When to kickoff?

XFL Football discussion.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

When to kickoff?

Post by FootballYoda »

When the XFL comes back in 2022 when will they kickoff? Will it be the weekend after Super Bowl or will they wait until later in the spring after March madness?
Joker
Quarterback

Re: When to kickoff?

Post by Joker »

Winter Olympics starts in February 2022. Not sure if that matters though.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

FootballYoda wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:20 am When the XFL comes back in 2022 when will they kickoff? Will it be the weekend after Super Bowl or will they wait until later in the spring after March madness?
If the NFL adds a 17th game, that will push the league back a week as well (unless they start a week earlier).
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I bet the XFL starts the week after the Super Bowl again. I do think there's an argument to be made for trying to overlap the season a bit with the NFL -- run games on the Saturday of NFL's Conference Championship Sunday, both days of the bye week before the Super Bowl, and then on the Saturday before and maybe even the early window on Super Bowl Sunday. That would let you get your product in front of football fans while they're still in "football" mode.

Just an idea. Comes with a host of issues. Obviously makes things even harder on the cold weather cities. Weeks 9 and 10 would run up against the opening of March Madness, and the playoffs would run against MLB's opening weekend. Most importantly, I'm not sure if that would be more valuable from a broadcast value perspective. But interesting to think about.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:37 am I bet the XFL starts the week after the Super Bowl again. I do think there's an argument to be made for trying to overlap the season a bit with the NFL -- run games on the Saturday of NFL's Conference Championship Sunday, both days of the bye week before the Super Bowl, and then on the Saturday before and maybe even the early window on Super Bowl Sunday. That would let you get your product in front of football fans while they're still in "football" mode.

Just an idea. Comes with a host of issues. Obviously makes things even harder on the cold weather cities. Weeks 9 and 10 would run up against the opening of March Madness, and the playoffs would run against MLB's opening weekend. Most importantly, I'm not sure if that would be more valuable from a broadcast value perspective. But interesting to think about.
Scheduling might be a bit tricky if the XFL continues to share stadiums with NFL teams - they wouldn't be able to schedule home games early in the year if you're overlapping with the NFL, even if it's just for the first week.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Very true. Obviously it wouldn't be an issue for the Guardians, but the Dragons and Vipers would need to be on the road Week 1.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

I think they need to go the week after Super Bowl. But, networks will decide the start date more than anything.