Path clears for spring football

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Path clears for spring football

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

The last holdout among Division I-FBS college football, the MAC, has scuttled its plans to play in the spring and will resume play this November. (Anyone who follows the MAC knows that that's when the MAC usually begins to get most of its prime TV appearances, because ESPN's Tuesday and Wednesday night time slots open up after the World Series, so it was a logical starting point for a delayed season.)
https://www.radio.com/wben/news/ub-mac- ... n-november

Coupled with the Big Ten and Pac-12 launching their delayed seasons in the fall, that clears out most of the football competition from the spring, including the entire FBS. What's left is mostly smaller colleges, some of the HBCUs, and a few states' high school programs (such as New York's).

For all intents and purposes, what appeared to be a roadblock for the XFL returning in 2021 has been cleared.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Path clears for spring football

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:46 pm The last holdout among Division I-FBS college football, the MAC, has scuttled its plans to play in the spring and will resume play this November. (Anyone who follows the MAC knows that that's when the MAC usually begins to get most of its prime TV appearances, because ESPN's Tuesday and Wednesday night time slots open up after the World Series, so it was a logical starting point for a delayed season.)
https://www.radio.com/wben/news/ub-mac- ... n-november

Coupled with the Big Ten and Pac-12 launching their delayed seasons in the fall, that clears out most of the football competition from the spring, including the entire FBS. What's left is mostly smaller colleges, some of the HBCUs, and a few states' high school programs (such as New York's).

For all intents and purposes, what appeared to be a roadblock for the XFL returning in 2021 has been cleared.
Never had a doubt... CFB in spring was a stupid idea. There was no need for it.

China-covid has virtually no impact on young people... the players, parents and more and more people know that.

https://twitter.com/RickLeventhal/statu ... 5003593728
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Just because you may never get physically ill......you could still be exposed and you could infect others. It's called asymptomatic. You are not infallible. And if spring football is a dumb idea......than I guess the XFL is a dumb idea. It should play in the fall. If at all.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:06 pm Just because you may never get physically ill......you could still be exposed and you could infect others. It's called asymptomatic. You are not infallible. And if spring football is a dumb idea......than I guess the XFL is a dumb idea. It should play in the fall. If at all.
He said college football in spring was a bad idea, it's why big schools haven't played in it in over 100 years, the G5s balked at it a few years back, and only FCSs are doing it cause most of them don't have major spring sports in addition to football being effectively the entire athletic program.

Interestingly enough, North Dakota State plays Central Arkansas on Saturday, then resumes the rest of their schedule with the MVFC in February. They'll have Trey Lance for that game, and play without him the rest of the way as he bounces for the NFL Draft. Any more questions?
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

So Rock and Dany didn't purchase this thing to kill it off. But here's a way they could go forward at least for now.....because of the "new normal" we're all supposed to be adapting to.....I've mentioned the premiere lacrosse league model before....one that has all it's teams play week to week in one location.....bringing all the teams to that location and stage all four weekend games there.....empty of course, or maybe as much as 25% of venue capacity....masks being mandatory. The teams would no longer have city designations....I know I know BOOOOOOO.....but there's only eight teams so you could possibly do that. Not the most desirable option.....it wouldn't be popular with with the fans in towns that showed support like St. Louis.....but it's an option all the same. Would save on production costs as well because you would only need one crew to cover all the games for a given week. And it would still provide those fringe players a gateway.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Sounder wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:06 pm Just because you may never get physically ill......you could still be exposed and you could infect others. It's called asymptomatic. You are not infallible. And if spring football is a dumb idea......than I guess the XFL is a dumb idea. It should play in the fall. If at all.
He said college football in spring was a bad idea, it's why big schools haven't played in it in over 100 years, the G5s balked at it a few years back, and only FCSs are doing it cause most of them don't have major spring sports in addition to football being effectively the entire athletic program.

Interestingly enough, North Dakota State plays Central Arkansas on Saturday, then resumes the rest of their schedule with the MVFC in February. They'll have Trey Lance for that game, and play without him the rest of the way as he bounces for the NFL Draft. Any more questions?
Thx MGB. - Yes I was specifially speaking of CFB in spring. That was a stupid idea that died as we get closer to the election and end to the china-political-covid fear mongering.

Sounder - agreed at younger ages you could be exposed and infect others - for a short time. However, Once you had it and get over it quickly and immunity builds you don't carry it - immunity resides in Tcells after the antibodies are no longer active. And since the young don't get physically ill, the hysteria over the virus is over blown. Also younger people interact more and are high spreaders.

So as young people (35 or 30yo and under) get it in large numbers the virus will slow its spreading as immunity builds in those age groups. And the general population will have less cases also as the older populations are more careful.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:22 am So Rock and Dany didn't purchase this thing to kill it off. But here's a way they could go forward at least for now.....because of the "new normal" we're all supposed to be adapting to.....I've mentioned the premiere lacrosse league model before....one that has all it's teams play week to week in one location.....bringing all the teams to that location and stage all four weekend games there.....empty of course, or maybe as much as 25% of venue capacity....masks being mandatory. The teams would no longer have city designations....I know I know BOOOOOOO.....but there's only eight teams so you could possibly do that. Not the most desirable option.....it wouldn't be popular with with the fans in towns that showed support like St. Louis.....but it's an option all the same. Would save on production costs as well because you would only need one crew to cover all the games for a given week. And it would still provide those fringe players a gateway.
That is 5 months away and 3+ months after the election. A vaccine will be out between Nov-Dec. 90% of people going to games will be under 50 and not at high risk. The XFL should plan on playing in cities. If select cities won't allow in person by Feb suspend those teams for one season. It saves costs, and they DRC/XFL-3.0 can blame it on the city not cost savings - win win.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Thx MGB. - Yes I was specifially speaking of CFB in spring. That was a stupid idea that died as we get closer to the election and end to the china-political-covid fear mongering.

Sounder - agreed at younger ages you could be exposed and infect others - for a short time. However, Once you had it and get over it quickly and immunity builds you don't carry it - immunity resides in Tcells after the antibodies are no longer active. And since the young don't get physically ill, the hysteria over the virus is over blown. Also younger people interact more and are high spreaders.

So as young people (35 or 30yo and under) get it in large numbers the virus will slow its spreading as immunity builds in those age groups. And the general population will have less cases also as the older populations are more careful.
So in your honest opinion it will be like the common cold? It's always there but we have medicine to manage it like the cold? If so I hope you are right.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm

So in your honest opinion it will be like the common cold? It's always there but we have medicine to manage it like the cold? If so I hope you are right.
I never compared to common cold. I'm just regurgitating Covid reports. Unlike common cold, Covid has immunity. For younger people the # of Asymptomatic and mild cases is the vast majority. Look at Florida fatalities /Hospitalizations by age and those are ONLY reported cases. Actual cases is 6-24x reported cases.

Under counted cases:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/heal ... matic.html

Florida deaths/Hospitalization/deaths:
http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partn ... latest.pdf
132 fatalities under 35yo Figure that's 36-40% of population or 7.5-8.5 Million or 1/60,000

Population reference for Florida;
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/FL