XFL not funding CFL return to play...

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL not funding CFL return to play...

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm Media in one of the CFL's best supported cities aren't too bullish on a CFL 2021 season.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sport ... 51501.html

Ambrosie says the league has "contingency plans in place, should factors beyond our control delay the start of our season beyond August 5."

Um, like what?

The time for audibles has run out. It's time to punt.

Pull the plug — now. Then regroup and return to play in 2022.

The XFL is doing that — and you're planning a merger with them anyways, right?
Can't tell of you are playing devil's advocate or not.

Many CFL org people have stated they need to remain relevant, and want to play. I agree, IMO XFL is making a mistake not.

No one has said officially what they are planning as far as XFL-CFL: Exchange of ideas, partnership, inter-league play or full on merger.

BTW PFT picked up the CFL delay and XFL story...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... l-ongoing/
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:51 am We are starting to see a slow down in the love affair between CFL and D-R-Rk. The fact that RBC was not funding the CFL this season (ie $30mm) tells me they are not all in with CFL idea or that CFL is not all in on XFL. Its been 6 weeks since the 3/10 announcement and supposedly they were in talks well before that... and nothing. If XFL was playing actual games they would be more credible.
We'll know if that's all true if the CFL has found a lifeline (non-XFL related) sometime in the coming weeks, but the way they can really only offer soft "maybes" effectively says it's leaning towards not.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:09 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:51 am We are starting to see a slow down in the love affair between CFL and D-R-Rk. The fact that RBC was not funding the CFL this season (ie $30mm) tells me they are not all in with CFL idea or that CFL is not all in on XFL. Its been 6 weeks since the 3/10 announcement and supposedly they were in talks well before that... and nothing. If XFL was playing actual games they would be more credible.
We'll know if that's all true if the CFL has found a lifeline (non-XFL related) sometime in the coming weeks, but the way they can really only offer soft "maybes" effectively says it's leaning towards not.
We know the CFL owners have the money (at least the majority) - they already passed on RBC funding for 2021.
Its all hurry up and wait, as the media and us speculate.

Here's some more info...

>>Ambrosie’s update emphasizes that the two sides are very much still in talks, but everything points to both leagues hoping to better each other.

“We don’t have those answers today but we do know that we are working with world class people,” Ambrosie said. “Every time you are on a call with them, you are struck by how genuine, authentic, how sincere they are in trying to determine if there is an opportunity to do better, do better together in some form. That’s been the spirit of our discussion so far.”<<
Last edited by 4th&long on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 pm
We know the CFL owners have the money (at least the majority) - they already passed on RBC funding for 2021.
Nobody said they passed on RBC funding. Perhaps RBC didn't offer anything since they know a 2021 season for the CFL is futile and they'll lose just as much, if not more money than taking the full year off. Let the CFL fund their own truncated season while the XFL saves their resources for the merger league of 2022/2023
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 pm

Nobody said they passed on RBC funding. Perhaps RBC didn't offer anything since they know a 2021 season for the CFL is futile and they'll lose just as much, if not more money than taking the full year off. Let the CFL fund their own truncated season while the XFL saves their resources for the merger league of 2022/2023
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/cfl-alo ... um=twitter

>> "If it can't happen, we're going to have a CFL that, we all know, needs some kind of reset and fixing."

Stern is happy with the ‘uniqueness’ of the CFL and doesn’t see a need for change unless it is really worth it. Remember, both sides are only talking at this time.

“Am I happy playing three downs? I love that. I love its uniqueness. It would have to be something great for our league in order to trade that. I’d have to see the whole package — if the package ever happens.”

Stern along with his father-in-law, Sid Spiegel, purchased the Montreal Alouettes back in 2020. <<
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

It does make one wonder if the CFL is struggling to stay relevant by playing a modified 2021 season, while the XFL is focusing on 2022. It may be as previously speculated, that the XFL is holding out for some 2022 CFL/XFL partnership but is unwilling to commit to 2021. As has been mentioned in other posts, it's too late for 2021 anyway at this point for the XFL. I guess the best that we can hope for is that there is some grand plan in place that has yet to be revealed.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:18 pm It does make one wonder if the CFL is struggling to stay relevant by playing a modified 2021 season, while the XFL is focusing on 2022. It may be as previously speculated, that the XFL is holding out for some 2022 CFL/XFL partnership but is unwilling to commit to 2021. As has been mentioned in other posts, it's too late for 2021 anyway at this point for the XFL. I guess the best that we can hope for is that there is some grand plan in place that has yet to be revealed.
Firecop,

You may be getting your years mixed up. XFL has put 2022 on hold until its discussions with CFL are concluded. Mike Mitchell - closest to an XFL insider - doesn't think XFL 2022 season is likely as do other XFL reporters. We shall see.

That means no XFL until 2023, which means they will not be relevant/visible in fans in media eyes for 3 calendar years.

The CFL's play issues are government restriction related to how many fans in stands, not necessarily $$$ SPENT, its a restriction on making $$$ ie revenue. Granted they do not want to play and lose money but once fans can attend that's moot.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 am That means no XFL until 2023, which means they will not be relevant/visible in fans in media eyes for 3 calendar year
But if they're going to make that charge, then they're effectively acknowledging the XFL in fact didn't die during the pandemic and merely restructured (in other words, the goals of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy).

If they're going to insist on "the former", then the XFL can take their time and come back with a bang (and if the CFL is part of exploring all avenues then by all means do so) because they've already died twice.

It's either or.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:23 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 am That means no XFL until 2023, which means they will not be relevant/visible in fans in media eyes for 3 calendar year
But if they're going to make that charge, then they're effectively acknowledging the XFL in fact didn't die during the pandemic and merely restructured (in other words, the goals of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy).

If they're going to insist on "the former", then the XFL can take their time and come back with a bang (and if the CFL is part of exploring all avenues then by all means do so) because they've already died twice.

It's either or.
It's not an arguement on the XFL - its CFL ownership stating they want to remain relevant in their fans eyes - they feel not playing for 2 years would hurt their relevancy to fans, sponsors, TV, media etc... And that's for a league that's played over 60 years.

I totally agree, I think XFL delaying till 2023 and even 2022 has the same impact.

Also I posted when they delayed play till 2021 on 10/1/2020 that why bother buying the XFL if you aren't going to use it timely, just save money and start a new league. A delay till 2023 furthers that point.

I hope they end up with something - perhaps like Tank and I discussed where its just 3 USA teams to start in a combined league. This makes the $ risk to D-R-Rk lower while opening Canada to USA TV rights. I think the CFL is split here where the larger market teams (esp Toronto) are pushing more for 4down USA style vs the smaller 6 wanting to stay 3down.