Will the XFL Allow Kneeling as a Form of Protest?

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

Re: Will the XFL Allow Kneeling as a Form of Protest?

Post by Joker »

Speculation and arguing... are we going to do this for another 8-9 months waiting for the XFL to hire some staff and reconstitute teams? I can’t go that long looking at a long chain of disagreement.

I really had high hopes for these new owners, and maybe they can still do it, but so far it’s all talk and that bugs me. I think I will bow out of here until something more substantial happens.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Whenever people talk about kneeling they stop talking about football. Colin Kaepernick really did a number on people. If kneeling is allowed in the XFL it won’t make me less excited for the football. The football is separate.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

WOW, I can't believe the negativity on the board lately. I for one choose to have hope and belief that the owners can and will make this happen.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Firecop wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:32 pm WOW, I can't believe the negativity on the board lately. I for one choose to have hope and belief that the owners can and will make this happen.
I'm with you. Not saying it will work, but I'm excited to see how it will play out.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 am
Firecop wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:32 pm WOW, I can't believe the negativity on the board lately. I for one choose to have hope and belief that the owners can and will make this happen.
I'm with you. Not saying it will work, but I'm excited to see how it will play out.
Negativity or diminished expectations? I call it the later.

When VM annouced the new XFL he said there would be a 2 year play and he quickly committed $300mm. Shortly after OL got hired and others did as the weeks and months went on. Teams and coaches were announced along with a monster TV deal. Then they played 5 great games.... until China ruined everything.

Now we have been told that no 2021 season is taking place - despite a viable plan and covid easing and economy comeback faster than expected in April. That it is a complete reboot (ie XFL 3.0) vs a continuation. We hear fluff like 'we'll give it every thing we got'; that this is 'humbling' and virtue signaling - '1st woman owner of sports league' (yawn), and this is for the players to express themselves (I though it was about FB entertainment myself and making money... oh well).
That was followed by rumors of basically no news expected till June 2021 (really??). Also the day after XFL kicked the can down the road Fox signs deal with TSL for fall & spring and a multi year contract with ownership position available to be acquired.

NONE of the above is positive for the future of the XFL returning in 2022 (2 years since 5 games played!), so you are going to see these posts. Worse would be people give up entirely and no posts at all - which is prevalent on social media and even on here.

Let's face it - XFLboard is a great site and great discussion board. I hope it sticks around regardless.
Uncle Coaster
Receiver

Post by Uncle Coaster »

As a fan, I was hoping for football in 2021 but as someone rooting for the XFL to succeed I’m ok with the decision. I personally think the worst thing that could have happened in public perception would have been either a shortened season or a season with less than eight teams.

Anecdotally, from what I’ve seen on non-XFL forums many people think that COVID was a convenient excuse for the XFL to cut their season short. I don’t agree but I’ve seen it and the general comments I got from casual fans were not positive. I think John Q Public seeing AAF cutting its season short in 2019, then XFL cutting its season short in 2020 followed by XFL only trying a partial season in 2021 (less games or less teams) would have been close to a death wish.

IMO, the next XFL season must be a full season start to finish in real cities and in front of fans.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Dude, writing that screed once would qualify as a change in expectations. Doing it every single day is being negative. We get it.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 pm Dude, writing that screed once would qualify as a change in expectations. Doing it every single day is being negative. We get it.
Some one made a comment, I replied. We also had new news from the new ownership.

I surmise the discussion will shift to the TSL as that opens up next week and XFL will be pretty quiet.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Big Deal Fox signed a deal with TSL. ESPN once owned part of the Arena Football League and they barely gave it any coverage on their shows. TSL is merely filler as there's no hockey, or basketball being played in its traditional season. Why shouldn't the Rock be humble and say this is challenging? In 50 years no alternative football league has thrived, let alone thrived. The USFL had a shot and lost hundreds of millions in 3 short seasons. Yes the arena league had a nice run, but even then it was just a step above where MLS currently is now.

Players taking a knee? Big whoop, it's a second tier football game not the War of 1812, honestly the anthem should just be replaced with "Welcome to the Jungle" to get the fans amped up before kickoff. Finally, yes the virus may have come from China, but nearly every major country has dealt with it much better than we have. Things are mostly back to normal in Japan, Australia, Scandinavia (sans Sweden) and most of Asia, yet here we are at 200k+ dead. There's no vaccine around the corner and it will be a while before things return to normal. If VKM was so invested in the league he should have never folded and declared bankruptcy. Just furlough most of the staff, while keeping a skeleton crew and some social media presence until they kicked off again. It's like breaking up with your girlfriend then returning months later and being pissed that she moved on, Vince had his shot (technically 2) and it didn't work. Whether it was his fault or not, he ultimately gave up and it's time the XFL moves on with new leadership and vision.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 pm Big Deal Fox signed a deal with TSL. ESPN once owned part of the Arena Football League and they barely gave it any coverage on their shows. TSL is merely filler as there's no hockey, or basketball being played in its traditional season. Why shouldn't the Rock be humble and say this is challenging? In 50 years no alternative football league has thrived, let alone thrived. The USFL had a shot and lost hundreds of millions in 3 short seasons. Yes the arena league had a nice run, but even then it was just a step above where MLS currently is now.

Players taking a knee? Big whoop, it's a second tier football game not the War of 1812, honestly the anthem should just be replaced with "Welcome to the Jungle" to get the fans amped up before kickoff. Finally, yes the virus may have come from China, but nearly every major country has dealt with it much better than we have. Things are mostly back to normal in Japan, Australia, Scandinavia (sans Sweden) and most of Asia, yet here we are at 200k+ dead. There's no vaccine around the corner and it will be a while before things return to normal. If VKM was so invested in the league he should have never folded and declared bankruptcy. Just furlough most of the staff, while keeping a skeleton crew and some social media presence until they kicked off again. It's like breaking up with your girlfriend then returning months later and being pissed that she moved on, Vince had his shot (technically 2) and it didn't work. Whether it was his fault or not, he ultimately gave up and it's time the XFL moves on with new leadership and vision.
Wrong on virus: most major western countries have similar fatalities (and demographics). Certainly NY/NJ upped our fatality %.

USA - 222k at 331mm people or .067% of population
NY/NJ - 50k at 28.4mm people or .18% of population
USA w/o NY NJ - 303mm people or .057% of population

But either way we are in line with many large and small western countries:

UK - 43k at 68mm people or .063% of population
Spain - 34k at 46.8mm or .072% of pop
France - 33k at 65mm or .051% of population
Italy - 36k at 60mm or .060% of pop
Belgium - 10k at 11.6mm or .089% of pop

Brazil - 153k at 213mm or .072% of pop

Its all there in black and white. And China is the source.

And the list goes on... Link below - so let's be clear here - USA in line with most of western world period. NY messed up and the many states did early on with nursing homes and that was painful, but we are passed that - which is good!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Vac is coming and therapeutics have gotten better and better.

Keep in mind a flu season is 35-60k deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

All this is bad news in the past and good news presently and going forward.

BTW if interested here's another good site that links to ALL State official covid sites. These # are actually less and around 210k fatalities.
https://covidtracking.com/data