CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 am
Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 am
Insider Talk is a weekly collection of anonymous quotes from people in and around the CFL. It’s a combination of news, insight, gossip, and fun.
I have two (American) clients who are pending CFL free agents. Both have decent (non-football) jobs right now and I’m encouraging both to keep them instead of going back to Canada. With what (CFL) teams are paying right now, we’ll wait for the XFL (in the spring of 2022).
https://3downnation.com/2020/12/30/insi ... s-the-xfl/
If you want a FB career, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
1) XFL may not happen
2) if XFL happens.... no one knows the pay structure
3) not playing FB for over a year isn't going to attract much attention

Gotta love people, whether they be agents or fans, that assume that the CFL is like the NFL, just a few days away from finalizing another monster TV contract, thus can withstand the financial hit from the pandemic. Hell in the same piece it was mentioned William Powell, 1000-yard rusher, taking a 30% pay cut. That's not being cheap, that's reality. There's still the possibility of the CFL not even playing in '21. But just like all the "economies can be rebuilt" pushers, said by nobody who's ever actually run one.

Now the book I have was published around the same time the CFL left CBC and went exclusively TSN, I'm not sure how much of an impact that had cause the CFL's always been gate-driven, but I'm sure there might be some second thoughts (which is why despite the speculation about the NFL going exclusively cable/streaming and ditching the nets it'll never happen).

I think there is some concern about the league not playing, thus the chest-puffing (after all, the XFL had the same with Corey Vereen, so it hardly would be Xanadu--not even discussing what it returns as/if so). We just had that conversation (sort of) with MBT. No one's made it public.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 am
If you want a FB career, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
1) XFL may not happen
2) if XFL happens.... no one knows the pay structure
3) not playing FB for over a year isn't going to attract much attention

Gotta love people, whether they be agents or fans, that assume that the CFL is like the NFL, just a few days away from finalizing another monster TV contract, thus can withstand the financial hit from the pandemic. Hell in the same piece it was mentioned William Powell, 1000-yard rusher, taking a 30% pay cut. That's not being cheap, that's reality. There's still the possibility of the CFL not even playing in '21. But just like all the "economies can be rebuilt" pushers, said by nobody who's ever actually run one.

Now the book I have was published around the same time the CFL left CBC and went exclusively TSN, I'm not sure how much of an impact that had cause the CFL's always been gate-driven, but I'm sure there might be some second thoughts (which is why despite the speculation about the NFL going exclusively cable/streaming and ditching the nets it'll never happen).

I think there is some concern about the league not playing, thus the chest-puffing (after all, the XFL had the same with Corey Vereen, so it hardly would be Xanadu--not even discussing what it returns as/if so). We just had that conversation (sort of) with MBT. No one's made it public.
Way off MGB. Just stating the facts. CFL is at the mercy of Trudont and that's their biz. But no one said CFL was NFL salary level. I will say it pays better than flipping burgers.

As far as my points 2, 3 extremely valid.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Wasn't addressing you, was addressing the "CFL is too cheap/they're not coming back for what they're paying" crowd in the article/thread (there's no money). And I concurred with the same points you did with the XFL so I'm not sure what's 'way off' here.

Yes, the reality is that the CFL could ironically die at the hands of JFC decades after his dad saved it.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

An article about the experiences of players playing semi-pro in Mexico as part of the CFL global initiative:

https://3downnation.com/2020/10/14/drug ... e-lfa/amp/

It's long, but the bottom line is that it really was semipro.

I don't really get the vision behind the global stuff. Seems completely backwards to me, where I'd be pushing hard for aligning the CFL season opposite the NFL calendar and trying to increase the value of the broadcast rights in the US.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Former Vipers DB Robert Priester signs with Edmonton:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7548794/edmo ... nings-cfl/
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm Gotta love people, whether they be agents or fans, that assume that the CFL is like the NFL, just a few days away from finalizing another monster TV contract, thus can withstand the financial hit from the pandemic. Hell in the same piece it was mentioned William Powell, 1000-yard rusher, taking a 30% pay cut. That's not being cheap, that's reality. There's still the possibility of the CFL not even playing in '21. But just like all the "economies can be rebuilt" pushers, said by nobody who's ever actually run one.

You'd think they might have second thoughts over the TSN deal, but unfortunately, they keep renewing it for more and more years, long before it is ever put back up for bids. It's clear that Ambrosie is perfectly satisfied with not having any over-the-air presence.

It's sad. I got into the CFL because I was able to pick up the CBC affiliate out of Toronto on my little black-and-white TV as a high schooler... I could pick up the Tiger-Cats games on CHML on my portable radio.

Now, you have the CFL only on cable—which means the broadcasts don't cross the Canadian border unless you spend even more money with that ESPN+ package—and the radio broadcasts moved to TSN's CKOC, which points its signal away from the U.S.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:32 am An article about the experiences of players playing semi-pro in Mexico as part of the CFL global initiative:

I don't really get the vision behind the global stuff. Seems completely backwards to me, where I'd be pushing hard for aligning the CFL season opposite the NFL calendar and trying to increase the value of the broadcast rights in the US.

Si !
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:53 pm Wasn't addressing you, was addressing the "CFL is too cheap/they're not coming back for what they're paying" crowd in the article/thread (there's no money). And I concurred with the same points you did with the XFL so I'm not sure what's 'way off' here.

Yes, the reality is that the CFL could ironically die at the hands of JFC decades after his dad saved it.

Oh .... ummm never mind :D

I'm not a huge CFL guy (its not USA based and its 3down/big field etc rules) but I do watch looking for a FB fix, and It is totally legit high level FB. I hope it rebound. if it needs a cost reduction, so be it.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:32 am An article about the experiences of players playing semi-pro in Mexico as part of the CFL global initiative:

The vision is that CFL Commissioner Randy Ambroise with the global stuff is simple: to be bigger globally than the NFL. He may not say it publicly, but I believe that's his end game with this stuff.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Even if that were the goal, that wouldn't explain the strategy. How does sending Canadians to play semipro in Mexico help the CFL?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion