams' personnel decisions during his tenure; see also Johnny Manziel) after the whole fiasco at Baylor. Last we knew, Briles was in exile in Italy. There've been some developments in the process that suggest Briles may have been framed in a sense, so I wonder if the XFL gives him another shot as a coordinator.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm One thing to watch for is to see if Jones brings in Art Briles.

Jones wanted to hire Briles for his staff in Hamilton but got blocked from doing so by the league commissioner (who's had a habit of micromanaging CFL teams' personnel decisions during his tenure; see also Johnny Manziel) after the whole fiasco at Baylor. Last we knew, Briles was in exile in Italy. There've been some developments in the process that suggest Briles may have been framed in a sense, so I wonder if the XFL gives him another shot as a coordinator.
That’s a good point. It’s very possible. People will link a lot of different potential names to Jones staff. Players too. It would be funny to see Jones come full circle and coach Chad Kelly. The nephew of Jim Kelly.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

My knee jerk reaction is this kinda feels like the Gilbride hire. Feels a tad underwhelming but he's got tons of experience, a fair amount of success, and strong local ties. Not sure what more you could ask. They can't all be Bob Stoops.

If I were to update my coach rankings I'd list it this way:

1. Trestman
2. Stoops
3. Hamilton
4. Gilbride
5. Jones
6. Moss
7. Zorn
8. Hayes
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm One thing to watch for is to see if Jones brings in Art Briles.

Art Briles doesn't need to be in the XFL.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm My knee jerk reaction is this kinda feels like the Gilbride hire. Feels a tad underwhelming but he's got tons of experience, a fair amount of success, and strong local ties. Not sure what more you could ask. They can't all be Bob Stoops.

If I were to update my coach rankings I'd list it this way:

1. Trestman
2. Stoops
3. Hamilton
4. Gilbride
5. Jones
6. Moss
7. Zorn
8. Hayes
I agree except I'd put Stoops #1. No disrespect to Trestman there's definitely an argument for him at #1.
Ready for the team reveals...again