TSL players/coaches of interest

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: TSL players/coaches of interest

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 am
MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am I get a kick out of the way they get in a plug for OSU/Michigan with Barrett and Patterson, remember in the first Big Ten reschedule it was set to be Oct 24 before going back to where it belongs.

Unfortunately I'm also getting "Jim Zorn back to DC" vibes, in which nobody cares.
How's that?

Because much like with Zorn, they shouldn't be used as selling points. Barring the miniscule chance of Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt calling one of these games it shouldn't be in the convo other than as a side "Oh, cool" deal.

Besides, as with Zorn in Snyderland,, Patterson's time at Michigan isn't looked upon favorably by the UM faithful, so if they're going for that angle, that ain't happening.
Are you saying that a new league trying to get attention and legitimacy should not talk up getting Power5 QB's from big10 and other schools? Seems to me a great selling point for the league. Its helped my interest.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 am

How's that?

Because much like with Zorn, they shouldn't be used as selling points. Barring the miniscule chance of Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt calling one of these games it shouldn't be in the convo other than as a side "Oh, cool" deal.

Besides, as with Zorn in Snyderland,, Patterson's time at Michigan isn't looked upon favorably by the UM faithful, so if they're going for that angle, that ain't happening.
Are you saying that a new league trying to get attention and legitimacy should not talk up getting Power5 QB's from big10 and other schools? Seems to me a great selling point for the league. Its helped my interest.
Well as far as it relates to XFL2.0 if you were gonna use a coach's star power/history, Stoops was the guy, not Zorn.

I said it about a year or so ago, you can do it to an extent, but overselling makes it less legit and it looks you're trying to catch a bus in trying to show legitimacy. Hate to pick on JR, cause he's hardly the first announcer in a new league guilty of this, in XFL1.0, but every play was seemingly 'Player X' from 'University Y'--Levy did it to a degree as well. The McMahon philosophy got away from him in both versions, but needs to be used here: make the star (admittedly a loose term here) then use the past as an additional resource.

For the present, the Big 10, XFL, NFL, whatever is a nice side deal, but ultimately it doesn't matter, they're here in TSL, and six months later or whenever they come back its gonna be the same deal. And the ultimate theme should be about gridiron dreams, not "Hey we're legit, really! We've even got P5 players!"
or anything else that reminds anyone why they're not in the NFL.

That's why we had the discussion six months ago about how much to use the NFL or anything else to promote the XFL, it's a line between reference and reliance.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am .

Well as far as it relates to XFL2.0 if you were gonna use a coach's star power/history, Stoops was the guy, not Zorn.

I said it about a year or so ago, you can do it to an extent, but overselling makes it less legit and it looks you're trying to catch a bus in trying to show legitimacy. Hate to pick on JR, cause he's hardly the first announcer in a new league guilty of this, in XFL1.0, but every play was seemingly 'Player X' from 'University Y'--Levy did it to a degree as well. The McMahon philosophy got away from him in both versions, but needs to be used here: make the star (admittedly a loose term here) then use the past as an additional resource.

For the present, the Big 10, XFL, NFL, whatever is a nice side deal, but ultimately it doesn't matter, they're here in TSL, and six months later or whenever they come back its gonna be the same deal. And the ultimate theme should be about gridiron dreams, not "Hey we're legit, really! We've even got P5 players!"
or anything else that reminds anyone why they're not in the NFL.

That's why we had the discussion six months ago about how much to use the NFL or anything else to promote the XFL, it's a line between reference and reliance.
I hear ya... but.... gotta disagree. Having former big school players in the league is a selling point. At leasi IMO.
4th&long
MVP

XFL - former players in TSL fall 2020

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 1424656392

>> Several former #XFL Offensive Linemen showing up on @TheSpringLeague rosters this evening.

Among them players like Kirk Barron (SEA), Terronne Prescod (DC), Kent Perkins (STL), Dwayne Wallace (LA), Avery Young (NY), Dejon Allen (STL), Robert Myers (SEA), and Tyler Roemer (LA). <<

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 6406394885

>> Some familiar players from the #XFL announced for the rosters of @TheSpringLeague
@XFLRoughnecks LB DeMarquis Gates reunites with two of his former coaches in Houston in Blues Head Coach Ted Cotrell and Blues DC @CoachBellXFL <<

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 5207100419

>> Some of the former #XFL Linebackers in
@TheSpringLeague
DeMarquis Gates (Roughnecks)
Jawuan Johnson (Guardians)
Anthony Stubbs (BattleHaws)
Emmanuel Beal (Vipers)
Ty Schwab (Roughnecks)
James Folston Jr. (Renegades)
Jerimiah Spicer (Wildcats) <<

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 9573567491

>> An interesting group of Quarterbacks announced for @TheSpringLeague
Among them players like Zach Mettenberger, JT Barrett, Shea Patterson, Keller Chryst and McLeod Bethel Thompson.

Former @XFLVipers QB @SpotTheBall_9 has a chance to be the most dynamic player in TSL. <<

Quniton Flowers is the TB Vipers QB

There are other XFLers at other positions as well. TSL players looking to stay in FB ready shape in case NFL injuries pile up as they wait for the CFL 2021 season. With XFL suspended this opened up TSL to grab a few of these guys.
4th&long
MVP

CFL Draft pick opts for TSL

Post by 4th&long »

https://3downnation.com/2020/10/17/b-c- ... ng-league/

>> Court Hammond is joining the Jousters, one of six teams slated to play a five-week season that gets underway later this month. All games are taking place inside a bubble located in San Antonio, Texas.

The six-foot-six, 275-pound defensive tackle was a third-round pick of the B.C. Lions in the 2020 CFL draft.

The Spring League will serve as an opportunity for Hammond to develop his skills and get film ahead of the 2021 season.<<
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Might as well play in Spring League on FS. Get some exposure. CFL is not happening until next year. Maybe.
4th&long
MVP

TSL has Mike Singletary coaching LBs

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 1351089153

>>NFL Hall of Famer, Super Bowl Champ, and former 49ers head coach, Mike Singletary (@CoachMSing
) is coaching up the LBs and Defense for Bart Andrus' Generals at #TSL2020.<<

Another Video had June Jones... He may have been a guest, not sure
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Seeing how many repeat players are showing up on these rosters, I wonder if Woods has waived the sign-up fee for them. I can't imagine players wanting to come back having to pony up $2,000 a session.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 pm Seeing how many repeat players are showing up on these rosters, I wonder if Woods has waived the sign-up fee for them. I can't imagine players wanting to come back having to pony up $2,000 a session.
I brought this up earlier as well, do you think he waived the fee for name players (esp QBs) ? Repeat players makes sense they know the coaches and the TSL in a short week to get ready for 1st game.