Cleveland MLB team takes the Guardians name

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Cleveland MLB team takes the Guardians name

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I guess "Spiders" had too much stigma.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/318 ... -guardians

But seriously: while it's not totally unheard of for two teams in unrelated sports to share a name (Winnipeg vs. New York Jets, Florida vs. Carolina Panthers, and previously Edmonton vs. Houston Oilers), all of the other examples of a pro football team sharing a name with another major sport involved the smallest of the major sports, the NHL... not Major League Baseball. (Edit: I forgot the St. Louis vs. Arizona Cardinals, so I was in error.)

So now as we continue to wait on Garcia, Johnson and Redbird to bring the XFL back, they now have to deal with changing the name of the team in their biggest market. It's another sign that this is looking more and more like a full reboot and that we won't recognize XFL 3.0 if and when it returns.

Maybe they can bring back the Hitmen! :mrgreen:
Last edited by johnnyangryfuzzball on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Cleveland MLB team takes the Guardians name

Post by MGB01 »

Guardians doesn't even sound like a baseball name. Of course you could argue Browns--which was only almost 70 years ago that they ceased to be (the first Browns move to Baltimore) but I guess there's gotta be some straw to grasp at here.

Wonder if WFT takes advantage of the media now apparently dictating Dwayne Johnson's schedule (see not only does he have to do a 180 and be in the next eight F/Fs but he also has to headline Mania against Roman Reigns so sayeth Lord Meltzer) and tries to sneak out Defenders in February.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 pm I guess "Spiders" had too much stigma.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/318 ... -guardians

But seriously: while it's not totally unheard of for two teams in unrelated sports to share a name (Winnipeg vs. New York Jets, Florida vs. Carolina Panthers, and previously Edmonton vs. Houston Oilers), all of the other examples of a pro football team sharing a name with another major sport involved the smallest of the major sports, the NHL... not Major League Baseball. (Edit: I forgot the St. Louis vs. Arizona Cardinals, so I was in error.)

So now as we continue to wait on Garcia, Johnson and Redbird to bring the XFL back, they now have to deal with changing the name of the team in their biggest market. It's another sign that this is looking more and more like a full reboot and that we won't recognize XFL 3.0 if and when it returns.

The name Guardian is pretty obscure for a Sports team to decide on. No way in hell they came up with that without XFL NY Guardians. Its a difficult name to use, XFL pulled it off, Cleveland Indians did not. Now they are stuck with it. I hope the WFT makes a better choice.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

At least someone is getting some good out of that name.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 pm So now as we continue to wait on Garcia, Johnson and Redbird to bring the XFL back, they now have to deal with changing the name of the team in their biggest market. It's another sign that this is looking more and more like a full reboot and that we won't recognize XFL 3.0 if and when it returns.

Not sure they need to change it. The color scheme, theme, etc. is fairly different from each other.

If XFL wanted totally distinct names, they wouldn't have gone with the Wildcats, which is maybe the most popular nickname from a quantity perspective in college sports.