AAF suspending operations.

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Re: AAF suspending operations.

Post by SamTheRam28 »

This is the best way I've seen the situation summed up. From the r/AAF_Football subreddit:
So Ebersol and Polian didn't have enough money to start the league, but started it anyway because they wanted to beat the XFL. Then they sold control of the league out of desperation to Dundon, who secretly wanted to shut it down to strip its assets like the live player tracking and play-predictor technology to turn it into gambling. EDIT: All the while playing it off like the NFL is to blame.

Meanwhile, Vince McMahon just sold $272 million in WWE stock to get ready for the XFL starting back up next year so that his football league would actually, you know, have money to pay for the stuff it takes to run a football league.
So Ebersol and Polian didn't have enoug ... urce=share
St. Louis BattleHawks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:40 pm This is the best way I've seen the situation summed up. From the r/AAF_Football subreddit:
So Ebersol and Polian didn't have enough money to start the league, but started it anyway because they wanted to beat the XFL. Then they sold control of the league out of desperation to Dundon, who secretly wanted to shut it down to strip its assets like the live player tracking and play-predictor technology to turn it into gambling. EDIT: All the while playing it off like the NFL is to blame.

Meanwhile, Vince McMahon just sold $272 million in WWE stock to get ready for the XFL starting back up next year so that his football league would actually, you know, have money to pay for the stuff it takes to run a football league.
So Ebersol and Polian didn't have enoug ... urce=share
That sounds about right.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... success/

How much did Bill and Charlie lose? Reggie Fowler bailed after $28 million and Dundon's $70 after million. Who else lost money? I'm disappointed that they said the league was funded for 3-5 years and it wasn't.
“I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football,” Polian said in a statement. “When Mr Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all. The momentum generated by our players, coaches and football staff had us well positioned for future success. Regrettably, we will not have that opportunity.”

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If that lawsuit was to be believed, Ebersol put in a nominal amount of cash. His big contribution was sweat equity.

If Dundon's only goal was to grab the technology, I'll still need someone to explain to me why he funded it for all these weeks. What does he have now that he didn't have after Week 3?

Just a thought, but I wonder if the non-reaction to Manziel's arrival was an eye-opener for him.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:58 pm If that lawsuit was to be believed, Ebersol put in a nominal amount of cash. His big contribution was sweat equity.

If Dundon's only goal was to grab the technology, I'll still need someone to explain to me why he funded it for all these weeks. What does he have now that he didn't have after Week 3?

Just a thought, but I wonder if the non-reaction to Manziel's arrival was an eye-opener for him.
Maybe he hoped the league would be a success. It looked OK after week 1,other than the lack of money (Charlie? Bill?). The tech may have been his safety net and if it was, he had a price he was willing to pay.

Or...???

Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Jerry Jones? Jerry Jones?.......where art thou?......just think ......if you drop a few dimes on this...... you could have a farm system for the Dallas Cowboys. One of your VERY OWN!!!!

And how bout it Vince? For a price marked down cheaper than day old doughnuts..... you could get it for a fraction of what it cost to get WCW. Then you could walk to the center of the ring on RAW and invite Dundon down to hand over the paper.....then have Randy Orton come out and lay him out with a chair. Now THAT'S good sports entertainment.
Last edited by Sounder on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:53 pm https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... success/

How much did Bill and Charlie lose? Reggie Fowler bailed after $28 million and Dundon's $70 after million. Who else lost money? I'm disappointed that they said the league was funded for 3-5 years and it wasn't.
“I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football,” Polian said in a statement. “When Mr Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all. The momentum generated by our players, coaches and football staff had us well positioned for future success. Regrettably, we will not have that opportunity.”
Charlie and Polian really didn’t think that Fowler would bail. Reggie Fowler put in 28 million, saw the positive reviews and ratings, after week 1, and still bailed. That’s pretty telling to me because the league was at it’s peak projection value at that point. The whole Dundon thing wasn’t supposed to happen.

Remember Charlie stating that the league was going to try and raise 850 million dollars over the first 5 years. It’s one thing to already have the money in the bank and another to say that you are going to attempt to get that type of funding.

I am still in denial at this point.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:59 pm
Andibald wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:53 pm https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... success/

Charlie and Polian really didn’t think that Fowler would bail. Reggie Fowler put in 28 million, saw the positive reviews and ratings, after week 1, and still bailed. That’s pretty telling to me because the league was at it’s peak projection value at that point. The whole Dundon thing wasn’t supposed to happen.

Remember Charlie stating that the league was going to try and raise 850 million dollars over the first 5 years. It’s one thing to already have the money in the bank and another to say that you are going to attempt to get that type of funding.

I am still in denial at this point.
It sounds more and more Charlie and Polian just wanted to beat Vince before they where really financially to do it. At first I thought the XFL had not chance when it was first announced. As time went on and all the stories about funding, how the rosters came in the AAF, and what the XFL been doing, I quickly changed my mind. The XFL dipping in deeper in college players alone can work. Sad for the players and coaches and the fans. The XFL however now can pick out the talented players and maybe the coaches too. If the XFL does well the markets may get XFL teams down the road. The AAF picked good markets I thought. Just as a league lack of preparation.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Man...what a bummer.

I watched it at the beginning, hating the mascots, hating Charlie for coming out first, but hoping for decent football and we got it.

Now it brings into perspective the chaos around the Ebersols and new leagues. Gotta think Mr. McMahon got “Eborsol’d” the first time, his kid made the documentary, and started his league first. Maybe McMahon will fund a “this was the AAF”, lol.

Maybe in the near future the XFL can grab the San Antonio market (or start this coming year switching out Houston for now as the fans are guaranteed, stadium is there and the mascot is solid!). The fans there didn’t deserve this.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Oh man.....after the latest article I read.....it seems Dundon s only real goal was the gambling technology and the whole making a deal with the NFL was not much more than a smokescreen to set people up for the imminent shutdown.....and what a horrible way to do it. He hurt a LOT of people. It's not even certain if his investment and position in the AAF really entitles him to own it. There will be court battles ahead. Vince McMahon only played an evil billionaire on television...... Tom Dundon is the real deal. He does deserve a chair bash to the head.....perhaps a slam through a table as well.