XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Hampton Roads, VA/NC- XFL Expansion/Relocation City Discussion Bonanza

Post by GDAWG »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:46 am

There's not a college in the country that isn't looking for new revenue sources. If the XFL calls, ODU is definitely listening.
To me the major issue of having a pro football team playing in a college stadium is aesthetics. Not every college is open to allowing a pro football team to use that team's logos and word markings on their field. The University of Houston did allow for it, but not every university is going to want to do the same. By allowing the Roughnecks and XFL logos and word markings on the field at TDECU Stadium, it makes the XFL a legit league. In comparison, it made the AAF look amateurish when the Salt Lake Stallions played their home games in a college stadium and the word markings and logos were all University of Utah. ODU may not be as accommodating as Houston, but if they are willing to do the same (allowing Virginia XFL to use their logos and word markings on the field) then they should be under consideration.

The preference is if the XFL were to return (and that's not guaranteed) and they expanded and they wanted to use college stadiums, it should be more like TDECU Stadium in the XFL instead of Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City in the AAF.

I do think expansion talk is premature though seeing as the XFL needs to get through at least year 3 before they consider expansion. If the XFL returns next year with the 8 teams they had last year (with some teams moving to smaller venues) they should keep it as the same 8 teams until at least 2025 or 2026. Then consider expansion. Expanding right after year one I think would doom the league.
Okay this problem has officially been settled. The Battlehawks used the same surface in St Louis and had no problem customizing it. I'm pretty confident it's the same surface the Rams played on, as it has been in use since 2010 and was even used after the Rams left for a charity football game with the same field look in the end zones. The XFL should be perfectly fine to customize the field in Virginia if need be, the end zones in st louis were yellow on the inside with a blue border. If the logos are permanently stitched then the XFL can drop the funds if they must but who's to say whether that is the case or not. Would be strange imo for that to not be a problem with rams turf but suddenly be a problem with ODU
I am not saying it would be a problem for ODU. All I am saying is that we don't want another situation like the Salt Lake Stallions of the AAF in which the logos and word markings of the Stallions were nowhere on the field and instead it's University of Utah. What Houston did makes the XFL look more credible by allowing their own logos and word markings on the field instead of the university that hosts them.

But all this talk is moot anyways. Expansion should not be happening until at least 3 full seasons completed.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 pmAnd this is why I said you call the team the Virginia Anchors not the Norfolk Anchors.
"Anchors" would be a perfect name, as it also works as an allusion to how such a poorly located team would weigh the league down.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:43 pm
Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 pmAnd this is why I said you call the team the Virginia Anchors not the Norfolk Anchors.
"Anchors" would be a perfect name, as it also works as an allusion to how such a poorly located team would weigh the league down.
Okay then, you can also talk about how the vipers are poisoning the league or how or how the wildcats are too tame or how the defenders let their guard down and failed the league or whatever. This is silly. Major leagues aren't weighed down by smaller markets if they have strong fanbases and neither will the XFL. It's really more about whether that's something you can build there in the first place.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm

To me the major issue of having a pro football team playing in a college stadium is aesthetics. Not every college is open to allowing a pro football team to use that team's logos and word markings on their field. The University of Houston did allow for it, but not every university is going to want to do the same. By allowing the Roughnecks and XFL logos and word markings on the field at TDECU Stadium, it makes the XFL a legit league. In comparison, it made the AAF look amateurish when the Salt Lake Stallions played their home games in a college stadium and the word markings and logos were all University of Utah. ODU may not be as accommodating as Houston, but if they are willing to do the same (allowing Virginia XFL to use their logos and word markings on the field) then they should be under consideration.

The preference is if the XFL were to return (and that's not guaranteed) and they expanded and they wanted to use college stadiums, it should be more like TDECU Stadium in the XFL instead of Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City in the AAF.

I do think expansion talk is premature though seeing as the XFL needs to get through at least year 3 before they consider expansion. If the XFL returns next year with the 8 teams they had last year (with some teams moving to smaller venues) they should keep it as the same 8 teams until at least 2025 or 2026. Then consider expansion. Expanding right after year one I think would doom the league.
Okay this problem has officially been settled. The Battlehawks used the same surface in St Louis and had no problem customizing it. I'm pretty confident it's the same surface the Rams played on, as it has been in use since 2010 and was even used after the Rams left for a charity football game with the same field look in the end zones. The XFL should be perfectly fine to customize the field in Virginia if need be, the end zones in st louis were yellow on the inside with a blue border. If the logos are permanently stitched then the XFL can drop the funds if they must but who's to say whether that is the case or not. Would be strange imo for that to not be a problem with rams turf but suddenly be a problem with ODU
I am not saying it would be a problem for ODU. All I am saying is that we don't want another situation like the Salt Lake Stallions of the AAF in which the logos and word markings of the Stallions were nowhere on the field and instead it's University of Utah. What Houston did makes the XFL look more credible by allowing their own logos and word markings on the field instead of the university that hosts them.

But all this talk is moot anyways. Expansion should not be happening until at least 3 full seasons completed.
Well yeah, this doc is for 5-10 years down the line
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 pmhow the defenders let their guard down and failed the league
How dare you.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 pm
Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 pmhow the defenders let their guard down and failed the league
How dare you.
that's what you get for being rude
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

LOL. I apologize, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I appreciate the topic; thank you for starting the thread. We'll have to agree to disagree on what qualifies a market for consideration.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:38 pm LOL. I apologize, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I appreciate the topic; thank you for starting the thread. We'll have to agree to disagree on what qualifies a market for consideration.
for the sake of the record to close: here are all the big 5 teams in smaller TV markets(not population since that's your point, which tv markets have different zones but whatever) than hampton roads: Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Pelicans, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Green Bay Packers, Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators. Not to mention all the CFL teams in smaller canadian markets that still do fine
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 pm

3-5 is a much quicker timeline than 5-10. However do expansion slowly after the third year. Add 2 teams for year 4 and two more for year 5 but then put a moratorium on it for a few years, two at the most. Expand again for year 8 to get up to 14 teams. That's how I would do it anyways. I'd cap it at 16 teams with the final expansion teams for year 10 or if you want to wait a bit longer, year 12.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:07 pm
Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 pm

3-5 is a much quicker timeline than 5-10. However do expansion slowly after the third year. Add 2 teams for year 4 and two more for year 5 but then put a moratorium on it for a few years, two at the most. Expand again for year 8 to get up to 14 teams. That's how I would do it anyways. I'd cap it at 16 teams with the final expansion teams for year 10 or if you want to wait a bit longer, year 12.
3 seasons of the default 8 with potential relocations to San Diego from LA in '23 and Tampa to Orlando at some point..then announce expansion teams incoming 2 years later. Last thing the XFL should do is rush expansion teams out too early