TSL gets TV deal - but XFL can't? Wow!

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: TSL gets TV deal - but XFL can't? Wow!

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm Look the TSL is no XFL 2.0 - no s##t. My point was the timing of this deal, speed of it, and structure tells me Fox was ready for XFL, wanted spring FB and lost confidence and can guide TSL as needed.
Fox was committed to the XFL, that much we know—more than ESPN and ABC were. (Though I think ABC might still have enough of an opening.)

But what TSL is replacing isn't the XFL. It's college basketball—most colleges have delayed or cut their non-conference schedules, which usually start in November. Note TSL's schedule this time around: late October through late November. College basketball is a huge chunk of sports networks' schedules from November to early March. (Plus you have the NBA and NHL also delaying their seasons, but Fox doesn't own rights to either one of those and NBA's main partner TNT can always show scripted stuff.) Its only competition will be MACtion over on ESPN.

I give a lot of credit to Brian Woods for finding an opening and exploiting it.

Besides, as they showed in summer of 2019, TSL and the XFL can co-exist and in fact help each other because they serve different roles.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:43 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm Look the TSL is no XFL 2.0 - no s##t. My point was the timing of this deal, speed of it, and structure tells me Fox was ready for XFL, wanted spring FB and lost confidence and can guide TSL as needed.
Fox was committed to the XFL, that much we know—more than ESPN and ABC were. (Though I think ABC might still have enough of an opening.)

But what TSL is replacing isn't the XFL. It's college basketball—most colleges have delayed or cut their non-conference schedules, which usually start in November. Note TSL's schedule this time around: late October through late November. College basketball is a huge chunk of sports networks' schedules from November to early March. (Plus you have the NBA and NHL also delaying their seasons, but Fox doesn't own rights to either one of those and NBA's main partner TNT can always show scripted stuff.) Its only competition will be MACtion over on ESPN.

I give a lot of credit to Brian Woods for finding an opening and exploiting it.

Besides, as they showed in summer of 2019, TSL and the XFL can co-exist and in fact help each other because they serve different roles.
Its not a good sign for the XFL which had plenty of time to field a 4-6 team 6-8 week short season at a fraction of the cost of 2020. They could have had 2/4 teams be Houston and Dallas and played all games there as they will allow fans. a 4 team 6 week +1 champ would be 13 GAMES vs 43 in 2020. They would not need a 53 man roster 42 would do, no team 9 etc... it would be a hybrid bubble. Dallas/Houston at home NY/LA as pure road.

The only reason they didn't is money - they can work really hard and post BS videos all they want. They were not willing to part with the money and if they won't now they won't in 2022. That's what the bottomline is. That's why I'm of this opinion and that is why i'm saying its a major disappointment to skip 2021.
And FOX heard that loud and clear and went with the lessor league - The timing of the TSL deal and how quick TSL needs to move to make it happen says they weren't pleased with XFL direction.
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yes, it's about the money. The expectation is that conditions will be more economically favorable in 2021. It's pretty weird that you take such offense to that.

It definitely comes across like you have an axe to grind with the new ownership that goes beyond the not at all unreasonable business decision to not play in 2021. I don't know if it's political or cultural or what, but it's getting really tiresome.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I know there is disappointment in waiting until 2022. I do think there are positives in waiting, but I do join you in the disappointment.

It is their decision, and they probably had no choice. As to whether they are sincere in their 2022 pledge, I believe they are 100%. However, I know there are ways that even best made plans can change. It's the reality of life.

I have to feel for the players, many of who were counting on an opportunity to hit the field in 2021. Now they have to wait another year? Sadly, it will mean the end to many football careers.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

We run the risk of being victims of our own impatience! To me, the TSL deal is basically filler and who knows how long those negotiations have been going on - possibly pre-XFL deal? Based on their popularity, reputations, knowledge, and bank accounts, I'd hazard a guess that the XFL ownership is a whole lot smarter than me. As a result, I am willing to be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell and time is what it will take.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

We run the risk of being victims of our own impatience! To me, the TSL deal is basically filler and who knows how long those negotiations have been going on - possibly pre-XFL deal? Based on their popularity, reputations, knowledge, and bank accounts, I'd hazard a guess that the XFL ownership is a whole lot smarter than me. As a result, I am willing to be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell and time is what it will take.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 am https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/pr-fox- ... ng-league/

>>Today it was announced that Fox Sports and The Spring League have reached a TV deal.<<

The timing of this deal on the heals of a NO GO XFL 2021 is very curious. Sounds like Fox isn't waiting for XFL 202x. So XFL says no 2021 and Fox inks deal with Brian Wood's TSL? Tells me XFL blew it.

GEE that didn't take long.

>> LOS ANGELES (AP) — Fox Sports has reached a multi-year agreement to televise The Spring League along with the option to acquire a minority stake in the league.

The Spring League will begin its fall season on Oct. 27 with six teams competing in a 12-game format over four weeks in San Antonio. Fox Sports 1 will air games on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The league has previously been used by the XFL and Alliance of American Football before they started playing. The XFL and AAF ceased operations midway through their first seasons. The XFL, though, was recently acquired by a group led by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with hopes of resuming play in 2022.

The Spring League CEO Brian Woods said in a statement that they are conducting a fall season in order to give more playing and development opportunities due to reductions in rosters during NFL training camps and the CFL canceling its season. TSL does plan to return to a spring season next year.

This will be the fourth season for The Spring League. The league says almost 100 of its players were signed to NFL contracts and 65 to CFL deals. The league’s most famous alum is 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, who played two seasons for the Cleveland Browns.<<

OMG - They did EXACTLY what I said the XFL should do - A scaled down season of 4-6 teams and 6 - 8 games? AMAZING.
Duh obvious and these guys with all their 'name' power could not pull it off.

TSL going back to traditional spring format 2021; And FOX can buy into the league! That's 2 seasons of TSL before XFL hits ground in 2022? NOT happening. If they weren't playing in 2021 what was the point of buying the XFL?

TRANSLATION - XFL lost one of its TV partners, to a network that WILL be an owner in the league.

They should have played in 2021 and gotten FOX on board, Fox was so hungry for more Football (as I've illustrated in other threads). XFL toast - IMO. We are back to 2 spring leagues and TSL has FOX muscle now behind it.

Like I said with XFL announcement - MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. Now this - Good luck. Good for B Woods who never gave up from FXFL to TSL. He has balz

Discuss

You do realize that the XFL after Vince did what he did, the majority of the of the staff was fired right? There is no way that the league could been ready in under six months of ownership to be ready in Feb. It had nothing to do with unable to get a TV deal but more being a ready. Understand that all the teams staff where all fired by Vince. There is a lot of holds they need to fill in order to be able be a long term success.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Remember the ungodly amount of money the UFL and AAF lost by playing before all their ducks were in order. You don't just sign multi-million dollar deals with Pepsi, Budweiser, Geico, etc. overnight. These deals take months and months of back and forth, probably even more now with Covid. There's no players, coaches, front office, stadium deals, or anything besides used equipment and team names right now. Rome wasn't built in a day, let them come back in 2022 with 15k+ PAYING fans per game, network televison, and big name sponsors on the field and telecasts and this may be the one spring league that is actually successful.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:58 am Yes, it's about the money. The expectation is that conditions will be more economically favorable in 2021. It's pretty weird that you take such offense to that.

It definitely comes across like you have an axe to grind with the new ownership that goes beyond the not at all unreasonable business decision to not play in 2021. I don't know if it's political or cultural or what, but it's getting really tiresome.
There is nothing in my post directed personally at the new ownership group - why would I??

No this is just a major disappointment and set back for a league announced in Jan 2018 to go 4 years with 5 weeks played.

This is about stalling to get more investors involved IMO and that's not happening ESPECIALLY if the suspend for 2021. If not willing to put own skin in game they shouldn't have purchased. i gave a low cost, workable, scaled down season idea in post above and the XFL had something similar prime to auction.

Under that logic, NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL should not be playing Fall of 2020 thru Dec 2021. Is that realistic ? No They will be playing.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:31 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:58 am Yes, it's about the money. The expectation is that conditions will be more economically favorable in 2021. It's pretty weird that you take such offense to that.

There is nothing in my post directed personally at the new ownership group - why would I??

No this is just a major disappointment and set back for a league announced in Jan 2018 to go 4 years with 5 weeks played.

This is about stalling to get more investors involved IMO and that's not happening ESPECIALLY if the suspend for 2021. If not willing to put own skin in game they shouldn't have purchased. i gave a low cost, workable, scaled down season idea in post above and the XFL had something similar prime to auction.

Under that logic, NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL should not be playing Fall of 2020 thru Dec 2021. Is that realistic ? No They will be playing.
OK.

Let's first tackle the investors thing. You've mentioned this in a few posts, and I realize you're couching it as your opinion, but let's also point out there is zero evidence to support this theory. The ownership group had plenty of time to look over the books of the XFL. It would be lunacy for them to buy something like the XFL then AFTER the purchase decide they need more money to run it, no matter how much they initially put in. You don't get to be as successful as these folks by throwing money away like that. I feel like some are shocked by this and wanting to attribute malice to this idea, but waiting until 2022 was a realistic option from the outset of the purchase (discussed and written about by many), even if it's unsatisfying for a lot of fans.

Secondly, the bubble. Yes, the XFL had a bubble plan to deal with the pandemic. We don't know all the details of it but we know it was part of the IP purchased in the bankruptcy. However, the key you seem to be missing is the bubble plan was created with the idea XFL 2.0 would still be running - that is, TV contracts, sponsorships, players, coaches, executives, all the infrastructure would still be there. They're not. And those things don't just reappear overnight. That's also a point that has been brought up by folks in responses to your posts that I haven't seen you address (and apologies if I missed it). I'd be curious your thoughts on it. The point I made in another thread is even if the new ownership group wanted desperately to give it a go in 2021, there may have been outside forces (contracts to be negotiated, wait time on sponsorships, leases, COVID testing details, TV deals, etc.) that wouldn't allow them to move forward as they'd like to have done.

I also hope you can clarify your last point in the quoted post above - because it sounds like you're comparing the XFL's situation (and perhaps ability to play amidst the pandemic?) of new ownership and having to build teams and staffs back from the ground up, with already established billion-dollar major sports leagues with infrastructures and TV contracts the XFL is lacking. But that can't be right.
@gregmparks