XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl reaching out to all players who ended 2020 on an xfl roster

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:38 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:36 pm
herns wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:07 pm

So you’re telling me it’s Matt McGloin and cardale Jones time?

(Edit) It was meant to be a joke😬
It was supposed to be a joke!!! 😭
Wow - would be surprised if CJ lands a spot.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I’d be fine with him making it as a backup or even competing for a starting spot in camp. But based on his performance in 2020 and now being almost three years removed from that, I’d be disappointed if he’s an assigned (top-level) QB again.
@gregmparks
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GregParks wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:00 pm I’d be fine with him making it as a backup or even competing for a starting spot in camp. But based on his performance in 2020 and now being almost three years removed from that, I’d be disappointed if he’s an assigned (top-level) QB again.
Jones is toast. He couldn't make the roster of the Edmonton Elks out of training camp. He couldn't even over take Tyler Cornelious for a spot
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:00 pm I’d be fine with him making it as a backup or even competing for a starting spot in camp. But based on his performance in 2020 and now being almost three years removed from that, I’d be disappointed if he’s an assigned (top-level) QB again.
If he’s an assigned (top-level) qb then I’m worried for what xfl quality is gonna be
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I don’t see CJ as an allocated qb this time around either. He clearly was having his struggles in DC before getting benched for Tyree Jackson. I feel that the XFL is going to have more talent this time around plus 12 is going to be 3 years removed from his last game in February’23.

However, I absolutely see him in the XFL as a backup. He still wants to play and he has connections with the top executives of the league. Brandon/Whaley drafted him in Buffalo and perhaps wish him one last opportunity to have success. Along those same lines I have wondered if there was any chance they lure EJ Manuel out of retirement. I know he’s doing tv now but if he has any desire to make a comeback I would think it would be with this group. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s coming back to play but I would think there might at least have been a conversation with their former first round pick.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

There are quite a few who have retired since the XFL 2020 ended, I highly doubt they will want to come back, at least not to play.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:44 pm There are quite a few who have retired since the XFL 2020 ended, I highly doubt they will want to come back, at least not to play.
Agreed - that's why the announcement came off as flat.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The only XFL QB's from 2020 we might see play in 2023 is probably Cardale himself, Brandon Silvers and PJ Walker. Landry Jones, Matt McGloin, Connor Cook, Aaron Murray have retired. Jordan Ta'amu is in the USFL. Luis Perez is probably going to be back in the USFL when the Rams cut him again (unless Stafford's injury is serious enough). Josh Johnson and Taylor Heniecke are firmly entrenched as #2 QB's in Denver and Washington respectively.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:55 pm The only XFL QB's from 2020 we might see play in 2023 is probably Cardale himself, Brandon Silvers and PJ Walker. Landry Jones, Matt McGloin, Connor Cook, Aaron Murray have retired. Jordan Ta'amu is in the USFL. Luis Perez is probably going to be back in the USFL when the Rams cut him again (unless Stafford's injury is serious enough). Josh Johnson and Taylor Heniecke are firmly entrenched as #2 QB's in Denver and Washington respectively.
And Brandon Silvers went undrafted in the USFL twice, plus Cardale is washed up. Really PJ is the only QB they should try to get back, but there's no guarantee he'll be available.
St. Louis BattleHawks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I think Cardale coming back is a big maybe, but he does have connections and he (allegedly) worked out at a showcase. If his workout was positive, he’s got a big arm and a team might love the thought of that.

Almost three years later and there has been many, many QBs that have graduated college and/or have been cut by NFL teams. Coaches and DPPs will root these players out and find some fresh blood for the XFL.

Incidentally, I interviewed a young QB Jordan Kitna, and he talked a bit about the high tech analytics they captured at the showcase. It sounds like the coaches have interesting deep data on performance. They probably have up to date analytics on Jones.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers