XFL Houston HC Possibilities

XFL Football discussion.
Xfldcnews
Receiver

XFL Houston HC Possibilities

Post by Xfldcnews »

Now that Jeff has officially declined the XFL Houston job. Who is the top candidates?
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: XFL Houston HC Possibilities

Post by Andibald »

Xfldcnews wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm Now that Jeff has officially declined the XFL Houston job. Who is the top candidates?
I'll throw out a few former Oilers with some coaching experience.

Bruce Matthews
Billy "white shoes" Johnson
Haywood Jeffires
Earnest Givens

I believe Matthews and Jeffires live in the Houston area.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

Andibald wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm
Xfldcnews wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm Now that Jeff has officially declined the XFL Houston job. Who is the top candidates?
I'll throw out a few former Oilers with some coaching experience.

Bruce Matthews
Billy "white shoes" Johnson
Haywood Jeffires
Earnest Givens

I believe Matthews and Jeffires live in the Houston area.
I doubt Matthews or Jeffries will be in a HC position. I don't believe either one has any coaching experience
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

Well Matthews does a little but I still don't see him being the HC for houston
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Xfldcnews wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm Well Matthews does a little but I still don't see him being the HC for houston
According to wiki,
As of 2008, Jeffires is coaching the Bay Area Gamblers, a semipro football team in Pearland, Texas.
All are doubtful but we gotta start the conversation somewhere ;)

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

Andibald wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Xfldcnews wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm Well Matthews does a little but I still don't see him being the HC for houston
According to wiki,
As of 2008, Jeffires is coaching the Bay Area Gamblers, a semipro football team in Pearland, Texas.
All are doubtful but we gotta start the conversation somewhere ;)
Ahhhhhhh I didn't know about jeffires coaching semi pro
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Based on the Stl pick, I'll throw out another doubtful possibility.

Jerry Rosberg - retired special teams coach for the Baltimore Ravens. His presser announcing his retirement makes me think he is done coaching and looking forward to family time. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call from Mr. Luck.

He maybe would have fit better in DC assuming he and his family live in the Baltimore area, but...The Ravens are birds and the Cardinals are birds so... :)

GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If they want to go the AAF route, Mike Singletary. He is from Houston.
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 pm If they want to go the AAF route, Mike Singletary. He is from Houston.
That's who I was about to say. According to reports he has been messaging Luck, along with other coaches from the AAF
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Jeff Fisher and Jim Leavitt were talked to about The Houston job.

Mike Singletary would be my choice. Born in Houston. Went to high school in Houston. Coaches in Dallas.

Mike Riley would be interesting for The Houston job as well. He just coached in San Antonio. The guy has HC experience in every league. College, NFL, The World League, The CFL and The AAF.

Bruce Matthews is a lot like Jonathan Hayes minus the long resume. He’s never been more than a position coach. He retired from coaching 6 years ago.

An outside the box hire would be June Jones. He recently accepted a demotion in The CFL. Stepped aside as HC for Orlando Steinauer. Jones is the OC for The Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Jones has Texas ties. Coached SMU. Head coach in the NFL and CFL. He actually has the distinction of coaching for The Houston Gamblers in The USFL and coaching with The Houston Oilers. Jones has always been a strange bird and an outside the box type coach.