The Spring League is coming to Fox Sports

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: The Spring League is coming to Fox Sports

Post by GregParks »

I mean, it's THE ROCK - I don't think he's going to have trouble making connections with anyone in the sports world even if he doesn't have a longstanding public relationship like McMahon and Ebersol had (and we don't know for sure that he doesn't). I'm not sure production means a whole lot either as gameday production should be handled by whatever network they're on and not The Rock's own company, though any kind of shoulder programming could be handled by them. I think the new group's ideas on that is what I'm most curious about.

But you're right, I don't think finding interested TV partners is the issue, rather, it's the funding of the product. I'm assuming that's the point of RedBird Capital's association with the group but that remains to be seen.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:40 pm I mean, it's THE ROCK - I don't think he's going to have trouble making connections with anyone in the sports world even if he doesn't have a longstanding public relationship like McMahon and Ebersol had (and we don't know for sure that he doesn't). I'm not sure production means a whole lot either as gameday production should be handled by whatever network they're on and not The Rock's own company, though any kind of shoulder programming could be handled by them. I think the new group's ideas on that is what I'm most curious about.

But you're right, I don't think finding interested TV partners is the issue, rather, it's the funding of the product. I'm assuming that's the point of RedBird Capital's association with the group but that remains to be seen.
Exactly.

Also I don't get the ' we won't be hearing much until June 2021 '.... It seems the lead time to a season isn't the issue, which is not much different from playing 2021 (6 vs 8) months.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:29 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm

The Rock has TV connections, they will find TV partners.
He does? Based on hat, being a star? This is different. I'm not saying they won't show him the courtesy but that's not connections. Unless you know of any specific?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bucks_Productions
That's all well and good, but there's been at least a couple shows that did/have done what people bitched about the XFL doing, starting off hot and cooling down. One was one-and-done (The Hero), the other is on deck (Titan Games). They aren't all Ballers.

Of course that's why you do the designated sports slots (Sat-Sun afternoon) because it doesn't matter all that much if you're a building/second-tier league, at least right away.

Which is also why a 2021 showcase season would have worked, especially later in the year. Doesn't have to be anything but keeping your foot in the door, that way it's hard to use the XFL3.0 tag if you've made the attempt at consecutive seasons.

Now, it's going to have to be a real production that says 'you can't wait to see us next March' (I'm going with March since that avoids the Olympics), otherwise you're looking at having the 'info gathering' season that MLFB had in 2016 when they decided they couldn't play--and as you could probably tell they still haven't made it to the field.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm
GregParks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:29 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 pm

He does? Based on hat, being a star? This is different. I'm not saying they won't show him the courtesy but that's not connections. Unless you know of any specific?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bucks_Productions
That's all well and good, but there's been at least a couple shows that did/have done what people bitched about the XFL doing, starting off hot and cooling down. One was one-and-done (The Hero), the other is on deck (Titan Games). They aren't all Ballers.

Of course that's why you do the designated sports slots (Sat-Sun afternoon) because it doesn't matter all that much if you're a building/second-tier league, at least right away.

Which is also why a 2021 showcase season would have worked, especially later in the year. Doesn't have to be anything but keeping your foot in the door, that way it's hard to use the XFL3.0 tag if you've made the attempt at consecutive seasons.

Now, it's going to have to be a real production that says 'you can't wait to see us next March' (I'm going with March since that avoids the Olympics), otherwise you're looking at having the 'info gathering' season that MLFB had in 2016 when they decided they couldn't play--and as you could probably tell they still haven't made it to the field.
The bold above is what I've also been expressing. Your "foot in door" analogy is correct. And you nailed it well here - this is now XFL 3.0 not a continuation of 2020. That's what was a major disappointment. And the effort level and need to resell the league just went from 1x to 5x effort.

I think the effort went way up, and it makes me think 'buyers remorse' or 'cold feet' by the new group since they passed on a 2021 season (of any form). No other sports league is passing on 2021. And carrying a legacy of a 5 week season over 2 years is not going to work.

Also the FOX announcement with TSL after XFL bailed is not a good sign IMO.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Oh, interesting. I was wondering what 4th&long thought about the situation. Thanks for finally clearing that up.

Are players paying to play in TSL this year?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am Oh, interesting. I was wondering what 4th&long thought about the situation. Thanks for finally clearing that up.

Are players paying to play in TSL this year?
Gladly!! :mrgreen:

On TSL ? I doubt it, but who knows. They haven't so far and its worked, plus they may be able to avoid WC ins and other rules/cost if its not employment but rather like paying for a teen sports camp. Which is essentially what it is, but for young adults looking for a chance as NFL, CFL, XFL ( :mrgreen: ) or even Indoor.