San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

Post by Tank55 »

I went to the Apollos-Commanders game -- the crowd was hot. And they were really locked in on the game, much more so than the crowd at the XFL game in DC I made it to. That crowd was fun and lively, but it was more of a "beer snake first, football second" vibe.
GregParks wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pmI thought aesthetically it looked good on TV for XFL games, and liked how it looked "different" from other stadiums.
Agreed. They didn't do a great job with the audio, but it looked cool on TV and was a fun, different venue.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm I went to the Apollos-Commanders game -- the crowd was hot. And they were really locked in on the game, much more so than the crowd at the XFL game in DC I made it to. That crowd was fun and lively, but it was more of a "beer snake first, football second" vibe.
GregParks wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pmI thought aesthetically it looked good on TV for XFL games, and liked how it looked "different" from other stadiums.
Agreed. They didn't do a great job with the audio, but it looked cool on TV and was a fun, different venue.
It's fun and different but like any venue it has it's limitations. The football first crowd is more in St Louis and Houston imo
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

“Not a bad name. I would try to see if I can get the trademark for "San Antonio Commanders" though.
[/quote]

Yes 110%!!!!

...I know, 3 Texas teams, logo from a defuct league. But..

Aesthetically it’s perfect. Color scheme would fit right in XFL 2.0. The mascot’s strong, works for the city. The logo’s solid, no changes needed. Got a short successful history. And the fan base, can’t be beat.

I would absolutely circle the date between ”the Commanders vs the Battlehawks”!!!! San Antonio fans will come out show their force!! Out draw St. Louis?

Merchandising would still pull $$$.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GoDogs wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm “Not a bad name. I would try to see if I can get the trademark for "San Antonio Commanders" though.
Yes 110%!!!!

Aesthetically it’s perfect. Color scheme would fit right in XFL 2.0. The mascot’s strong, works for the city. The logo’s solid, no changes needed. Got a short successful history. And the fan base, can’t be beat.

I would absolutely circle the date between ”the Commanders vs the Battlehawks”!!!! San Antonio fans will come out show their force!! Out draw St. Louis?

[/quote]
the fan base would show out regardless of the team name unless it was just horrendous
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:05 am
GoDogs wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm “Not a bad name. I would try to see if I can get the trademark for "San Antonio Commanders" though.
Yes 110%!!!!

the fan base would show out regardless of the team name unless it was just horrendous
[/quote]
Agreed. But “the Commanders” theme would be plug and play. Its redemption for invested fans in the AAF version, to then flex their muscles as the best fan base period. The colors work aesthetically against what we (XFL) already have (vs another black with ...team, no one wants purple...unless your in Minnesota...and it didn’t work in Birmingham in XFL 1.0).

Adding a new franchise with another theme, making it the third in the same state, for the average fan might be too much. But a redemption, validation storyline (and aesthetically) would play better.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GoDogs wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am
Agreed. But “the Commanders” theme would be plug and play. Its redemption for invested fans in the AAF version, to then flex their muscles as the best fan base period. The colors work aesthetically against what we (XFL) already have (vs another black with ...team, no one wants purple...unless your in Minnesota...and it didn’t work in Birmingham in XFL 1.0).

Adding a new franchise with another theme, making it the third in the same state, for the average fan might be too much. But a redemption, validation storyline (and aesthetically) would play better.
The XFL isn't even going to be in the market until at least 2025 and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not until 2027. Why revive a team name from 6 years ago just because it has decent attendance, when it could get you in hot water later?
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:33 pm
GoDogs wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am

The XFL isn't even going to be in the market until at least 2025 and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not until 2027. Why revive a team name from 6 years ago just because it has decent attendance, when it could get you in hot water later?
The revival for the Commanders goes above just the attendance. It’s a nice big market that fits in with the niche of cities that NEED a team to go with St Louis.

I’m in San Antonio and the great attendance (that by the way, wasn’t just decent, but better than every XFL team except Seattle) wasn’t just because the city typically shows out for sports teams but because the city itself made an active attempt to make the team successful. The public transport system made fares cheaper on Gamedays to the Alamodome, merchandise was everywhere, HEB, put on display in Walmart’s, billboards and it resulted in a great team with great attendance.

Why shouldn’t one of the markets that struggled in attendance like Dallas relocate? Sure that market is nice for TV but a gate driven league is going to make a profit faster if it’s pulling 27k a week in attendance rather than 17, not to forget that San Antonio is technically a bigger city than Dallas which bodes well for a gate driven league and San Antonio statistically supports his sports teams just like Dallas or Houston does, it’s worth thinking about by the league, just like how the Rock is probably considering Oakland and San Diego after St Louis proved to be a gigantic success.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Well, it didn't outperform St. Louis either. But the Commanders were rocking. I was at the Apollos game; very, very impressive.

I think your mistake is to think of this as "a gate driven league." That's not how the XFL thinks of itself.

That's not to say San Antonio can't be a fit, especially if this turns into a spring/summer league. But it's why it would be a Plan B behind Houston and Dallas.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Oh speaking of I just had St. Louis/San Antonio at the Alamodome in my XFL sim yesterday, I don't do attendance figures but 25-30K is easily achievable, and the way my league is structured (the QB matchup was Brian Hoyer vs Jalen Hurts, so yeah there's a bit of upscaling) probably 40K at least
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am Well, it didn't outperform St. Louis either. But the Commanders were rocking. I was at the Apollos game; very, very impressive.

I think your mistake is to think of this as "a gate driven league." That's not how the XFL thinks of itself.

That's not to say San Antonio can't be a fit, especially if this turns into a spring/summer league. But it's why it would be a Plan B behind Houston and Dallas.
Yeah you're right, the XFL doesn't see itself as a gate driven league and that's how it should be, especially because then it just limits itself but my point still stands. San Antonio as a market is most definitely the go to for any possible relocation, especially for markets that didn't perform particularly good with fans.