XFL Houston HC Possibilities

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL Houston HC Possibilities

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 pm Jeff Fisher and Jim Leavitt were talked to about The Houston job.

Mike Singletary would be my choice. Born in Houston. Went to high school in Houston. Coaches in Dallas.

Mike Riley would be interesting for The Houston job as well. He just coached in San Antonio. The guy has HC experience in every league. College, NFL, The World League, The CFL and The AAF.

Bruce Matthews is a lot like Jonathan Hayes minus the long resume. He’s never been more than a position coach. He retired from coaching 6 years ago.

An outside the box hire would be June Jones. He recently accepted a demotion in The CFL. Stepped aside as HC for Orlando Steinauer. Jones is the OC for The Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Jones has Texas ties. Coached SMU. Head coach in the NFL and CFL. He actually has the distinction of coaching for The Houston Gamblers in The USFL and coaching with The Houston Oilers. Jones has always been a strange bird and an outside the box type coach.
if the rumors of Jerry Glanville as Tampa DC are not true, how about him?
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 pm Jeff Fisher and Jim Leavitt were talked to about The Houston job.

Mike Singletary would be my choice. Born in Houston. Went to high school in Houston. Coaches in Dallas.

Mike Riley would be interesting for The Houston job as well. He just coached in San Antonio. The guy has HC experience in every league. College, NFL, The World League, The CFL and The AAF.

Bruce Matthews is a lot like Jonathan Hayes minus the long resume. He’s never been more than a position coach. He retired from coaching 6 years ago.

An outside the box hire would be June Jones. He recently accepted a demotion in The CFL. Stepped aside as HC for Orlando Steinauer. Jones is the OC for The Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Jones has Texas ties. Coached SMU. Head coach in the NFL and CFL. He actually has the distinction of coaching for The Houston Gamblers in The USFL and coaching with The Houston Oilers. Jones has always been a strange bird and an outside the box type coach.
I feel like June Jones would be a nice hire for Houston. I'd like to see how that offense plays
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Jones, much like Kevin Gilbride had a notorious NFL moment. Gilbride was punched by Buddy Ryan and Jones had the televised argument with Jeff George.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 pm

if the rumors of Jerry Glanville as Tampa DC are not true, how about him?
I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s kind of a nostalgia and feel good hire for some. Especially because of his advanced age. It’s interesting that the XFL hasn’t made Trestman’s hirings official but they announced Hamilton’s coordinator hires in DC.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Xfldcnews wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:40 pm

I feel like June Jones would be a nice hire for Houston. I'd like to see how that offense plays
I wouldn’t be against it. I like when a league has different types of coaching styles and personalities. Jones has always been a pass happy coach. He always believes in light practices and playing up tempo and fast paced on game day.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:50 pm Jones, much like Kevin Gilbride had a notorious NFL moment. Gilbride was punched by Buddy Ryan and Jones had the televised argument with Jeff George.
Both are pass happy coaches. Both ran the run and shoot. Gilbride got punched in the face for throwing too much and not killing clock.

That Jones-George argument was funny. Rare seeing that type of tirade between a QB and his coach.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I will be curious to know if the Houston and LA coaches were at the Spring League. If they did come from the AAF, the Spring League would have started a week after the league suspended operations.

I would think that out the AAF coaches who would go the XFL in future years, I don't see Dennis Erickson or Rick Neuheisel making that jump.
Roy.brown75
Linebacker

Post by Roy.brown75 »

Jeff fisher would of been a good one
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... comments
Wade Phillips.

The Rams defensive coordinator has the chops to be a head coach, but after three different stints in that role (and with the league skewing young when it comes to head coaches), a fourth NFL opportunity is unlikely. A first XFL opportunity could be compelling, especially if it were to happen in the city where his dad, Bum, became a local legend as coach of the Oilers.

The L.A. XFL franchise also has a vacancy, and as Charean mentioned during the show, Wade’s children and grandchildren live there. And maybe, if Wade were willing and the Rams and the XFL were cooperative, Phillips could work for the Rams and moonlight with the XFL, after the NFL season ends.

However it plays out, there are some intriguing options for the final two XFL coaching spots. And landing a guy like Wade Phillips would go a long way to giving a specific team, and the league in general, plenty of credibility and legitimacy.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

That would be incredibly impressive.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion