USFL news

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL - Philadelphia Stars

Post by 4th&long »

super390 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:32 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:35 am

Philly will get into this - Eagles SB win may hurt a bit, but its a FB town.
The Stars underperformed in attendance in the old USFL, given the outstanding teams it had. It played boring football but that's forgiven in the Northeast as long as you win.

It's forgotten that it moved to "Baltimore" in 1985 to supposedly avoid head-to-head competition with the Eagles in the planned switch to fall. But it didn't draw well anyplace at all. In reality its new home was the Univ. of Maryland's stadium on the border of the District of Columbia. You can actually get there using the DC subway system, so it was closer to the District than Redskins Park. Thus this still put it in conflict with an NFL market, and it went badly.
Looking at the attendance...I don't think they underperformed being that Philly then was an Eagles, Flyers town and Phillies were a World Series team in '83 and Sixers were in Finals in '82 and were champs in 1983. Stars attendance was good. The one thing about USFL is its afairweather sport too. Rain - will have big impact.

https://sites.google.com/site/remembert ... attendance

Over 18k yr 1, 28k yr 2 - That's excellent IMO.

Recall Jax had no Jags, Denver no NHL or MLB team, Birmingham still nothing, TB no MLB or NHL, AZ no MLB or NHL.

Philly was a competitive sports town as I illustrated above yet Philly supported the Stars.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/ ... ondly.html

>> But the Stars were head and shoulders the best team in that league during its all-too-brief existence. They won two of the league's three championships (1984-85) and lost in the title game in the other (1983). They won 41 of 54 regular-season games and seven of eight in the postseason.
Advertisement

And the city loved them. They had a 25,000 season-ticket base in only their second season of existence. More than 50,000 people lined the eight-block parade route after the '84 championship game, and another 30,000 jammed JFK Plaza for the post-parade celebration. <<

Philly is a NO BRAINER for USFL return.
super390
Receiver

Re: USFL news

Post by super390 »

What I respect about the Stars is that they didn't spend a lot of money to get the fans they had. As opposed to the far larger Generals crowds who were there to see the superstars. That just wasn't financially viable.
(The Stars were complimented at the time for having stayed within the USFL's recommended $1.6 million payroll limit.)
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

super390 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:19 pm What I respect about the Stars is that they didn't spend a lot of money to get the fans they had. As opposed to the far larger Generals crowds who were there to see the superstars. That just wasn't financially viable.
(The Stars were complimented at the time for having stayed within the USFL's recommended $1.6 million payroll limit.)
Cool fact, did not know that. Well run org.

Though NY is always going to go big so not surprised there either.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I think the USFL did a good job of bringing back the teams that were the most popular but still staying within their startup plans geographically wise. For my own nostalgic reasons, I would have rather seen the Memphis Showboats resurrected than the New Orleans Breakers. I’m not saying it’s a bad move but I think it’s a bold move based off of the destruction that New Orleans has seen.They supported the team before so hopefully they will again.

Now, I’m anxious to see the head coaching hires, player news and rules. IMO they can’t be cheap with the coaching staffs and the players need to be paid as quality of play is a must. I would also like to see some creative rules be implemented. They don’t have to copy the XFL rules but a shakeup from the NFL norm would be refreshing and add a level of excitement for people to stay engaged in the games. I feel the different rules in the XFL really attracted a lot of fans and I hope the USFL has something up their sleeve rules wise as well. This would really help set the USFL apart and give the league its own identity.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The Showboats were the more notable team, for Reggie White, but it's more a long-term issue. In Memphis there's no place really to play, the Liberty Bowl was a disaster during the CFL experiment, and really exposed during the Maniax and Express. With NO you can go smaller with Yulman at least.

The Breakers did have both Marcus Marek and Marcus Dupree during their one season in NOLA, so it's not like they were bereft of talent.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:07 am I think the USFL did a good job of bringing back the teams that were the most popular but still staying within their startup plans geographically wise. For my own nostalgic reasons, I would have rather seen the Memphis Showboats resurrected than the New Orleans Breakers. I’m not saying it’s a bad move but I think it’s a bold move based off of the destruction that New Orleans has seen.They supported the team before so hopefully they will again.

Now, I’m anxious to see the head coaching hires, player news and rules. IMO they can’t be cheap with the coaching staffs and the players need to be paid as quality of play is a must. I would also like to see some creative rules be implemented. They don’t have to copy the XFL rules but a shakeup from the NFL norm would be refreshing and add a level of excitement for people to stay engaged in the games. I feel the different rules in the XFL really attracted a lot of fans and I hope the USFL has something up their sleeve rules wise as well. This would really help set the USFL apart and give the league its own identity.
Colin Cowherd said it’ll be NFL rules with a free tweaks. Mike Mitchell send to think Wade Phillips is coaching in Houston and I’ve heard a lot the league is going after spurrier and June Jones, it’s aimed Hal Mumme is coaching also
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:50 am The Showboats were the more notable team, for Reggie White, but it's more a long-term issue. In Memphis there's no place really to play, the Liberty Bowl was a disaster during the CFL experiment, and really exposed during the Maniax and Express. With NO you can go smaller with Yulman at least.

The Breakers did have both Marcus Marek and Marcus Dupree during their one season in NOLA, so it's not like they were bereft of talent.

The Mad Dogs were a disappointment along with virtually the whole CFL southern expansion experiment, except for Baltimore. The Stallions drew well, but just like St. Louis in the XFL, they felt burned by the NFL and were out to prove them wrong. The whole let’s bring a new CFL team to Tennessee and play them during the college football season was not going to be a recipe for success IMO. Neither was trying to cram a CFL sized field in the Liberty Bowl.

The Showboats did have fairly stable ownership unlike a number of USFL teams at the time. If Memphis had an investor or ownership group now, like they had when the Mad Dogs came into existence, I feel they would have been brought back, as that’s the league’s ultimate goal. But yeah, the poor showing of the Express doesn’t really have an excuse. However, Birmingham didn’t exactly burn up the ticket office either. Oh well, I’m not trying to lobby for Memphis now, just pointing out that for me, the Showboats were a top 8 nostalgic USFL team.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 am
Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:07 am I think the USFL did a good job of bringing back the teams that were the most popular but still staying within their startup plans geographically wise. For my own nostalgic reasons, I would have rather seen the Memphis Showboats resurrected than the New Orleans Breakers. I’m not saying it’s a bad move but I think it’s a bold move based off of the destruction that New Orleans has seen.They supported the team before so hopefully they will again.

Colin Cowherd said it’ll be NFL rules with a free tweaks. Mike Mitchell send to think Wade Phillips is coaching in Houston and I’ve heard a lot the league is going after spurrier and June Jones, it’s aimed Hal Mumme is coaching also

If what he says about the rules turns out to be true, I think the USFL will miss out on a great opportunity to be different. Also, different rules takes some people’s focus off of trying to point out that alt football players aren’t NFL players, which irritates me. In some ways, I enjoy watching lesser known players working hard, more. The AAF did mostly the NFL rules sans blitzing rules. I felt the XFL games were definitely more exciting. If the XFL brings back most of their rules package, IMO advantage XFL in any head to head competition.

Any of the coaches mentioned so far I would be happy with. I know he’s mentioned but everything I have seen about June Jones suggests maybe he is holding out for the XFL. But, it’s a win for the USFL if they can land him.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 pm
herns wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 am

If what he says about the rules turns out to be true, I think the USFL will miss out on a great opportunity to be different. Also, different rules takes some people’s focus off of trying to point out that alt football players aren’t NFL players, which irritates me. In some ways, I enjoy watching lesser known players working hard, more. The AAF did mostly the NFL rules sans blitzing rules. I felt the XFL games were definitely more exciting. If the XFL brings back most of their rules package, IMO advantage XFL in any head to head competition.

Any of the coaches mentioned so far I would be happy with. I know he’s mentioned but everything I have seen about June Jones suggests maybe he is holding out for the XFL. But, it’s a win for the USFL if they can land him.
Ya the xfl rules were fun, only one I didn’t like was the 3 pt Pat felt gimmicky to me. I’m hoping the “tweaks” to nfl rules are big enough to make it unique. I’m admittedly bias wanting June Jones in the USFL because I’ve heard spurrier and Mumme are basically guaranteed so I want Jones just because those 3 competing against each other would be amazing tv
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Ahhhh I really liked that rule! Probably comes from watching too many NFL games where the extra point after the touchdown was automatic. Closer distance than it is now. I think had the XFL continued, the decision on what to do after the touchdown would have decided more games and made that one play create a lot more of those edge of your seat type moments.

I definitely agree with you on those coaches. All 3 of those names would be awesome in the same league but I just want to see them coach again even if they are in separate leagues. A lot of alt football leagues grab a lot of former/older NFL coaches. While I’m good with them it will be interesting to see if the XFL goes with younger more unknown coaches, especially if the USFL takes many of the available veteran coaches.