XFL Football discussion.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Re: Hampton Roads, VA/NC- XFL Expansion/Relocation City Discussion Bonanza

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:38 am
Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:36 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 am

The saga of how Miami got their new stadium is epic. They haven't even broken ground yet.
On the miami stadium they haven't even agreed to a plan yet. As for Fort Lauderdale obviously that stadium already exists and is completely done
The prevailing feeling is that that will be Inter Miami's Stadium for at least 5 years, maybe longer.
I'm sure the XFL can hold on while they sort it out
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Rangersking669 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:22 pmThat's assuming the league can't get 30,000 in norfolk(and also, the team is going to have a wider reach than just virginia, we've already seen plenty of people watch the league from out of market). If the NFL can get a team in Jacksonville to work then the XFL can set up a team in Virginia. I'm not saying it's my first choice but it's an intriguing option
It doesn't assume anything -- the 20K is just an example. The point is that X attendance in a big market is better than the same attendance in a smaller market.

People will watch out of town, but you'll have a better chance of capturing out of towners if there's a "brand name" market playing. In general, people who have never been to either city are more likely to have stronger feelings about New York than they are Norfolk. Maybe they love the Yankees or their father went to Columbia or they hate de Blasio because of what they read in the news. Obviously this won't be true of every person, but on the whole, major markets deliver a brand recognition even to people outside the market that smaller markets cannot.

There's also the association issue, where New York vs. Los Angeles feels like a major league game and Omaha vs. Norfolk feels like a Triple A game.

Finally, what works for the NFL (and I think it is very debatable that Jacksonville is working) isn't terribly relevant to the XFL. They're playing a totally different game.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 pmNot every college is going to say yes though.
There's not a college in the country that isn't looking for new revenue sources. If the XFL calls, ODU is definitely listening.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:50 am I'm sure the XFL can hold on while they sort it out
The XFL is definitely not in a position to be sitting around for five years in a lousy stadium waiting for an appropriate stadium to be built. When a suitable stadium exists, the market can be considered for an expansion/relocated team. Until it does, they have to look elsewhere.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:46 am
GDAWG wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 pmNot every college is going to say yes though.
There's not a college in the country that isn't looking for new revenue sources. If the XFL calls, ODU is definitely listening.
To me the major issue of having a pro football team playing in a college stadium is aesthetics. Not every college is open to allowing a pro football team to use that team's logos and word markings on their field. The University of Houston did allow for it, but not every university is going to want to do the same. By allowing the Roughnecks and XFL logos and word markings on the field at TDECU Stadium, it makes the XFL a legit league. In comparison, it made the AAF look amateurish when the Salt Lake Stallions played their home games in a college stadium and the word markings and logos were all University of Utah. ODU may not be as accommodating as Houston, but if they are willing to do the same (allowing Virginia XFL to use their logos and word markings on the field) then they should be under consideration.

The preference is if the XFL were to return (and that's not guaranteed) and they expanded and they wanted to use college stadiums, it should be more like TDECU Stadium in the XFL instead of Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City in the AAF.

I do think expansion talk is premature though seeing as the XFL needs to get through at least year 3 before they consider expansion. If the XFL returns next year with the 8 teams they had last year (with some teams moving to smaller venues) they should keep it as the same 8 teams until at least 2025 or 2026. Then consider expansion. Expanding right after year one I think would doom the league.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:48 am
Rangersking669 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:50 am I'm sure the XFL can hold on while they sort it out
The XFL is definitely not in a position to be sitting around for five years in a lousy stadium waiting for an appropriate stadium to be built. When a suitable stadium exists, the market can be considered for an expansion/relocated team. Until it does, they have to look elsewhere.
The XFL is not going to go to Miami until at least five years from now anyway though is my point, and also, fort lauderdale *is* a suitable stadium
Last edited by Rangersking669 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:44 am
Rangersking669 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:22 pmThat's assuming the league can't get 30,000 in norfolk(and also, the team is going to have a wider reach than just virginia, we've already seen plenty of people watch the league from out of market). If the NFL can get a team in Jacksonville to work then the XFL can set up a team in Virginia. I'm not saying it's my first choice but it's an intriguing option
It doesn't assume anything -- the 20K is just an example. The point is that X attendance in a big market is better than the same attendance in a smaller market.

People will watch out of town, but you'll have a better chance of capturing out of towners if there's a "brand name" market playing. In general, people who have never been to either city are more likely to have stronger feelings about New York than they are Norfolk. Maybe they love the Yankees or their father went to Columbia or they hate de Blasio because of what they read in the news. Obviously this won't be true of every person, but on the whole, major markets deliver a brand recognition even to people outside the market that smaller markets cannot.

There's also the association issue, where New York vs. Los Angeles feels like a major league game and Omaha vs. Norfolk feels like a Triple A game.

Finally, what works for the NFL (and I think it is very debatable that Jacksonville is working) isn't terribly relevant to the XFL. They're playing a totally different game.
And this is why I said you call the team the Virginia Anchors not the Norfolk Anchors. Please don't be dense here for no reason. And we can play this game with other NFL markets. Buffalo and New Orleans are both smaller TV markets than Hampton Roads and yet they are both quite successful. I'm intentionally leaving Green Bay out of this.
Last edited by Rangersking669 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm
To me the major issue of having a pro football team playing in a college stadium is aesthetics. Not every college is open to allowing a pro football team to use that team's logos and word markings on their field. The University of Houston did allow for it, but not every university is going to want to do the same. By allowing the Roughnecks and XFL logos and word markings on the field at TDECU Stadium, it makes the XFL a legit league. In comparison, it made the AAF look amateurish when the Salt Lake Stallions played their home games in a college stadium and the word markings and logos were all University of Utah. ODU may not be as accommodating as Houston, but if they are willing to do the same (allowing Virginia XFL to use their logos and word markings on the field) then they should be under consideration.

The preference is if the XFL were to return (and that's not guaranteed) and they expanded and they wanted to use college stadiums, it should be more like TDECU Stadium in the XFL instead of Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City in the AAF.

I do think expansion talk is premature though seeing as the XFL needs to get through at least year 3 before they consider expansion. If the XFL returns next year with the 8 teams they had last year (with some teams moving to smaller venues) they should keep it as the same 8 teams until at least 2025 or 2026. Then consider expansion. Expanding right after year one I think would doom the league.
The AAF could have gotten around the issue in Utah if they just paid for new turf, except they probably didn't have the funds. The XFL can just pay for new turf too as they already have. No college is gonna turn down getting facility upgrades at half price. And yeah like I said, these expansion markets are for 5-10 years from launch. The AAF played at plenty other college fields and the issue only came up at one of them. They made it work in Orlando and Birmingham and Atlanta, all of which were college specific stadiums at the time. Comparing one worst case scenario with a league that didn't have the resources to any scenario with a well funded league just doesn't make sense
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Okay this problem has officially been settled. The Battlehawks used the same surface in St Louis and had no problem customizing it. I'm pretty confident it's the same surface the Rams played on, as it has been in use since 2010 and was even used after the Rams left for a charity football game with the same field look in the end zones. The XFL should be perfectly fine to customize the field in Virginia if need be, the end zones in st louis were yellow on the inside with a blue border. If the logos are permanently stitched then the XFL can drop the funds if they must but who's to say whether that is the case or not. Would be strange imo for that to not be a problem with rams turf but suddenly be a problem with ODU
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Expansion talk is premature at this point. We need to wait at least 3 full seasons of XFL football before even considering expanding. There's always a chance that this XFL will last 1-2 years or mot even kick off at all. It's too soon to discuss expansion.