Yahoo Finance: What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Yahoo Finance: What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

Post by MarkNelson »

What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-to- ... 53784.html

Dany Garcia:
“When you look at the XFL, you have to look at, who are we in the next two to three years? And who are we in the next three to five years? And recognize that that's going to be a process and journey,” Garcia said.
“Are we going to be the 2001 [XFL]? No. In fact, the XFL, the X stands for ex right now, not extreme,” she joked, adding that the improved and shortened gameplay will remain. “We're actually going through a download now with players and our coaches to see what actually did work, and what didn't work, and if there were things that were a little bit rough.”
“Going forward, having media rights deals where there are no fees, that's not the option that we're looking at,” she said.
“I see ourselves as a cohort of the NFL,” she said. “Can we still get the quality of play that we need, even if we may have a player for just a few years? Our premise is yes, we absolutely can.”
“When you look at the athletes that are coming to the XFL in the next year and a half, they all have something to prove. Every play matters,” she said. “It's a little bit different than when you have a $250 million contract or a $30 million per year contract … but there's a heart and a soul to the play you see, because there is opportunity and possibility.”
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Re: Yahoo Finance: What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-to- ... 53784.html

Dany Garcia:
“When you look at the XFL, you have to look at, who are we in the next two to three years? And who are we in the next three to five years? And recognize that that's going to be a process and journey,” Garcia said.
“Are we going to be the 2001 [XFL]? No. In fact, the XFL, the X stands for ex right now, not extreme,” she joked, adding that the improved and shortened gameplay will remain. “We're actually going through a download now with players and our coaches to see what actually did work, and what didn't work, and if there were things that were a little bit rough.”
“Going forward, having media rights deals where there are no fees, that's not the option that we're looking at,” she said.
“I see ourselves as a cohort of the NFL,” she said. “Can we still get the quality of play that we need, even if we may have a player for just a few years? Our premise is yes, we absolutely can.”
“When you look at the athletes that are coming to the XFL in the next year and a half, they all have something to prove. Every play matters,” she said. “It's a little bit different than when you have a $250 million contract or a $30 million per year contract … but there's a heart and a soul to the play you see, because there is opportunity and possibility.”
Lots of the points here I've said they were doing:

1) XFL DID prove itself and ratings WERE good and way beyond expectations

2) New ownership is NOT willing to invest for long haul and NEEDS/WANTS a paying deal now. The issue

3) I hear cost cutting coming as 'we'll review what worked and didn't" and they'll eliminate what did not or was a nice to have. Get ready for salary cuts - sure kneel all you want... in exchange for a 50% paycut. THAT I can see coming.

4) VM wasn't happy with the non-paying deal after all after seeing the rating. If he bought back he'd have gotten a paying deal.- IMO

I also bet the TV nets balked at a paying deal with a group not looking to invest or invest little.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Yahoo Finance: What to expect from the XFL in its third attempt at taking on the NFL's football monopoly

Post by GregParks »

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but it sort of ties into one of the points Garcia made here. From our own Mike Mitchell on Twitter (@ByMikeMitchell):

"According to a reliable source.

#XFL President Jeffrey Pollack and Special Advisor Basil DeVito have been in communication over the last few weeks with a number of former XFL head coaches and other league and team football personnel.

Pollack has been hands-on, leading this effort in an attempt to convey a message of appreciation for 2020 and openness to hearing feedback about what worked and what didn’t. It’s an opportunity for the coaches to be heard and the feedback is a tool for the new owners of @xfl2022"
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 pm Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but it sort of ties into one of the points Garcia made here. From our own Mike Mitchell on Twitter (@ByMikeMitchell):

"According to a reliable source.

#XFL President Jeffrey Pollack and Special Advisor Basil DeVito have been in communication over the last few weeks with a number of former XFL head coaches and other league and team football personnel.

Pollack has been hands-on, leading this effort in an attempt to convey a message of appreciation for 2020 and openness to hearing feedback about what worked and what didn’t. It’s an opportunity for the coaches to be heard and the feedback is a tool for the new owners of @xfl2022"
Sure take your time talking to new owners with limited chance of working for them. Remember some of these guys sued the XFL for not paying on a 2nd yr of a contract that they haven't coached. As a matter of fact they got paid for 10 games while coaching 5. Good luck getting feed back without $$ exchanging hands.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

So, you're saying ownership shouldn't be talking to the 2020 coaches?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm So, you're saying ownership shouldn't be talking to the 2020 coaches?
i'm saying they are unlikely to respond for no compensation.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:50 pm
Tank55 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm So, you're saying ownership shouldn't be talking to the 2020 coaches?
i'm saying they are unlikely to respond for no compensation.
Why wouldn't they? There's a reason these coaches were in the XFL, and doesn't seem like their doors are being knocked down with offers elsewhere? AAF players were left high and dry yet the XFL roster was compromised 40% of AAF talent. Most of these players and coaches aren't exactly in the best position to negotiate, this isn't soccer with hundreds of paying leagues worldwide. As of now there's exactly 2 football leagues you can make a living playing for, the NFL and CFL, only one of which took the field this year.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Talking to the coaches is a mere courtesy, saying, “we’re coming back, but we won’t be calling for you right now. What went well with the XFL? What would you like to see changed? What are your concerns? If we call, will you consider coming back?”

Frankly, if I was one of these coaches I would politely acknowledge the league’s questions, because that’s about all they can do.

I bet more of them will move on, like Pep Hamilton. Some might be back, if and when the XFL returns.

Frankly, I think it’s mostly pathetic that this is what we are left to talk about. But, it is what it is.

PS. The Spring League is on FS1 tomorrow night. Probably be far more interesting, especially to see how FOX does the broadcast.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:13 am Talking to the coaches is a mere courtesy, saying, “we’re coming back, but we won’t be calling for you right now. What went well with the XFL? What would you like to see changed? What are your concerns? If we call, will you consider coming back?”

Frankly, if I was one of these coaches I would politely acknowledge the league’s questions, because that’s about all they can do.

I bet more of them will move on, like Pep Hamilton. Some might be back, if and when the XFL returns.

Frankly, I think it’s mostly pathetic that this is what we are left to talk about. But, it is what it is.

PS. The Spring League is on FS1 tomorrow night. Probably be far more interesting, especially to see how FOX does the broadcast.
Agreed its a courtesy - not much will come of it. They are likely getting a feel of who will be unavailable. Not much else will come of it.

Overall what I said earlier is valid - the new owners need money to move forward. Delaying a year just makes that even less likely.

And agreed - a lowcost league that's actually playing is probably more interesting including how Fox handles it - will be rough around the edges at first. The soft launch is smart.

- As I reread the article it all comes down to funding (as I posited on 10/2) They said they didn't have time, but clearly its about money. They want a paying TV deal to fund it. They didn't get it and delayed to 2022. The Rock was likely the salesman and it didn't happen. In their minds, not yet. Maybe some of the board insiders will get a scoop on that progress.