CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm Even if that were the goal, that wouldn't explain the strategy. How does sending Canadians to play semipro in Mexico help the CFL?
I would guess it's for them to gain experience playing professionally?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm Even if that were the goal, that wouldn't explain the strategy. How does sending Canadians to play semipro in Mexico help the CFL?
I thought it was the other way around, the semi-pro guys were coming up north.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Maybe it's both, because that does ring a bell. But that article I linked is describing Canadian players' experiences in Mexico:
The Liga de Fútbol Americano Profesional (LFA) is a semi-professional football association in Mexico. Earlier this year, 24 Canadian players suited up for the league’s eight teams as part of the CFL’s global initiative.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

This is cool: the Saskatchewan Roughriders' field has been flooded and turned into a huge ice skating rink:

https://3downnation.com/2020/12/28/icev ... -ice-rink/
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Phillip Nelson has signed with the Montreal Alouettes.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

WR Daniel Braverman, who was with the Battlehawks has signed with Toronto:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/01/04/arg ... -receivers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Taylor Cornelius, formerly of the Tampa Bay Vipers, has signed with Edmonton:

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/edmo ... arterback/
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:19 pm Maybe it's both, because that does ring a bell. But that article I linked is describing Canadian players' experiences in Mexico:
The Liga de Fútbol Americano Profesional (LFA) is a semi-professional football association in Mexico. Earlier this year, 24 Canadian players suited up for the league’s eight teams as part of the CFL’s global initiative.
Mexico was the first global agreement the CFL had. CFL drafted three Mexicans per team. Part of the agreement was to send Canadians to Mexico as well. I'm not sure of the exact strategy, but sending decent players there will help improve the Mexican league, and therefore the Mexican players that eventually come up north would be better too.

CFL's global initiative, known as CFL 2.0, is underrated. I'm baffled people dislike it. TSN pays roughly $45-$50 million per year for tv rights. No other network is going to pay that, at least not until the NHL rights go back up to bid. And where is the next money going to come from? You're not getting money out of American networks. You're not getting any more gate revenue.

They are looking to sign paying tv deals in foreign countries. To help boost local interest, they are having foreign players on teams. I think it is 3 per team this year, including one dressed per game.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I get that a paying TV deal in Mexico would be muy bueno. Does it seem like that's going to come to fruition?
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

They have a TV deal there but I doubt they get paid.

Before the pandemic, there was to be a regular season game there.

I also once read that the Mexican college teams are better than the semi pro teams. The thinking is better players will stick with it if there is a chance at playing in the CFL.