June Jones to return to XFL in 2022...maybe

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

June Jones to return to XFL in 2022...maybe

Post by GregParks »

There was a few minutes of XFL news this afternoon before things went back to the status quo.

Both XFL Newsroom and XFL News Hub ran with quotes from former Roughnecks coach June Jones seemingly confirming in a CBS Radio interview that he would be returning to the XFL in 2022. Among his quotes:

“They did everything right. Everything from the drafting to development of the teams, the players. I’m kinda really excited because The Rock has bought the league, and we’re gonna kinda wait through this pandemic stuff and go again in 2022.”

“And I’m gonna be honest with ya, it’s gonna work.”

Minutes after the reports were posted, Jones himself clarified on Twitter:

"My statement means if the XFL happens and if I am offered a job ....I would love to be back..."

So either Jones got a little excited in the interview and got ahead of the process, or he clarified because he didn't want to publicly spoil anything (we saw with XFL 2020 that sometimes personnel got ahead of the league in making things public). Or, the sites misconstrued what he said (I have not heard the interview).

So in the end, we learned nothing new, as Jones had already mentioned his interest in a second go-round with the league. Given his 5-0 record at the time of the closure, I'm not sure any reason the new owners wouldn't want him back.

EDIT: Since I mentioned the stories, here are the links:
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/roughne ... l-in-2022/
https://xflnewsroom.com/news/june-jones ... n-the-xfl/
and
https://xflnewsroom.com/news/june-jones ... -if-asked/
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: June Jones to return to XFL in 2022...maybe

Post by MarkNelson »

The reporting on June Jones’ innocent comments was typical amateur journalism. It makes all fan sites look bad. That’s ALL I will say on that point.

Ironic how it has been Jones to leak many bits of news over his history with the XFL. I guess it’s because he does a lot of interviews? But this one is still different, as he didn’t leak anything, and there wasn’t really any news to leak. 😊

Here’s some real news for XFL fans: Have a Merry Christmas!
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:02 pm There was a few minutes of XFL news this afternoon before things went back to the status quo.

Both XFL Newsroom and XFL News Hub ran with quotes from former Roughnecks coach June Jones seemingly confirming in a CBS Radio interview that he would be returning to the XFL in 2022. Among his quotes:

“They did everything right. Everything from the drafting to development of the teams, the players. I’m kinda really excited because The Rock has bought the league, and we’re gonna kinda wait through this pandemic stuff and go again in 2022.”

“And I’m gonna be honest with ya, it’s gonna work.”

Minutes after the reports were posted, Jones himself clarified on Twitter:

"My statement means if the XFL happens and if I am offered a job ....I would love to be back..."

So either Jones got a little excited in the interview and got ahead of the process, or he clarified because he didn't want to publicly spoil anything (we saw with XFL 2020 that sometimes personnel got ahead of the league in making things public). Or, the sites misconstrued what he said (I have not heard the interview).

So in the end, we learned nothing new, as Jones had already mentioned his interest in a second go-round with the league. Given his 5-0 record at the time of the closure, I'm not sure any reason the new owners wouldn't want him back.

EDIT: Since I mentioned the stories, here are the links:
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/roughne ... l-in-2022/
https://xflnewsroom.com/news/june-jones ... n-the-xfl/
and
https://xflnewsroom.com/news/june-jones ... -if-asked/
I just hope XFL 3.0 Sh#t or get off the pot ASAP. Because they could be cock blocking another legit attempt. The XFL's numbers and even AAF's limited success speaks for itself.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I have to agree with 4th&Long in the idea that long periods of silence from the ownership group, punctuated with an occasional Rah Rah video is not helping things. While I understand that they may be working diligently behind the scenes and keeping things close to the vest, what they are not doing is promoting fan engagement. Wasn't that one of their expressed primary tenants? They are missing the proverbial boat by not communicating with their hard core fans, even if it is just surveys, reactions and feelings about how 2.0 went and how 3.0 could be better. They say silence is golden but in this case it could be deadly. Naysayers may say, there's nothing to report but there are always tidbits that could be released. "Talk to me Goose! "
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I agree with you on the fact that league’s relative silence being damaging to its brand. But, their goal is to not hire anyone until later in 2021, and that is clearly based on a financial plan. I get that. I don’t like it, but I get it.

June Jones, other coaches, and hundreds of players just want this league to return. So, it’s not just the fans and followers that are anxious. The league could make dozens of announcements right now, but the only announcement that would appease them is an impending hiring plan.

Personally, I wish the league could do more right now. But waiting seems to be the plan.

Maybe optimism is the best way to go. Optimistic that vaccines will work, fans will return to stadiums next summer, and, most importantly, the XFL ownership will allocate the necessary funds to put this league back into operation.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I think everybody on this board would LOVE more news coming out from the league. There's no doubt about that. I just disagree on the level of damage being done by NOT releasing a steady stream of info 14 months away from kickoff.

We had this same debate when XFL 2.0 relaunched, only they had a full two years lead time. Lots of time went by when the news landscape was barren, and that didn't seem to have any affect on the viewership once it ultimately kicked off.

The hardcores, like us who post on this board, are probably the ones to be least affected by the lack of news - if we're this deep into our interest of the product, we're likely going to watch anyway. And it really doesn't matter to the casual fan 14 months out who the XFL hires as their executive vice president of yada yada yada. I'm confident that once there is actual news to report that would be of interest to the wider audience, like coaching hires and decisions to bring back franchises, that news will be released. I guess when the league "should" decide on those things is what's really up for debate.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:32 pm I think everybody on this board would LOVE more news coming out from the league. There's no doubt about that. I just disagree on the level of damage being done by NOT releasing a steady stream of info 14 months away from kickoff.

We had this same debate when XFL 2.0 relaunched, only they had a full two years lead time. Lots of time went by when the news landscape was barren, and that didn't seem to have any affect on the viewership once it ultimately kicked off.

The hardcores, like us who post on this board, are probably the ones to be least affected by the lack of news - if we're this deep into our interest of the product, we're likely going to watch anyway. And it really doesn't matter to the casual fan 14 months out who the XFL hires as their executive vice president of yada yada yada. I'm confident that once there is actual news to report that would be of interest to the wider audience, like coaching hires and decisions to bring back franchises, that news will be released. I guess when the league "should" decide on those things is what's really up for debate.
My point was that if the XFL is nothing more than a paper tiger... i prefer they call it a day earlier than later... because based on XFL 2.0 performance and to a lesser extent AAF's, someone else will be looking to launch a league.

Yes DG has stated that no hiring until June 2021, so with that in place they are just buying time to get a paying TV deal. In the absence of one XFL 3.0 is just another league looking for funding. I hope they can make it happen, bail early or sell.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:32 pm I think everybody on this board would LOVE more news coming out from the league. There's no doubt about that. I just disagree on the level of damage being done by NOT releasing a steady stream of info 14 months away from kickoff.

My point was that if the XFL is nothing more than a paper tiger... i prefer they call it a day earlier than later... because based on XFL 2.0 performance and to a lesser extent AAF's, someone else will be looking to launch a league.

Yes DG has stated that no hiring until June 2021, so with that in place they are just buying time to get a paying TV deal. In the absence of one XFL 3.0 is just another league looking for funding. I hope they can make it happen, bail early or sell.
There are other outdoor spring leagues like the Freedom Football League, American Patriot League and Major League Football who plan to start up regardless of the actions of the XFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:55 pm

There are other outdoor spring leagues like the Freedom Football League, American Patriot League and Major League Football who plan to start up regardless of the actions of the XFL.

Except MLF (uh huh huh huh huh) has already burned out. They were supposed to be a thing a few years ago--had a draft, a minor TV deal, badly photoshopped Dick Vitale and Duke Riley "endorsements", etc...........But here's the thing: no local leases/infrastructure/even awareness, and ultimately it all came down cause they lost $20 million in funding. If Luck said 150 mil would get the XFL to the 20, well what is 20 mil then, out of your own endzone?

Put them down as a hard L
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:35 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:55 pm

Except MLF (uh huh huh huh huh) has already burned out. They were supposed to be a thing a few years ago--had a draft, a minor TV deal, badly photoshopped Dick Vitale and Duke Riley "endorsements", etc...........But here's the thing: no local leases/infrastructure/even awareness, and ultimately it all came down cause they lost $20 million in funding. If Luck said 150 mil would get the XFL to the 20, well what is 20 mil then, out of your own endzone?

Put them down as a hard L
There was an update on MLF two months ago:

https://pigskinnut.com/xfl-decision-to- ... -the-mlfb/