TSL Game Thread: Tuesday, Oct. 27 Conquerors vs. Generals 8:00 PM EDT

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: TSL Game Thread: Tuesday, Oct. 27 Conquerors vs. Generals 8:00 PM EDT

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:15 pm Generals QB Bryan Scott impressive 23/29 for 272 yards 2 TD and 1 INT so far. Pretty solid game,
exactly - does he start the rest of yr?
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: FS1: TSL Game Thread: Tuesday, Oct. 27 Conquerors vs. Generals 8:00 PM EDT

Post by MarkNelson »

4th&long wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 pm Thumbs up to FS1 coverage and TV prod values in this game. Lighting at stadium is excellent.

I hate to say this but could this be the Fall dev league that NFL really wants. Its low cost. It can play Tuesdays Wednesdays. It keeps players in FB shape when they need them. I could see NFLN and FS1 or others SNs jumping on that.

Brian Woods is breaking out the champagne tonight. His mind is thinking how can I morph this into 2 leagues one spring one Fall. The Wheels are a churning for sure.

XFL and DG are thinking can we cut salaries 60% and can they compete with this? :shock:
I agree with your take on the quality of this game. Consider The Spring League’s coming out party as a huge success.

I really like how developmental league football could work as a mid-week bridge between NFL weekends. This idea might have legs, especially now that it is on Fox.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 pm Thumbs up to FS1 coverage and TV prod values in this game. Lighting at stadium is excellent.

I hate to say this but could this be the Fall dev league that NFL really wants. Its low cost. It can play Tuesdays Wednesdays. It keeps players in FB shape when they need them. I could see NFLN and FS1 or others SNs jumping on that.

Brian Woods is breaking out the champagne tonight. His mind is thinking how can I morph this into 2 leagues one spring one Fall. The Wheels are a churning for sure.

XFL and DG are thinking can we cut salaries 60% and can they compete with this? :shock:
I agree with your take on the quality of this game. Consider The Spring League’s coming out party as a huge success.

I really like how developmental league football could work as a mid-week bridge between NFL weekends. This idea might have legs, especially now that it is on Fox.
Yes - and recall that Brian Woods (TSL owner/CEO) wanted the FXFL to be an NFL sponsored in (fall) season Dev league. He may have just nailed it here.

One other thing. He learned (or just got it from day 1) what I've alluded to - start small and low cost and build it up. You may earn more respect and $$$ growing from small to large than starting large (especially with little funding). AAF is perfect example. They simply should have designed / structured the league and season to match funding.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Poor AAF thought it was more important to get out in front of the XFL. The money required was a killer. That amount of money is still a killer, and may stifle the XFL. Something you’ve already pointed out.

Dany wants TV money to fund her league. She “might” get it. (Might).
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 pm Poor AAF thought it was more important to get out in front of the XFL. The money required was a killer. That amount of money is still a killer, and may stifle the XFL. Something you’ve already pointed out.

Dany wants TV money to fund her league. She “might” get it. (Might).
I don't disagree with DG that the XFL 2.0 was worthy of a paying TV deal. (That wasn't what VM was thinking up front in his go HUGE first strategy of course). Trouble is this isn't XFL 2.0. That's why I was soooo disappointed in the delay to 2022. That was the end of XFL 2.0. I believe that was a strategic error.

That is going to make investment into XFL now 3.0 that much harder. The TV Networks may be willing to pay a TV deal that partial funds a NEW league but they aren't looking to make others rich at their expense. XFL 3.0 is no different than anyother upstart without funding. What I'm saying is they need skin in the game and if unable or unwilling they should sell back to VM.

Like the TSL or not the TSL model is properly funded. That makes its future not in doubt. That makes it easier to partner with, and invest TV resources and scheduling. And that success can breed financial success for the TSL which grows over time - TSL has so far done that. This is a huge step for them.

AS far as AAF - yep Ebersol not only screwed the AAF but likely the XFL too. But... I knew another league would rise up shortly, but 1 day after the XFL suspended till 2022? WOW - that was fast.
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:53 pm Thumbs up to FS1 coverage and TV prod values in this game. Lighting at stadium is excellent.

The FXFL actually has one man standing in the NFL: Jordan Dangerfield, a backup safety for the Steelers.

I'm still not sure that between the FXFL and TSL Woods has ever had to deal with the expenses of a running an actual league (nor that you'd want him to) but as far as the actual product side it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him involved with the XFL, kind of like football's version of Paul Heyman.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:53 pm Thumbs up to FS1 coverage and TV prod values in this game. Lighting at stadium is excellent.

The FXFL actually has one man standing in the NFL: Jordan Dangerfield, a backup safety for the Steelers.

I'm still not sure that between the FXFL and TSL Woods has ever had to deal with the expenses of a running an actual league (nor that you'd want him to) but as far as the actual product side it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him involved with the XFL, kind of like football's version of Paul Heyman.
Actually he has, just not at the scale of the AAF or XFL. The FXFL yr one was $8-9mm budget.

Woods apparently can put an organization together from soup to nuts back office, on field and make deals. He has learned alot.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:13 am

Actually he has, just not at the scale of the AAF or XFL. The FXFL yr one was $8-9mm budget.

Woods apparently can put an organization together from soup to nuts back office, on field and make deals. He has learned alot.
True, he is in the game, just not on the "real money" scale.

Then again, that still puts him ahead of the XFL, which on an accelerated timeline is going to make its first real move by at least January--in which another partnership (in some ways a merger, cause that would be infrastructure) would almost be it
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:13 am

True, he is in the game, just not on the "real money" scale.

Then again, that still puts him ahead of the XFL, which on an accelerated timeline is going to make its first real move by at least January--in which another partnership (in some ways a merger, cause that would be infrastructure) would almost be it
What says there will be a big XFL move by January? and What merger are you alluding to?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:08 pm What says there will be a big XFL move by January? and What merger are you alluding to?
Not a real merger, but a partnership deal--can be looked at as a pseudo-merger though.

And the big January move would on an accelerated timeline:

Jan 2018: restart announcement, June 2018: Luck hired. 4-5 months of just over 24.

Here, Oct 2020: "returning in 2022", Feb 22 would be 16 months leaving somewhere between 2-3. Even kicking it out after the Olympics to as late April gives you another month or so, thus the January (possibly February) announcement of the same timeline is kept.